Power System III
1. Objectives of Power System Operation
Power Systems in Restructured Environment; Distributed and Dispersed Generation; Environment Aspects of Electric
2. Economic Operation of Energy Generation Systems
Generation Cost Curves; Economic Operation of Thermal System; Plant Scheduling; Transmission Loss and Penalty
Factor; Hydro-Thermal Scheduling; Concept of Reserves and Constraints; Unit Commitment.
3. Automatic Generation Control
Concept of AVR and ALFC Loops, Significance of Double Loop in ALFC; Exciter and VAR Control; Single Area
Load Frequency Control; Two Area Load Frequency Control; Frequency Response.
4. Compensation in Power System
Reactive Power Sensitivity and Voltage Control; Load Compensation with Capacitor Banks; Line Compensation with
Reactors; Shunt and Series Compensation; Fixed Series Capacitors; Thyristor Controlled Series Capacitors;
Introduction to SVC and STATCOM.
5. Power System Transients
Types of System Transients; Overvoltage in Transmission Lines; Propagation of Surges and Travelling Waves;
Protection Against Lightning and Surges;
1. Power System Engineering, Kothari & Nagrath, Mc Graw Hill
2. Power System Analysis, Granger and Stevension, Mc Graw Hill
3. Electric Power Genration operation and control, Wood and Woolenberg, Willey.
1. Power system stability and Control, P. Kundur , Mc Graw Hill
2. Modern power system analysis, Kothari & Nagrath, Mc.Graw Hill
3. Power system Analysis, Nagsarkar & Sukhija, Pearson
4. Power system analysis, operation and control, Chakrabarti and Halder, PHI
5. Book of Elgand.