WBCS Main Examination Compulsory Question Paper III-2017 [General Studies-I]
(A) D. N. Jha (B) RomilaThapar (C) R. S. Sharma (D) A. L. Basham
2. Who composed the Aihole Inscription ?
(A) Ravikirti (B) Harisen (C) Bilhan (D) None of the above
3. King "Chandra" of Mehrauli Iron Pillar inscription has been identified with
(A) Chandragupta Maurya (B) Chandragupa I (Gupta) (C) Chandrasen (D) Chandragupta II (Gupta)
4. The ruins of Harappa were first noticed by
(A) M. S. Vats (B) M. Wheeler (C) B. B. Lal (D) Charles Mason
5. Both Lord Buddha and Mahavira died in the reign of
(A) Bimbisara (B) Ajatasatru (C) Udayin (D) Dasratha
6. Who was the founder of the 'Ajivika' sect ?
(A) Purana Kassap (B) Pakudha Kaccayana (C) Makkaii Gosala (D) Ajit Kesakambalin
7. Which of the following is not a representative of the Buddhist art ?
(A) Stupa (B) Gopuram (C) Vihara (D) Chaitya
8. Which of the following periods was considered by Gordon Childe as a period of "revolution" ?
(A) Palaeolithic (B) Mesolithic (C) Neolithic (D) Harappan
9. Among the Bronze Age Civilizations which one was undoubtedly the largest in extent ?
(A) Egyptian (B) Mesopotamian (C) Harappan (D) Mehargarh
10. The urban centres of the Harappan Civilisation faded out around -
(A) 2200 BC (B) 2100-2000 BC (C) 2000-1900BC (D) 1800-1750BC
11. The most prominent deity in the Rigveda was
(A) Agni (B) Indra (C) Vishnu (D) Shiva
12. Which of the following areas were viewed as impure by the later Vedic authors ?
(A) Anga (B) Magadha (C) Vanga (D) All of the above
13. The most celebrated river in the Rigveda was
(A) Ganga (B) Saraswati (C) Sindhu (Indus) (D) Yamuna
(A) North India (B) Godavari valley (Q Malwa plateau (D) North-West frontier of the subcontinent
15. Which one of the following events of Buddha's life did not take place on a full moon day (Purnima) ?
(A) Birth (B) Death (C) Enlightenment (D) Renunciation
16. Which of the following pairs is not matched correctly ?
(A) Sandhyakarnandi - Ramacharita
(B) Jaysimha - Kumarapalacharita
(C) Gaudavaho - Vakpati
(D) Bilhana - Prithvirajacharita
17. In the long history of domestication of animals, according to Wenke which was he earliest animal to be domesticated ?
(A) Goat (B) Pig (C) Horse (D) Dog
18. Microliths are typical of
(A) Paleolithic Age (B) Mesolithic Age (C) Neolithic Age (D) Chalcolithic Age
19. The earliest evidence of settled agriculture in the subcontinent comes from
(A) Mehargarh (B) Amri (C) Kalibangan (D) Dholavira
20. In which State of India Ataranjikheda is situated ?
(A) Bihar (B) Madhya Pradesh (C) U.P. (D) Gujarat
21. The first Indian rulers to issue gold coins on the Roman pattern were
(A) Sungas (B) Kushanas (C) Indo-Greeks (D) Vakatakas
22. Which of the following 7th century Chinese travellers lived for ten years in the great monastery of Nalanda ?
(A) FaHien (B) Hiuen Tsang (C) Yijing (D) Arrian
23. Which of the following is considered to be the earliest Indian text on music ?
(A) Krishna Yajurveda (B) Atharva Veda (C) SamaVeda (D) Purusha Shukta
24. The earliest known stone tools in the Indian subcontinent have been discovered from-
(A) Potwar plateau in Pakistan
(B) Hungsi Valley (Karnataka)
(C) Didwana (Rajasthan)
(D) Bhimbetka (M.P.)
25. The oldest deciphered script of the Indian subcontinent.
(A) Brahmi (B) Harappan (C) Prakrit (D) Devanagari
26. In the Buddhist context, which one refers to texts that are supposed to contain what the Buddha himself said ?
(A) Sutta (B) Vinaya (C) Abhidhamma (D) Milindapanha
27. There are Four Vedas and each Veda has ---- parts.
(A) two (B) three (C) four (D) six
28. Rummindei pillar of Ashoka is put up to mark Buddha's
(A) Birth (B) Enlightenment (C) First Sermon (D) Death
29. D. D. Kosambi (1907-66) is a pioneer of
(A) Nationalist historiography
(B) Marxist historiography
(C) Subaltern historiography
(D) Imperialist historiography
30. Name the author of 'Panchatantra' and 'Svapna-Vasavadatta'.
(A) Kalidasa (B) Bhasa (C) Ashvaghosha (D) Kalhan
31. Who was popularly known as Nana Saheb ?
(A) Baji Rao I (B) Balaji Baji Rao (C) Balaji Biswanath (D) Sawai Madhav Rao
32. Which Mughal building is said to possess the unique feature of being exactly equal in length and breadth ?
(A) Red fort (B) Agra fort (C) Taj Mahal (D) Buland Darwaja
33. How many Mughal provinces were there under Akbar and Aurangzeb respectively ?
. (A) 15 and 21 (B) 17 and 19 (C) 14 and 20 (D) 16 and 19
34. Which Mughal ruler conferred the title of 'Raja' on Ram Mohan Roy and requested him to go to England to plead for a hike in the Emperor's pension ?
(A) Saha Alam ll (B) Akbar II (C) Bahadur Shah II (D) None of the above
35. By which Act did education officially come under Indian control for the first time ?
(A) Indian Council Act of 1892
(B) Indian Council Act of 1909
(C) Govt. of India Act of 1919
(D) Govt. of India Act of 1935
36. An elite body formed by the slave officers of which Delhi Sultan is popularly known in history as "Crop of Forty" (Chahalgani / Chihalgani) ?
(A) Qutbuddin Aibak (B) Iltutmish (C) Raziya (D) Balban
37. Which Mughal emperor for the first time divided the empire into provinces ?
(A) Babur (B) Humayun (C) Jahangir (D) Akbar
38. The royal ritual of 'Jharokha Darshan' was introduced by the Mughal emperor
(A) Akbar (B) Shajahan (C) Aurangzeb (D) Bahadur Shah
39. The 'Jagir' of the Mughals is equal to which of the following units of Sultanate period ?
(A) Waqf (B) Khalisa (C) Inam (D) Iqta
40. The type of painting which made remarkable progress during the reign of Jahangir was
(A) Fresco painting (B) Battle scenes (C) Portrait painting (D) Miniature painting
41. Who was known as 'Lakh Buksh' ?
(A) Qutbuddin Aibak (B) Iltutmish (C) Balban (D) Raziya
42. Muhammad bin Tughlaq lived in a camp called 'Svargadvari' for 2½ years on the bank of which river was this camp located ?
(A) Sutlej (B) Indus (C) Yamuna (D) Ganges
43. During the reign of which Delhi sultan was 'Jizya' collected even from Brahmins
(A) Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq (B) Balban (C) Muhammad-bin Tughlaq (D) Firuz Tughlaq
44. Policemen of Vijaynagar were paid out of taxes collected from
(A) Wine shops (B) Land revenue (C) Taxes on goods (D) Prostitutes
45. The Battle of Panipat (1761) resulted in the defeat of
(A) The Marathas (B) Ahmad Shah Abdali (C) The East India Company (D) Nadir Shah
46. Which style of architecture was developed by the Chalukyas of Badami ?
(A) Vesara (B) Dravida (C) Nagara (D) Gopuram
47. Who among the following gave official sanction to the education of girls in India ?
(A) William Bentinck (B) Hardinge I (C) Lord Dalhousie (D) Lord Canning
48. The 'Drain Theory' was first propounded by
(A) Womesh Chandra Banerjee (B) G. V. Joshi (C) Dadabhai Naoroji (D) Romesh Chandra Dutt
49. Jayadev's "Gita Govinda" deals with the cult of
(A) Rama (B) Shiva (C) Krishna (D) Shakti
50. From which of the following countries did Tipu Sultan seek help to expel the British from India ?
(A) France (B) Turkey (C) Arabia and Afghanistan (D) All of the above
51. Which dynasty described itself as the 'Brahma-Kshatriya' ?
(A) Senas (B) Palas (C) Rashtrakutas (D) Pratiharas
52. The dynasty which Harshavardhan belonged to was
(A) Varmans (B) Maukharis (C) Pushyamitras (D) Pushyabhutis
53. The Iqtadaras during the Sultanate period were also known as
(A) maliks (B) muqtis (C) mamlatdars (D) munhias
54. By whom was the kulinism (system of nobility among Brahmins and kayasthas) in Bengal started ?
(A) Gopal (B) Dharmapal (C) Vijayasena (D) Ballalasena
55. The first Muslim President of the Indian National Congress was
(A) Hakim Azmal Khan (B) Abul Kalam Azad (C) Rafi Ahmad Kidwai (D) BadruddinToyabji
56. Which phase is considered to be the liberal phase in the history of Indian National Congress ?
(A) 1880-1885 (B) 1885-1905 (C) 1905-1915 (D) 1905-1925
57. The 96 years old man who was captured and behaded at Talikota (Bannihatti) in 1565 was
(A) Rama Raya (B) Krishna Deva Raya (C) Bukkal (D) Saluva Narsimha
58. The term 'Malaimandalam' refers to
(A) Coromandal coast (B) Malabar coast (C) Pandya coast (D) Konkan coast
59. Which of the following was not a storm-centres of the Revolt of 1857 ?
(A) Madras (B) Arrah (C) Jhansi (D) Bareilly
60. Which Bahamani ruler shifted the capital from Gulbarga to Bidar ?
(A) Ala-ud-din ll (B) Ahmad Shah Wali (C) Muhammad Shah I (D) Muhammad III
61. Who among the following was greatly influenced by Islam ?
(A) Namadeva (B) Chaitanya (C) Ramananda (D) Ramanuja
62. Which Mughal is credited with prohibiting 'Sati' unless the widow herself, on her own free will, persistently desired it ?
(A) Babur (B) Humayun (C) Akbar (D) Aurangzeb
63. During the reign of which Mughal was tobacco introduced in India ?
(A) Aurangzeb (B) Jahangir (C) Akbar (D) Shahjahan
64. According to a legend, whom did Sikandar Lodi, the Sultan of Delhi, try to kill by various means ?
(A) Nanak (B) Mirabai (C) Kabir (C) Chaitanya
(A) Kumargupta I in 324 CE
(B) Srigupta in 309-10 CE .
(C) Chandragupta l in 319-320 CE
(D) Samudragupta in 324 CE
66. Who among the following was the first to describe Sudras as a class of agriculturists ?
(A) Manu (B) Fa Hien (C) Hiuen Tsang (D) Narad
67. Which of the following Gupta rulers is said to have embraced Buddhism towards the end of his life and also founded the Nalanda University ?
(A) Skandagupta (B) Buddhagupta (C) Purugupta (D) Kumaragupta l
68. Which Governor General created the Covenanted Civil Service of India, which came to be known as Indian Civil Service from 1861 onwards ?
(A) William Bentinck (B) Lord Wellesley (C) Lord Cornwallis (D) Warren Hastings
69. The Delhi Sultan who styled himself "The Second Alexander" (Sikandar-i-Sani) was
(A) Balban (B) Alauddin Khilji (C) Sikandar Lodi (D) Sikandar Khan
70. Which Chalukya ruler is credited with repelling the Arab invasion of South Gujarat ?
(A) Vikramaditya I (B) Pulakesin I (C) Pulakesin ll (D) Vikramaditya II
71. In 1934, Mahatma Gandhi withdrew himself from all political activities and made a country-wide tour covering a distance of 12504 miles. This tour is known as
(A) Jan Jagaran Yatra (B) Harijan Yatra (C) Samaj Samta Yatra (D) Swaraj Yatra
72. The British Prime Minister Attlee made the historic announcement of the end of the British rule of India on
(A) February 20,1947 (B) August 16,1946 (C) March 07,1947 (D) December 09,1946
73. On August 11,1947, who told the Constituent Assembly of Pakistan — "You may belong to any religion or caste or creed — that has nothing to do with the business of state" ?
(A) The Nawab of Junagadh
(B) The Nizam of Hyderabad
(C) Mohammad Ali Jinnah
(D) Liyaqat Ali Khan
74. Out of eleven, in how many provinces Congress Ministries were formed in July, 1937 ?
(A) 05 (B) 06 (C) 07 (D) 08
75. The society of 'Khudai Khidmatgars' organized by the Pathans under the leadership of Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan is popularly known as
(A) Blue Shirts (B) Green Shirts (C) Red Shirts (D) Pathan Shirts
76. Who wrote to the Governor from prison: "The individual must die so that the nation may live. Today I must die so that Indian may win Freedom and glory." ?
(A) Jatin Das (B) Bhagat Singh (C) Subhas Bose (D) Ram Prasad 'Bismil'
77. Lord Mountbatten's Declaration on the Freedom of India and its partition is known as
(A) The June 3rd Plan (B) The June 2nd Plan (C) The August Plan (D) The Partition Plan
78. In 1903, which leader ridiculed the idea of Swaraj by saying— "Only mad men outside lunatic asylums could think or talk of independence" ?
(A) Gopal Krishna Gokhale (B) Pheroz Shah Mehta (C) A. O. Hume (D) Mrs, Annie Besant
(A) Motilal Nehru (B) Subhas Chandra Bose (C) Jawahar Lal Nehru (D) Bipin Chandra Pal
80. Which Mughal ruler became the unifying symbol of the Revolt of 1857 ?
(A) Bahadur Shah I (B) Bahadur Saha Jafar (C) Saha Alam I (D) None of the above
81. The founder president of the Gadar Party in USA
(A) Lala Hardayal (B) Bhai Parmanand (C) Sohan Sing Bakhna (D) Ramchandra Bharadwaj
82. Under whose overall leadership was the 'Quit India Movement' carried on ?
(A) Mahatma Gandhi (B) Jawaharlal Nehru (C) Sardar Patel (D) None of the above
83. Which of the following statements about RIN mutiny is not correct ?
(A) Socialists like Aruna Asaf Ali sympathised with the rebels.
(B) Gandhiji condemned the violence.
(C) Sardar Patel persuaded the ratings to surrender all.
(D) The mutiny started in Calcutta.
84. Of the four events mentioned below, which was the last to take place ?
(A) The Cripps Mission (B) Simla Conference (C) Cabinet Mission Plan (D) The Ratings Mutiny
85. The worst communal carnage as a result of the Muslim League's call for 'Direct Action Day' took place
(A) Calcutta (B) Bombay (C) Dacca (D) Lahore
86. "The Indian Struggle" is the autobiography of
(A) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (B) Chittaranjan Das (C) Jawahar lal Nehru (D) Subhas Chandra Bose
87. Which of the following parties / organizations did not support the Quit India Movement of 1942 ?
(A) The Hindu Mahasabha (B) The Communist Party of India (C) The R.S.S (D) All of the above
88. The Congress-Khilafat Swarajya Party with C.R. Das as its President was formed in
(A) 1922 (B) 1925 (C) 1926 (D) 1927
89. Leaders of which organizations raised objections on the Nehru Report at the All Party Convention held at Calcutta in
December, 1928 ?
(A) Muslim League (B) Hindu Mahasabha (C) Sikh League (D) All of the above
90. The inaugural session of the All-India Trade Union Congress in 1920, was presided over by
(A) Lala Lajpat Rai (B) Motilal Nehru (C) Mrs. Annie Besant (D) Acharya Narendra Dev
91. Mohammad Ali Jinnah left India for Karachi (Pakistan) on
(A) March 07,1947 (B) July 07,1947 (C) August 07,1947 (D) August 11, 1947
92. Which movement was suspended by Gandhiji after the Chauri Chaura incident ?
(A) Bardoli Satyagraha
(B) Champaran Satyagraha
(C) Non-cooperation movement
(D) Salt Satyagraha
(A) February, 1946 (B) February, 1945 (C) August, 1946 (D) August, 1947
94. Which resolution of the Muslim league did formally proclaim the Indian Muslims as a nation ?
(A) Lahore Resolution (1929)
(B) Karachi Resolution (1930)
(C) Lahore Resolution (1940)
(D) Direct Action Day Resolution
95. To which of these struggles did Gandhiji associate himself during 1916-1918 ?
(A) Champaran struggle (B) Kheda struggle (C) Rowlatt satyagrah (D) Both (A) and (B)
96. Which of the following funds was started to finance the Non-cooperation Movement ?
(A) Tilak Swaraj fund
(B) Non-cooperation fund
(C) Non-cooperation-Khilafat fund
(D) None of the above
97. The historic Dandi March of Gandhi began on
(A) January 31,1930 (B) January 26,1930 (C) March 12,1930 (D) April 06,1930
98. After the creation of two new provinces of Sind and Orissa through the Govt, of India Act, 1935, the total no. of provinces in British India became
(A) 10 (B) 11 (C) 12 (D) 13
99. The 'Safety Valve' theory is related to the foundation of which organization ?
(A) The Indian Association
(B) The Indian National Conference
(C) The British Indian Association
(D) The Indian National Congress
100. Jamia Millia Islamia of Aligarh, the Bihar Vidyapith, the Kashi Vidyapith and Gujarat Vidyapith came into existence during the period of
(A) Swadeshi and Boycott Movement, 1905-1908
(B) Non-cooperation Movement, 1921-1922
(C) Civil Disobedience Movement, 1930-1934
(D) Quit India Movement, 1942-1943101. The state of Maharashtra has mainly
(A) Red soil (B) Lateritic soil (C) Alkaline soil (D) Black soil
102. Tropical wet evergreen forests are found in
(A) the Andaman-Nicobar islands
(B) the Assam valley
(C) the Chotanagpur plateau
(D) the Lesser Himalayan region
103. Which one of the following is not a wood from the Himalayan forests ?
(A) Deodar (B) Chir (C) Teak (D) Cypress
104. The headquarters of the Forest Survey of India is located in
(A) Dehradun (B) New Delhi (C) Bhopal (D) Coimbatore
105. MacMohan Line is a boundary between
(A) India and China (B) India and Bangladesh (C) China and Nepal (D) India and Afghanistan
106. Locationally India roughly occupies the central part of
(A) the western hemisphere
(B) the eastern hemisphere
(C) the northern hemisphere
(D) the southern hemisphere
107. The shape of India is approximately a
(A) square (B) triangular (C) quadrangular (D) circular
108. The Eight Degree Channel forms the boundary between
(A) Lakshadweep and Maldive islands
(B) Andaman and Nicobar islands
(C) India and Srilanka
(D) The Arabin Sea and the Indian Ocean
109. The Tropic of Cancer does not pass through which of the following state ?
(A) Madhya Pradesh (B) Chattishgarh (C) Bihar (D) Jharkhand
110. 'Kiratas' was an old kingdom of the
(A) Northern India (B) Southern India (C) Western India (D) Eastern India
111. The largest river system of the Peninsular India is
(A) the Krishna (B) the Godavari (C) the Mahanadi (D) the Narmada
112. Which one of the following in the correct sequence of the tributary rivers of the Indus from north to south direction ?
(A) Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Satluj
(B) Chenab, Jhelum, Satluj, Ravi
(C) Ravi, Satluj, Chenab, Jhelum
(D) Satluj, Ravi, Jhelum, Chenab
113. Which one of the following rivers has the highest run off ?
(A) The Ganga (B) The Brahmaputra (C) The Indus (D) The Narmada
114. What would be the Sky if there would have no atmosphere ?
(A) blue (B) transparent (C) white (D) black
115. Which one of the following Biosphere Reserves in India is not correctly matched ?
(A) Nandadevi — Uttarakhand
(B) Namdhapa — A ssam
(C) Gulf of Mannar — Tamil Nadu
(D) Nokrek — Meghalaya
116. In terms of relief the maximum area of India is covered under
(A) mountains (B) hills (C) plateaus (D) plains
117. The foot hill areas of the Himalayas are called
(A) Basic Himalayas (B) Southern Himalayas (C) Siwalik (D) Doon
118. Which one of the following is a volcanic island in India ?
(A) Amindivi (B) Dadra (C) Narcondam (D) Minicoy
119. The Mt. Everest is located in
(A) the Sub-Himalayan region
(B) the Lesser Himalayan region
(C) the Greater Himalayan region
(D) the Trans-Himalayan region
120. Gully erosion on soil surface is more prominent in India in
(A) the Chambal area (B) Bikaner-Jodhpur area (C) the Odisha plain area (D) the Darjeeling hill area
121. 'Khadar' is a younger alluvium usually found in the state of
(A) Bihar (B) Uttar Pradesh (C) Rajasthan (D) Assam
122. Which one of the following is correctly matched in terms of hot springs in India ?
(A) Manikarana - Himachal Pradesh
(B) Puga Valley - Jharkhand
(C) Surajkund - Jammu and Kashmir
(D) Sahasradhara - Madhya Pradesh
123. 'Pat Lands' are found in
(A) the Malwa Plateau (B) Bundelkhand Uplands (C) Chotanagpur Plateau (D) Maharashtra Plateau
124. 'Jelep La' is a mountain pass located in
(A) Bhutan (B) Nepal (C) Arunachal Pradesh (D) Sikkim
125. Which one of the following rivers had shifted its course frequently ?
(A) The Brahmaputra (B) The Ganga (C) The Teesta (D) The Koshi
126. Most of the highest peaks of the Himalayas are located in
(A) the Trans Himalayas (B) the Central Himalayas (C) the Middle Himalayas (D) the Outer Himalayas
127. The Luni river has its origin from
(A) The Satpura hills (B) The Indus river (C) The Aravalli hills (D) The Himalayan region
128. Which one of the following is a right bank tributary of the river Ganga ?
(A) The Jamuna (B) The Gandak (C) The Kali (D) The Tista
129. The Eastern Ghats and The Western Ghats meet at the
(A) Nilgiris (B) Vindhyas (C) Satpuras (D) Palni hills
130. Which one of the following river is not connected with the proposed Ganga-Cauvery link canal ?
(A) Sone (B) Mahanadi (C) Narmada (D) Pennar
131. The normal date of onset of the South-West monsoon in South Bengal is
(A) 1 - 5 June (B) 5 - 10 June (C) 10 - 15 June (D) 15 - 20 June
132. Which one of the following states has the maximum forest cover compared to its total area ?
(A) Jharkhand (B) Chattishgarh (C) Sikkim (D) Arunachal Pradesh
133. The maximum variability of annual rain fall in India occurs in
(A) the Meghalaya plateau region
(B) the Ganga plain region
(C) the Thar desert region
(D) the Peninsular region
134. Which one of the following is correctly matched in terms of average annual rain fall (in mm) ?
(A) Kolkata -1200 (B) Delhi -800 (C) Bikaner -100 (D) Srinagar -400
135. The earliest rock formation in India can be found in
(A) the Deccan plateau region
(B) the Himalayan region
(C) the Ganga-Brahmapurra plain region
(D) the Deltaic region
136. The 'Deccan Trap' can not be found in the state of
(A) Gujarat (B) Maharashtra (C) Karnataka (D) Tamil Nadu
137. 'Charnockite' found in India is
(A) an igneous rock (B) a sedimentary rock (C) a metamorphic rock (D) an alluvial deposit
138. Which pair of the following are twin-cities in India ?
(A) Mumbai-Pune (B) Hyderabad-Secunderabad (C) Howrah-Kolkata (D) Bengaluru-Mysuru
139. Which one of the following was not situated in the Ganga plain ?
(A) Kosala Kingdom (B) Asmaka Kingdom (C) Vatsya Kingdom (D) Magadha Kingdom
140. According to ISI Seismic Risk Zones the South Bengal Plains lie within
(A) Zone I (B) Zone II (C) Zone III (D) Zone IV
141. Which one of the following states does not have much mineral resources ?
(A) Rajasthan (B) Bihar (C) Assam (D) Madhya Pradesh
142. Aeroplane manufacturing in India is done in
(A) Kanpur (B) Bhopal (C) Nasik (D) Bengaluru
143. Loktak is the only major power project located in the State of
(A) Nagaland (B) Manipur (C) Mizorum (D) Tripura
144. The city called the 'Manchester of South India' is
(A) Sholapur (B) Coimbatore (C) Chennai (D) Madurai
145. Nepa newsprint factory is located in
(A) Maharastra (B) Tamil Nadu (C) Himachal Pradesh (D) Madhya Pradesh
146. The longest road bridge in India is on the river
(A) Son (B) Godavari (C) Ganga (D) Brahmaputra
147. Bhilai Steel Plant was established in collaboration with
(A) Germany (B) The UK (C) The erstwhile USSR (D) The USA
148. 'Sagarmatha' in the Himalayas is also known as
(A) Dhaulagiri (B) Kanchenjunga (C) NangaParvat (D) Mt. Everest
149. A cold desert of India is
(A) Shillong Plateau (B) Thar (C) Tibbet (D) Laddakh
150. Low rainfall is experienced in Tamil Nadu during the South West / Summer monsoon because
(A) Tamil Nadu is situated in a rain shadow area
(B) wind blows from land to sea
(C) temperature is abnormally high
(D) low moisture in the air
151. Mangrove vegetation in India is the most extensive in
(A) The Rann of kutch
(B) The Malabar Coast
(C) The Andaman and Nicober Islands
(D) The Sundarban
152. The most important human factor responsible for soil erosion in India is
(C) over utilization of land and soil
(D) over utilization of groundwater
153. Tank irrigation is more prevalent in
(A) the Peninsular India
(B) the Brahmaputra valley
(C) the Thar desert region
(D) the lower Ganga plains
154. Tobacco cultivated in India is mostly used to make
(A) Cigarette (B) Beedi (C) Zarda (D) Snuff powder
155. Which state in India leads in fish consumption ?
(A) Odisha (B) Assam (C) Kerala (D) West Bengal
156. The most important rice producing district of Andhra Pradesh is
(A) Guntur (B) Vellore (C) East Godavari (D) West Godavari
157. The Northern plains of India get rain fall in winter from
(A) the thunder storms
(B) the easterly depressions
(C) the western disturbances
(D) the retreating monsoon
158. The three indegenous silkworms in India are
(A) Tassar, Gir, Mullet (B) Eel, Muga, Carp (C) Tassar, Eri, Muga (D) Muga, Eel, Gir
159. An Important pearl fishing centre in India is
(A) Kandla (B) Tuticorin (C) Cochin (D) Nhava Sheva
160. The most important oil bearing state in India is
(A) Gujarat (B) Maharashtra (C) Assam (D) Andhra Pradesh
(A) Mandi (B) Darjeeling (C) Sivasamudram (D) Pykara
162. Which one of the following crops requires penning for better yields ?
(A) Tea (B) Coffee (C) Rubber (D) Mango
163. Huge concentration of heavy engineering is found in
(A) Mumbai-Pune area
(B) Lucknow-Kanpur area
(C) Asansol-Jamshedpur area
(D) Asansol-Kolkata area
164. The famous Gersoppa Falls is located on the river
(A) Godavari (B) Sharavati (C) Narmada (D) Cauvery
165. 'Syntaxial bend' is associated with
(A) the origin of the Himalayas
(B) deep gorges of the Indus and the Brahmaputra
(C) formation of the Tapi valley
(D) Rajmahal Gap
166. The traditionally most important cotton growing region in India is
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Indo-Ganga plain (C) Deccan Trap (D) Chotanagpur plateau
167. Which region is called 'The granary of South India' ?.
(A) Coimbatore (B) Tiruchirapalli (C) Thanjavur (D) Thiruvananthapuram
168. Tertiary coalbeds are found in
(A) Assam and Rajasthan
(B) Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
(C) Maharashtra and Odisha
(D) West Bengal and Bihar
169. Lonar is a
(A) salt lake (B) lagoon lake (C) rift valley lake (D) crater lake
170. The highest rate of yield of sugarcane is found in the state of
(A) Bihar (B) Uttar Pradesh (C) Maharashtra (D) Tamil Nadu
171. Which one of the following statement is not true in case of the East Kolkata Wetlands (E K W) ?
(A) It has an area of about 800 ha
(B) It is a Ramsar site
(C) It is popular for its waste recycling properties
(D) It is covered by a large number of water bodies only
172. Which one of the following towns of West Bengal has been selected for 'smart city' development ?
(A) Kalyani (B) Siliguri (C) Haldia (D) Bidhannagar
173. The most vulnerable tribal community in West Bengal is
(A) Santhal (B) Munda (C) Birhore (D) Toto
174. The district having the highest percentage of ST population (in 2011) in West Bengal is
(A) Darjeeling (B) Alipurduar (C) Purulia (D) Dakshin Dinajpur
175. Which one of the following is not an island of the Sundarban region ?
(A) Gosaba (B) Pathar pratima (C) Jammudwip (D) Sabujdwip
176. The number of class I towns in West Bengal is
(A) 68 (B) 58 (C) 48 (D) 38
177. Coal mines in West Bengal are mainly of
(A) Anthracite type (B) Bituminus type (C) Lignite type (D) Peat type
178. The first census in India was held in the year of
(A) 1881 (B) 1872 (C) 1892 (D) 1891
179. Kadars are the dwellers of
(A) Palni hills (B) Nilgiri hills (C) Anaimalai hills (D) Travancore hills
180. Which one of the following Indian languages is included in Indo-Aryan group ?
(A) Tamil (B) Ladakhi (C) Oriya / Odiya (D) Lushai
181. West Bengal has the highest number of livestock in the form of
(A) Buffalo (B) Shero (C) Goat (D) Cattle
182. Share (in %) of the net sown area is the maximum in the district of
(A) Purba Medinipur (B) Malda (C) Bardhaman (D) Uttar Dinajpur
183. The maximum migration (migrants by place of birth) in West Bengal (as in 2001) had occurred as
(A) Inter-district (B) Intra-district (C) Inter-state (D) International
184. Bibhutibhusan Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the district of
(A) Bardhaman (B) South 24 Parganas (C) North 24 Parganas (D) Nadia
185. Clouded Leopard in West Bengal can be spotted in wild in
(A) Neora Vally (B) Buxa (C) Sundarban (D) The forests of Purulia
186. Consider the following statements and choose the correct answer:
Assertion (A) : Aman paddy is cultivated during the monsoon season.
Reason (R) : Aman requires planty of water.
(A) Both A and R are correct, and R explains A
(B) A is correct but R is wrong
(C) Both A and R are incorrect
(D) Both A and R are correct, and R does not explain A
187. Bulk of the Indian population is constituted by the racial group of
(A) The Proto Australoids (B) The Mediterraneous (C) The Mongoloids (D) The Negritos
188. Which district of West Bengal has recorded the least average annual precipitation during 1901-2010 period ?
(A) Purulia (B) Bankura (C) Birbhum (D) Nadia
189. What percentage of area is under forests in West Bengal ?
(A) 13% (B) 20% (C) 31% (D) 33%
190. Which district of the following does not have Fluoride contamination in groundwater ?
(A) Purulia (B) Birbhum (C) Bankura (D) Nadia
191. Swatch-of-No-Ground is located in
(A) the Godavari continental shelf
(B) the Northern part of the Indian Ocean
(C) the Western coast of India
(D) the Northern part of the Bay of Bengal
192. Which one of the following is not a tidal river of West Bengal ?
(A) Hooghly (B) Ichamati (C) Ajay (D) Rupnarayan
193. The district having the lowest population density (as in 2011) in West Bengal is
(A) Darjeeling (B) Bankura (C) Purulia (D) Alipurduar
194. Which one of the following is a free trade zone ?
(A) Mumbai (B) Haldia (C) Kandla (D) Marmagaon
195. The number of villages in India is about
(A) 3 lakh (B) 4 lakh (C) 5 lakh (D) 6 lakh
196. The child sex ratio (per thousand) in India in the year 2011 was
(A) 900 (B) 907 (C) 914 (D) 921
197. What will be the expected average age of an Indian by the year 2020 ?
(A) 24 years (B) 29 years (C) 34 years (D) 39 years
198. Geologically arsenic in groundwater has its original source in
(A) the chotonagpur plateau
(B) the marine sediments of the Bay of Bengal
(C) the Himalayas
(D) the Ganga plain itself
199. As per the census of India (2011) the state having the highest number of urban population is
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Maharashtra (C) Tamil Nadu (D) West Bengal
200. 'Barid' tract is found in the district of
(A) Jalpaiguri (B) Birbhum (C) North 24 Parganas (D) Dakshin Dinajpur