Chemical Process Technology – II
Paper Code: CHE 602
Oils & Fats: Methods of extracting vegetable oils (Process Description and Flow sheet). Hydrogenation of oils (Process description & flow sheet) and major engineering problems.
Soaps, Detergents & Glycerin: Classification of cleansing compounds, uses, Methods of soap production, Methods of detergent manufacture, Methods of production of Glycerin. Process description & flow sheet of each process.
Sugar and starch industries: Manufacturing process with flow diagram, Sugar refining, manufacturing process of starch and their different by-products.
Fermentation industries: Industrial Alcohol, Absolute Alcohol; their production process with flow diagram.
Agrichemical industries: Pesticides: Insecticides, Fungicides, Herbicides– Varieties of insecticides and methods of preparation and uses, Classification of herbicides and methods of preparation, DDT manufacturing process and flow sheet.
Unit operation in organic synthesis: nitration, sulfonation, amination, Halogenation, Hydrolysis with examples.
Petrochemicals : Methanol, Vinyl chloride, Ethylene oxide, Isopropanol, Butadiene, Phenol and Pthalic anhydride – their manufacturing process with flow diagram and engineering problems.
Synthetic Fibre industry: Rayon, Nylon, Terelyne – Methods of production and flow diagrams.
Polymerisation: Principles of polymerization, Different methods of polymerization, manufacturing process and flow diagram for Polyethylene, PVC and Phenol formaldehyde.
Rubber industry: Natural and synthetic rubber (SBR, Butyl rubber).
Text Books / References:
- Dryden, C. E., and Rao, M.G. (Ed.), Outlines of Chemical Technology Affiliated East West Press
- Austins, G.T., Sherve’s Chemical Process Industries, MGH 5th Edn.
- Venkateswarlu, S. (Ed.) Chemtech (II) Chemical Engineering Development Centre, IIT, Madras
- Kirk & Othmer (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology
- A Text on Petrochemicals: B.K.B. Rao, Khanna Publisers.
- Unit operation in organic systhesis : P.H. Groggins.