Single Phase Induction Motor: Construction, Double revolving field theory, Cross field theory,
Starting methods, Speed-Torque characteristics, Phasor diagram, Condition of Maximum torque,
Determination of equivalent circuit parameters, Testing of Single phase motors, Applications. Single
phase AC series motor, Compensated and uncompensated motors.
Synchronous machines: Construction, Types, Excitation systems, Generator & Motor modes,
Armature reaction, Theory for salient pole machine, Two reaction theory, Voltage regulation (EMF,
MMF, ZPF). Operating characteristics of Alternators and their rating. Power angle characteristics of
Parallel operation of Alternators, Synchronous machine connected to infinite bus, effect of change of
excitation and speed of prime mover. Starting of Synchronous motor, V-curve. Damper winding,
Hunting. Short circuit transients. Applications.
Special Electromechanical devices: Principle and construction of switched Reluctance motor,
Permanent magnet machines, Brushless DC machines, Hysteresis motor, Stepper motor, Tacho
generators, Synchros & resolvers. AC servo motors, Principle, construction and operational
characteristics of Induction generator & linear Induction motor.
Numerical problems to be solved in the tutorial classes.
1. Electrical Machinery, P.S. Bhimra, Khanna Publishers.
2. Electrical Machines, Nagrath & Kothary, TMH
3. Electrical Machines, Theory & Applications, M.N. Bandyopadhyay, PHI
1. Electric Machinery & Transformer, Bhag S. Guru and H.R. Hiziroglu, 3rd Edition, Oxford University press.
2. Electric Machinery & Transformes, Irving L. Kosow, PHI
3. Electric Machinery, A.E.Fitzgerald, Charles Kingsley,Jr. & Stephen D. Umans, 6th Edition, Tata McGraw Hill
4. Electrical Machines, R.K. Srivastava, Cengage Learning
5. Theory of Alternating Current Machinery, Alexander S Langsdorf, Tata Mc Graw Hill Edition
6. The performance and Design of Alternating Current Machines, M.G.Say, CBS
publishers & distributors.
7. Problems in Electrical Engineering, Parker smith, 9th Edition, CBS publishers &
8. Electric Machines, Charles A. Gross, CRC press.