WBCS Examination Main Compulsory Question Paper - 2014 [ General Studies - I ]
[ Paper - III ]
1. The Hindustan Tibet Road connecting Shimla with Gartok in western Tibet passes through -
(A) Shilpi La pass (B) Zoji La Pass (C) Thaga La pass (D) Jelep La pass
2. Sind Sagar Doab is located between the rivers
(A) Chenab and Jhelum (B) Ravi and Chenab (C) Beas and Sutluj (D) Jhelum-Chenab and Indus
3. The Zaskar is one of the main ranges of
(A) The-great Himalayan Systems
(B) The Trans Himalayan Systems
(C) The Central Himalayan Systems
(D) The Middle Himalayan Systems
4. Jog Falls is associated with river
(A) Godavari (B) Saraswati (C) Sharavati (D) Ganga
5. The Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea came into being during
(A) Cretaceous of early tertiary period
(B) Middle of upper pleistocene period
(C) Middle Miocene to lower Pleistocene period
(D) Pleistocene to Quaternary period
6. The Bhabar is composed of
(A) Old alluvium (B) New alluvium (C) Gravel and Unassorted sediments (D) None of the above
7. Bhangar is
(A) Older alluvium (B) Newer alluvium (C) Coarse sand (D) None of the above
8. Fat lands are
(A) Stepped Plateau (B) High level laterite plateau (C) Flat topped hills (D) Plateau with isolated hills
9. Tarai soils are
(A) rich in phosphate (B) deficient in organic matter (C) mature in nature (D) rich in nitrogen
10. Which ocean deep is located in Indian Oc
(A) Murray (B) Tonga (C) Sunda (D) Mariana
11. Which statement is not true for monsoon
(A) Monsoons are large scale seasonal wind
(B) There is complete reversal of winds
(C) Rhythm is key note of the monsoonal
(D) Monsoons are not affected by ENSO
12. If the wind force is in range of Beaufort; 12, it is
(A) Tropical Depression (B) Tropical Storm (C) Tropical Disturbance (D) Hurricane
13. ‘Silent Valley’ is located in
(A) Karnataka (B) Kerala (C) Himachal Pradesh (D) Uttarakhand
14. Kudremukh National park is located in
(A) Kerala (B) Tamil Nadu (C) Karnataka (D) Andhra Pradesh
15. Which one is not a component/part of Social Forestry ?
(A) Urban forestry (B) Agro forestry (C) Commercial farm forestry (D) None of the above
16. Which one is not an objective of the social forestry ?
(A) Securing revenue
(B) Improving aesthetic values
(C) Reduction of environmental pollution
(D) To reduce pressure on the traditional forest areas
17. In which year the first Forest Policy of independent India was declared ?
(A) 1950 (B) 1951 (C) 1952 (D) 1956
18. In India, which type of forest among the following occupies the largest area ?
(A) Tropical Moist Deciduous
(B) Montane Wet Temperate
(C) Tropical Dry Deciduous
(D) Tropical Wet Evergreen
19. The Little Rann of Kutch is the only home of the
(A) Great Indian Bustard (B) Blackbuck (C) Flamingo (D) Indian Wild Ass
20. The shola grasslands are found in
(A) The Himalaya (B) The Vindhyan (C) The Western Ghats (D) The Eastern Ghats
21. Wildlife Protection Act was passed in
(A) 1970 (B) 1972 (C) 1980 (D) 1986
22. Sustainable development was first clearly defined by the
(A) Bruntland Commission (B) Rio Conference (C) United Nations (D) World Bank
23. Which year is considered as a year of great divide in the-demographic history of India ?
(A) 1921 (B) 1931 (C) 1991 (D) 2001
24. According to 2011 census, literacy rate in India is
(A) 64.83 percent (B) 65.46 percent (C) 74.04 percent (D) 82.14 percent
25. Highest scheduled caste population is found in
(A) West Bengal (B) Mizoram (C) Tripura (D) Haryana
26. Which one of the following states has the lowest sex ratio in 2011 ?
(A) Punjab (B) Haryana (C) Sikkim (D) Jammu and Kashmir
27. In 2011, the number of one million cities in India was :
(A) 23 (B) 32 (C) 35 (D) 42
28. Which state or union territory of India has recorded the highest rate of population growth in the last census (2011) ?
(A) Punjab (B) Kerala (C) Dadar and Nagar Haveli (D) Pondichery
29. What is the difference of time between GMT and IST ?
(A) 4 hours (B) 4.30 hours (C) 5.30 hours (D) 6.30 hours
30. Which of the following is an example of non renewable energy resource ?
(A) Solar (B) Coal (C) Methane (D) Hydroelectric
31. The first railway line in India was started in the year
(A) 1840 (B) 1850 (C) 1853 (D) 1893
32. Which one is not an impact of green revolution on large farmers ?
(A) Rapid increase, in agricultural productivity
(B) Fast adoption of agricultural innovations and high yielding variety of seeds
(C) Little or no change in consumption
(D) Better standard of life
33. Food security involves
(A) Adequate physical availability of food
(B) Reliable and nutritionally adequate supply of food
(C) Timely supply of food
(D) All of the above
34. Whittlesey’s agricultural systems are based on
(A) Empirical technique
(B) Statistical technique
(C) Normative technique
(D) Qualitative cum Quantitative technique
35. For which spice is Kashmir famous ?
(A) Cinnamon (B) Cloves (C) Saffron (D) Black Pepper
36. To establish the growth of Small enterprise so that they graduate to medium enterprises, a comprehensive act called the Micro. Small and Medium Enterprise Development Act came into force in the year
(A) 2006 (B) 2000 (C) 1994 (D) 1991
37. Nepanagar in Madhya Pradesh is famous for
(A) Textile (B) Newsprint paper (C) Hosiery (D) Vegetable oil
38. Which statement regarding Special Economic Zones is incorrect ?
(A) They are duty free enclaves of development
(B) They deemed as foreign territories for purpose of trade, duties and tariffs
(C) They are not exempted from the application of labour law
(D) Area is net foreign exchange earner
39. First Export Processing Zone in India was
(A) Falta (B) Kandala (C) Santa Cruz (D) Surat
40. “Which one is not a Green House Gas ?
(A) Carbon dioxide (B) Methane (C) Sulfur Hexafluoride (C) Hydro oxide
41. When did India became a member of WTO ?
(A) 1991 (B) 1994 (C) 1995 (D) 1996
42. East Kolkata Wetlands were designated a “Wetlands of international importance” under the Ramsar Convention in the year
(A) 1972 (B) 1986 (C) 1995 (D) 2002
43. Literetic soil is not deficient in
(A) Lime (B) Iron (C) Organic matter (D) Phosphate
44. Which is the highest peak in West Bengal ?
(A) Sandakfu (B) Falut (C) Sabargam (D) Tonglu
45. Which of the following districts of West Bengal has the lowest literacy rate in 2011 ?
(A) Malda (B) Murshidabad (C) Purulia (D) Uttar Dinajpur
46. The approximate percentage of land under forest in West Bengal is
(A) 20.5% (B) 13.5% (C) 15.5% (D) 28.5%
47. Which one of the following statements is incorrect ?
(A) PMGSY was initiated in 2000
(B) It is a part of rural infrastructure development programme
(C) It is backed by Employment generation programme
(D) It aims to connect all habitation in rural area
48. In land use and crop intensity model of Von Thunen’s zone of crop farming, fallow and pasture is nearer to the city than
(A) Market gardening and milk production
(B) Fire wood and lumber production
(C) Three field system
(D) Crop farming without fallow
49. North-South stretch Hooghly industrial belt is from Bansberia to
(A) Naihati (B) Budge Budge (C) Belghoria (D) Uluberia
50. In which part of the Ganga delta land building has practically ceased ?
(A) North 24-Parganas (B) South 24-Parganas (C) Nadia (D) Malda
51. At which of the following places has the largest belt of painted rock shelter of pre-historic period been found ?
(A) Bhaja (B) Bhimbetka (C) Bagor (D) Ajanta
52. Official stamping of weights and measures and their periodical inspection are prescribed by
(A) Manu (B) Narada (C) Brihaspati (D) Parasara
53. The Kharosthi script derived from
(A) Pictographs (B) Aramic (C) Sanskrit (D) Brahmi
54. Name the class which is conspicuous by its absence from the list of seven classes given by Megasthenes
(A) Artisans (B) Traders (C) Cultivatiors (D) Philosophers
55. The Gold coins of the Gupta dynasty were known as
(A) Sataman (B) Dinara (C) Muhara (D) Varaha
56. The language of the Jaina religious text was
(A) Sanskrit (B) Pali (C) Prakrit (D) Bengali
57. Which of the following sources states that Srinagar was built by Asoka ?
(A) Divyavadana (B) Rajtarangini (C) Taranath’s History of Tibet (D) Mahavamsa
58. Rummindei pillar of Asoka is put up to mark Buddha’s
(A) Birth (B) Enlightenment (C) First Sermon (D) Death
59. Which of the following work was not done by Amir Khosrue ?
(A) Dewal Rani Khisly (B) Nuh Sipih (C) Qirun us Saadain (D) Tuzuk-i-Timuri
60. Vallabhacharya was the most distinguished preacher of the
(A) Shaiva Cult (B) Shakti Cult (C) Balaram Cult (D) Krishna Cult
61. Janamsakhi is the biography of
(A) Guru Nanak (B) Guru Arjundeva (C) Guru Hargobind Sing (D) Guru Tegbahadur
62. Who translated Atharvaveda into Persian during the Mughal period ?
(A) Abdul Hamid Lahori (B) Haji Ibrahim Sarhindi (C) Khafi Khan (D) Malik Muhammad Jayasi
63. Who of the following founded the Independent Labour Party in 1936 ?
(A) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar (B) M.C. Rajah (C) Jagjiban Ram (D) Jayaprakash Narayan
64. Who was the first Indian woman to become the President of Indian National Congress ?
(A) Aruna Asaf Ali (B) Sucheta Kripalani (C) Sarojini Naidu (D) Vijayalakshmi Pandit
65. The first venture of Gandhi in all-India politics was the :
(A) Dandi March (B) Champaran Movement (C) Rowlat Satyagraha (D) Non-Cooperation Movement
66. Who among the following organized the defence in the trial of I.N.A. Officers :
(A) Bhulabhai Desai
(B) Madan Mohan Malaviya
(C) Dr. Saifuddin Kitchlew
(D) Gauesh Vasudev Mavalankar
67. The Indian National Army (l.N.A.) came into existence in 1943 in:
(A) Singapore (B) Japan (C) Then Barma (D) Then Malaya
68. Who announced Queen Victoria as the Crown of India ?
(A) Lord Wellesley (B) Lord Cornwallis (C) Lord Lytton (D) Lord Hastings
69. Who gave the slogan ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ ?
(A) Bhagat Sing (B) Hasrat Mohani (C) S. C. Bose (D) M., K. Gandhi
70. The name of our motherland ‘Bharata’ was first mentioned in
(A) Vishnu Purana (B) Vayu Purana (C) Markendaya Purana (D) Matsya Purana
71. We know about the Bactrian Greeks only from
(A) Inscirptions (B) Coins (C) Manuscripts (D) Relics
72. Who introduced Gold Coins in India ?
(A) The Mauryas (B) The Kushanas (C) The Greeks (D) The Cholas
73. Who was Minandar ?
(A) A Parthian king (B) A Bactrian Greek King (C) A Saka King (D) None of the above
74. Who wrote Milindapanha ?
(A) Asvaghosha (B) Nagarjuna (C) Basumitra (D) Nagasena
75. Which Sultan of Bengal built Madrasas in Mecca & Madina
(A) Shamsuddin Ilius Shah
(B) Shekander Shah
(C) Ghiyasuddin Azam Shah
(D) Rukumuddin Barbak Shah
76. Which General of Aurangzeb conquered Ahom kingdom in the East India ?
(A) Jai Singh (B) Josowant Singh (C) Sayesta Khan (D) Mir Zumla
77. Vidyasagar has been described as “Traditional Moderniser” by historian
(A) Ramesh Chandra Majumder (B) Binoy Ghosh (C) Amalesh Tripathy (D) Jadunath Sarkar
78. Who founded ‘Swadeshi Bhandar’ in 1897 ?
(A) Sarala Devi (B) Rabindranath Tagore (C) Mahatma Gandhi (D) Bipin Chandra Pal
79. ‘Gadar’ party’ was founded in 1913 at
(A) Bombay (B) Punjab (C) Calcutta (D) Sun Francisco
80. Who led the peasant movement in Oudh during the Non-cooperation Movement ?
(A) Mahatma Gandhi (B) Baba Ramchandra (C) Madari pasi (D) Sardar Ballav Bhai Patel
81. Who was the last Governor-General in India ?
(A) Lord William Bentinck
(B) Lord Canning
(C) Lord Mountbatten
(D) Chakraborty Raja Gopalachari
82. Which of the following towns was chosen as the head quarter of the Wahabi Movement in 1826 ?
(A) Kandahar (B) Quetta (C) Peshawar (D) Charsadda
83. A leading British parliamentarian and politician who admitted that the Revolt of 1857 was ‘a national revolt’ and not a military mutiny was :
(A) David George (B) William Hilderband (C) Disraeli (D) George Bingsley
84. The chief advisor and confident of Syed Ahmad Khan was :
(A) W.W. Hunter (B) Theodore Beck (C) Theodore Morison (D) Nassan Lees
85. What was the primary aim of the Akali movement which rose in the Punjab in 1920s ?
(A) To voice the political grievances of the Sikhs
(B) To bring about modernization in the Sikh social customs
(C) To streamline the management of the gurudwaras or Sikh Shrines
(D) To purge Sikhism of its superstitious accretions and irrational incrustations.
86. Which of the following was not included in the Nehru Committee Report of 1929 ?
(A) India should be given Dominion Status
(B) Declatation of Fundamental Rights was made
(C) Separate Electorate for Muslims was rejected
(D) It proposed a Federal structure for India
87. When was the All-India Kisan Sabha formed ?
(A) 1991 (B) 1920 (C) 1928 (D) 1936
88. The first free university in India, completely independent of the Government and receiving no grant from it, was :
(A) Vishva Bharati, Shantiniketan
(B) Aligarh Muslim University
(C) Women’s University, Pune
(D) Benaras Hindu University
89. Who did the Tribune of Lahore refer to in its- observation ” If ever a man died a hero and martyr to a noble cause, that man was” ?
(A) Bhagat Singh (B) Jatindra Nath Das (C) Chandra Sekhar Azad (D) Surya Sen
90. The Justice Party movement in Madras merged with the :
(A) Self respect League (B) Dravida Kazhagam
(C) Both (A) and (B) above (D) Depressed Classes League
91. Arrange the following events in chronological order and make the correct choice from the options given below :-
(A) Death of Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(B) Nagpur session of the Congress
(C) The Moplah Uprising
(D) The inauguration of Visva Bharati at Santiniketan
(A) 4, 3, 2, 1 (B) 3, 4, 2, 1 (C) 2, 1, 3, 4 (D) 3, 2, 4, 1
92. Both the transfer of power and partition of India were hurried through in how many days :
(A) 94 (B) 86 (C) 72 (D) 68
93. Whom did B.G Tilak call ‘the Diamond of India’ ?
(A) Rabindranath Tagore (B) Dadabhai Naoraji (C) Gopal Krishna Gokhale (D) Lala Lajpat Rai
94. The first tribal leader who was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi and his ideology was :
(A) Jadonang (B) Rani Gaidinliu (C) Alluri Sitaram Raju (D) Thakkar Bapa
95. The editor of the paper, the Hindu was :
(A) S. Subramania (B) Kasturi Ranga Iyengar (C) S. Satyamurti (D) T. K. Madhavan
96. Mahatma Gandhi gave the title of Sardar to Vallabhbhai Patel for his great organizational skill in :
(A) The Kheda Satyagraha
(B) The Bardoli Satyagraha
(C) The Salt Satyagraha
(D) The Individual Satyagraha
97. The first Muslim President of the Indian National Congress was
(A) Ajmal Khan (B) M. A. Jinaah (C) Abul Kalam Azad (D) Rahimulla Sayani
98. Which is the correct pair ?
(A) Malavya and Jayakar
(B) Vithalbhai and Malavya
(C) Motilal Nehru and Malavya
(D) C. R. Das and Motilal Nehru
99. Which of the following sections remained at a distance during Swadeshi Movement of 1905 ?
(A) Women (B) Peasantry (C) Students (D) Intelligentsia
100. Who said on Gandhiji’s death “The tiger has gone out of our lives” ?
(A) J. L. Nehru (B) Rajendra Prasad (C) S. Radha Krishnan (D) Bidhan Chandra Roy