WBCS Examination Main Compulsory — 2016 Paper-Ill
1. Who was the ruler of Taxila when Alexander's army crossed the Indus in 326 BC ?
(A) Porus (Puru) (B) Ambhi (C) Abhisara (D) None of these
2. Who tells us that 'India' (i.e. Indus Valley) was the 20th and most prosperous satrapy (province) of the Persian empire ?
(A) Herodotus (B) Megasthenese (C) Fa Hien (D) Yijing
3. On the basis of evidences emerging from the site of Kodumanal the beginning of urbanization in Tamil Nadu goes back to -
(A) 800 BCE (B) 500-400 BCE (C) 300 BCE-200 CE (D) 200 CE
4. Name of which Indian ruler is inseparably associated with the first known International treaty made in Indian history ?
(A) Mahapadma Nanda (B) Chandragupta Maurya (C) Bindusara (D) Asoka
5. Name the historians who have rejected the idea of a marriage alliance between Chandragupta Maurya and Seleucus -
(A) Vincent Smith (B) H.C. Roychoudhury (C) H P. Shastri (D) B.N.Mukherjee and Romila Thapar
6. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(A) Diodorus Siculus - Bibliotheca Historica
(B) Strabo - Geography
(C) Anrian - lndica
(D) Claudius Aelianus - Naturalis Historica
7. Which of the following major rock edicts of Asoka are in Prakrit language and Kharosthi scrips ?
(A) Manshera (B) Shabbazgarbi (C) Both (A) and (B) (D) Dhauli
8. Haribhadra, the famous Buddhist author was at the court of -
(A) Gopala (B) Mahipala (C) Devapala (D) Dharmapala
9. Which.of the following pairs is not matched correctly ?
(A) Firuz Tughluq - Futuhat-i-Firuz-Shahi
(B) Zia-ud-din Barani - Kitab-ul-Rahala
(C) Zia-ud-din-Barani - Tarikh-i-Firuz Shahi
(D) Minhaj-us-Siraj - Tabaqat-i-Nasiri
10. "The success of Muizzudin Muhammad Ghori in India was the consummation of a process which extended over the whole of 12th Century". By whom this observation has been made ?
(A) A.B.M. Habibullah. (B) Satish Chandra (C) Irfan Habib (D) A.K. Nizami
11. During the reign of which Sultan of Delhi did the Chahalgani or Chalisa come into existence ?
(A) Balban (B) Raziya (C) Iltutmish (D) Ala-ud-din Khilji
12. Three types of the coins of the Delhi Sultanate tanka, shashgani and jital - were made respectively of -
(A) Silver, Silver, Copper (B) Gold, Silver, Copper (C) Silver, Bronze, Copper (D) Gold, Bronze, Copper
13. Nicolo de Conti, an Italian visitor, came to Vjjaynagar during the reign of -
(A) Harihara I (B) Bukka I (C) Devi Raya II (D) Deva Raya I
14. According to Abdur Razzaq, the policeman of Vijayanagar were paid out of taxes collected from
(A) Wine shops (B) Brothels (prostitues) (C) Land revenue (D) Taxes on goods
15. Which revenue system among the following is also known as the 'bandobast' system ?
(A) Zabit (B) Dahsala (C) Nasaq (D) Kankut
16. During the reign of which Mughal was tobacco introduced in India ?
(A) Akbar (B) Aurangzeb (C) Jahangir (D) Shahjahan
17. Which Mughal is credited with prohibiting Sati unless the widow herself, of her own free will, persistently desired it ?
(A) Babur (B) Akbar (C) Humayan (D) Jahangir
18. The only type of Jagir which could not be transferred was the -
(A) Khidmati jagir (B) Watan Jagir (C) Milkiyat Jagir (D) Tan Jagir
19. A new technique of painting, known as Siyahi qalam, became fashionable during the reign of -
(A) Akbar (B) Aurangzeb (C) jahangir (D) Shahjahan
20. Who was the founder of the Chalukyas of Badami ?
(A) Vikramaditya I (B) Pulkesin I (C) Kirtivarman I (D) Vijayaditya
21. Which of the following kingdoms was referred to as 'Ruhmi' by the Arab merchant Sulaiman ?
(A) Rashtrakuta (B) Chola (C) Pala (D) Pratihara
22. Which of the following is / are the well-known ancient geographical epithets of India ?
(A) Saptadvipa (B) Bharatvarsha (C) jambudvipa (D) Both (A) and (B)
23. The earliest use of the term 'Hindustan' appears in which inscription of Sasanid ruler Shahpur I ?
(A) Naqsh-Rustom (B) Persepolis (C) Behistun (D) Hamadan
24. Which period of Indian history has been designated by Romila Thapar as 'Threshold Times' ?
(A) BCE 200 - 300 CE (B) CE 300 - CE 600 (C) CE 300 - CE 800 (D) CE 600 - CE 1300
25. Which civilization was undoubtedly the largest in extent among the Bronze age civilizations ?
(A) The Harappan civilization
(B) Egyptian civilization
(C) Mesopotamian civilization
(D) Roman civilization
26. Which archaeologist has recently contested the identification of impressive brick-built structure at Harappa as a 'Granary' ?
(A) R.E.M. Wheeler (B) Bridget Allchin (C) Raymond Allchin (D) J.M. Kenoyer
27. Who among the following Mughal rulers were half Rajput (born of a Rajput mother) ?
(A) Shah Jahan and Aurangzeb
(B) Akbar and Jahangir
(C) Jahangir and Shahjahan
(D) Jahangir and Humayan
28. Who was the first Englishman to visit Jahangir's court ?
(A) William Edwards (B) Red Dragon (C) Thomas Roe (D) Hawkins
29. Who gave Bombay to Charles II of England as a dowry gift for his marriage with Catherine of Braganza ?
(A) Spanish (B) Pourtuguese (C) Dutch (D) Danes
30. Where did the so called 'Black Hole Tragedy' take place ?
(A) Calcutta (B) Dacca (C) Monghyr (D) Murshidabad
31. When was the 'Double Government' Consisting of the Court of Directors and the Board of Control, treated at the Home Government level ?
(A) 1853 (B) 1833 (C) 1813 (D) 1784
32. Which of the following was not a regional headquarters in the Maurya empire ?
(A) Ujjaiyini (B) Taxila (C) Tosali (D) Tambaparini
33. To whom was the Lomasa Rishi cave in the Barabar hills (near Gaya) donated by Asoka ?
(A) Ajivika monks (B) Jain monks (C) Brahmnas (D) Shri Lankan Buddhist monks
34. The history of ancient Indian trade rightly begins from the —— period.
(A) Harappan (B) Later Vedic (C) Maurya. (D) Kushana
35. At which of the following Ports have a sizable Roman settlement and a Roman factory have been discovered ?
(A) Tamralipti (B) Muziris or Mushri (C) Arikamedu (D) Kaveripattanam
36. Seaborne trade between India and Rome received great inpetus during the reign of Roman Emperor -
(A) Augustus (B) Cladius (C) Trajan (D) Nero
37. Who considered the Harappan crafts "technically the peer of the rest" among products of the Bronze Age ?
(A) Gordon childe (B) Shereen Ratnagar (C) R.S. Bisht (D) Asco Parpola
38. By whom was the most significant commentary on the Rigveda composed in the medieval Period in the Vijayanagar realm ?
(A) Chakrapanidatta (B) Sayana (C) Kannada (D) Sagarnandin
39. Which of the following statements is not correct ?
(A) The Rigveda consists of 1028 hymns (Suktas)
(B) The Rigveda is divided into ten books (mandalas) of unequal sizes.
(C) The Rigveda is a monolithic text.
(D) The Rigveda is,not a monolithic text and consists of several literary layers.
40. Name the chief of the Rigvedic Bharata tribe who fought against a confederacy of ten tribes (in the battle of 10 kings)
(A) Sudas (B) Divodasa (C) Atri (D) Gritsamada
41. Which of the following areas were viewed by the later vedic authors as impure and far away from the heartland of the Vedic culture ?
(A) Anga (Eastern Bihar)
(B) Magadha (Southern Bihar)
(C) Vanga (in the Ganga delta)
(D) All of the above
42. Which Rigvedic river is known as Ravi and also as Iravati ?
(A) Vitasta (B) Asikni (C) Parushni (D) Sutudri
43. The earliest reference to the division of society into four strata occurs in which of the following texts ?
(A) The Purusha-sukta of the Rig Veda Samhita
(B) Yajur Veda Samhita
(D) Manu smriti
44. Which of the following were the most prominent monarchical mahajanapadas during the age of the Buddha ?
(A) Vajjis or Vrijis (B) Kosal and Vatsa (C) Avanti and Magadha (D) All listed in (B) and (C)
45. Which Magadhan ruler launched final military assault on the Gana rajyas of Kasi-Kosal with the help of new weapons like rathamushala and mahasilakantaka ?
(A) Bimbisara (B) Ajatasatru (C) Prasenjit (D) Sisunaga
46. During the post-Maurya times, elaborate vedic sacrificial rituals like the Vajapeya, Rajasuya and Aswamedha were
regularly performed by the rulers of
(A) North India (B) the Deccan (C) Both North India and Deccan (D) Chola dynasty
47. Which school of Art flourished in the region between the lower valleys of Krishna and Godavari during 2nd Century BCE - 3rd Century CE ?
(A) Gandhara School (B) Mathura School (C) Nagarjuna School (D) Amravati School
48. Navanityakam of the Gupta period was a book on
(A) Medicine (B) Metallurgy (C) Mathematics (D) Astronomy
49. Who among the following dynasties were the first to transfer all sources of revenue to the Brahmans ?
(A) Vakatakas (B) Guptas (C) Pallavas (D) Chalukyas
50. Mandsor pillar inscription of the early 6th Century CE belongs to
(A) Anantavarman (B) Mihirkula (C) Yasodharman (D) Toramana
51. The conquered people were to be ruled by their own laws and British rule had to "Legitimize itself in an Indian Idiom". This was the Fundamental principle of
(A) Evangelicalism (B) Orientalism (C) Utilitarianism (D) Mercantilism
52. Which one of the following is back water port in the western coast of India ?
(A) Kandla (B) Marmagaon (C) Mangalore (D) Cochin
53. Which of the following statements is / are true about the Vernacular Press Act. 1878 ?
(i) It was passed by Lord Mayo,
(ii) It came to be known as the "Gagging Act"
(iii) It liberated the Indian Press from restrictions.
(iv) It was repealed in 1882 by the Ripon Govt.
Select the answer from codes given below :
(A) (ii) and (iv) (B) (i) and (ii) (C) (i) and (iii) (D) (iii) and (iv)
54. Ramagiri gold field is situated in the states of
(A) Karnataka (B) Tamil Nadu (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Kerala
55. Which of the following resolutions of the Muslim League finally and formally proclaimed the Muslims of India as a Nation ?
(A) Karachi Resolution
(B) Lahore Resolution of 1940
(C) Deliverance Day Resolution
(D) Rahmat Ali Resolution
56. Who said about the Govt. of India Act. 1935 : "After all we framed the constitution ...... of 1935 because we thought it the best way ........ to hold India to the empire" ?
(A) British Prime Minister Ramsay Macdonald
(B) Winston Churchill
(C) Viceroy Lord Linlithgow
(D) Sir Stafford Cripps
57. Who among the following did not attend the first session of the Indian National Congress ?
(A) Womesh Chandra Banerjee
(B) K.T. Telang
(C) Surendranath Banerjee
(D) Badaruddin Tyabji
58. During the course of which movement did the incident of Chittagong armoury raid take place ?
(A) Non-co-operation movement
(B) Bardoli Satyagraha
(C) Civil Disobedience Movement
(D) Quit India Movement
59. Which of the following organizations / persons did not approve of the Quit India Movement ?
(A) Muslim League (B) Hindu Mahasabha (C) B.R.Ambedkar (D) All of the above
60. Which of the following is not correctly matched ?
(A) Bipan Chandra - Communalism in Modern India
(B) Bipan Chandra - Nationalism and Colonialism in Modern India
(C) Sumit Sarkar - India's struggle for Independence
(D) Sumit Sarkar - Modern India, 1885-1947
61. River Tista is a tributary of which river system ?
(A) Ganga (B) Brahmaputra (C) Yamuna (D) Mahanadi
62. There are a large number of hydro-electric projects in South India, because -
(A) coal region is far away
(B) there are large number of waterfalls
(C) perennial rivers are there
(D) there is facility to collect rain water
63. Which of the following organizations, according to Sumit Sarkar, "left little distinctive or permanent on the plane of religion and philosophy" in 19th Century India ?
(A) Brahmo Samaj (B) Ramakrishna Mission (C) Aligarh Movement (D) Young Bengal
64. Lacchadweep is a
(A) barrier reef island (B) coral island (C) fringing reef island (D) volcanic island
65. Which one of the following channel divides Minicoy from Maldives ?
(A) 9° Channel (B) 10° Channel (C) 8° Channel (D) Grand Channel
66. When and where the song 'Bande Mataram' was first sung (by Rabindra.nath Tagore) ?
(A) At Calcutta Session of the I. N. Congress in 1896
(B) At Calcutta Town Hall on August 07, 1905
(C) At Santiniketan Ashrama in 1901
(D) On July 19, 1905 at Calcutta when partition of Bengal was formally announced
67. After the Surat split in 1907 the second split in the Congress took place in 1918 on the issue of-
(A) Lucknow Pact
(B) Election of Mrs. Annie Besant as President of the INC (1917)
(C) Both (A) and (B)
(D) Montague declaration
68. The First National Planning Committee was constituted by the Congress in 1938 under the Presidency of -
(A) Ambalal Sarabhai (B) Jawahar La! Nehru (C) Subhas Chandra Bose (D) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
69. When did the British pass a law making it an offence to Preach nationalism ?
(A) 1890 (B) 1895 (C) 1889 (D) 1904
70. Which of the following Classes did not participate in the Revolt of 1857 ?
(i) Money lenders
(iii) Modern intelligentsia
(iy) Old Zamindars
(v) Urban based absentee landlords
Choose the answers from codes gjven below :
(A) (i), (ii), (iv) and (v) (B) (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) (C) (i), (iii), (iv) and (v) (D) (i), (ii), (iii), and (v)
71. The three-member Cabinet Mission that visited India between March and June 1946, was headed by-
(A) Sir Stafford Cripps (B) Mr A.V. Alexander (C) Lord Pethick-Lawrrence (D) Clement Attlee
72. Moist Tropical Evergreen forests are found in
(A) the Deccan Plateau (B) the Shillong Plateau (C) Southern States (D) the Siwaliks
73. Which of the following is the dominant type of migration in India ?
(A) Rural to Rural (B) Rural to Urban (C) Urban to Urban (P) Urban to Rural
74. During which period Gandhiji remained aloof from direct politics and concentrated his energies on constructive programmes ?
(A) 1919 -1922 (B) 1922 - 1924 (C) 1924 - 1927 (D) 1928 - 1932
75. Who described the Quit India movement (1942) as "by far the most serious rebellion since 1857" ?
(A) Viceroy Lord Linlithgow (B) Franklin Roosevelt (C) Chiang Kai Shek (D) Winston Churchill
76. Jonathan Duncan founded the Sanskrit College in 1792 at-
(A) Allahabad (B) Varanasi (C) Calcutta (D) Madras
77. When and where was the all India Kisan Sabha formed ?
(A) 1930-Bombay (B) 1936-Lucknow (C) 1938 -Calcutta (D) 1942-Lucknow
78. Who acted as President of the Indian National Congress for Six Consecutive years ?
(A) Jawahar Lal Nenru (B) Abul Kalam Azad (C) Motilal Nehru (D) Gopal Krishna Gokhale
79. Which of the following is the main source of energy in India ?
(A) Fuel wood (B) Nuclear energy (C) Coal (D) Solar
80. Which of the following movements emerged in South India under the leadership of E.V. Ramaswamy Naicker "Periyar" ?
(A) Self-respect Movement (B) Justice Party Movement (C) Mahar Movement (D) Sanskrit Movement
81. Which of the following women's organisation came into existence in 1927 ?
(A) Women's Indian Association
(B) National Council of women in India
(C) Bharat stree Mahamandal
(D) All India Women's Conference
82. Who raised patriotism to the pedestal of mother worship and said : "I know my country as my mother. I adore her. I worship her" ?
(A) Swami Vivekananda (B) Bankim Chandra Chatterjee (C) Aurobindo Ghosh (D) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
83. To justify one of their colonial policies, the British continued with the "Downward Filtration Theory" That colonial policy was on-
(A) Education (B) Industry (C) Maritime trade (D) De-industrialization
84. The Indian Association and National Conference were founded by-
(A) Surendranath Banerjee (B) Anand Mohan Bose (C) Both (A) and (B) (D) Sisir Kumar Ghosh
85. The largest area under waste land is in the state of -
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Madhya Pradesh (C) Gujarat (D) Rajasthan
86. The river which is known as 'Vridha Gangs' is
(A) Krishna (B) Cauveri (C) Godavari (D) Mahanadi
87. Who was the President of the Indian National Congress when Shimla Conference was convened by Lord Wavell in June-July, 1945 ?
(A) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (B) Sardar Patel (C) Jawaharlal Nehru (D) A. K. Fazlul Haq
88. In which year Tebhaga Movement was launched in Bengal ?
(A) 1942 (B) 1946 (C) 1947 (D) 1952
89. Which one of the following rivers makes an estuary ?
(A) Krishna (B) Godavari (C) Cauveri (D) Tapti
90. Luni drains
(A) in Gangetic delta (B) in Godavari delta (C) in Gulf of Kuchch (D) in Gulf of Khambhat
91. The Vaikom Satyagraha was launched in Kerala to
(A) remove untouchability.
(B) ban the Devdasi Institutions for temple service
(C) force the temple authorities to appoint non Brahmins as priests.
(D) open the temples for the entry of the lower castes (avarnas).
92. Pykara project is located in-
(A) Andhra Pradesh (B) Kerala (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Karnataka
93. The channel which separates Rameshwaram dwip from Indian main land-
(A) 9° Channel (B) 10° Channel (C) Palk Strait (D) Pumban Channel
94. Who moved a resolution at the Congress session in 1918 demanding equal eligibility for voting rights for both men and women ?
(A) Sarala Debi Choudhurani (B) Sarojini Naidu (C) Annie Beasant (D) Basanti Devi
95. The historic Lucknow session (1916) of the I.N.C was presided over by-
(A) Ambika Charan Mozumdar (B) R.N. Mudhokar (C) Madan Mohan Malaviya (D) Rasbehari Bose
96. Which of the following movements was started by Swami Sahajanand Saraswati in Bihar ?
(A) Zamidari Movement (B) Socialist Movement (C) Kisan Sabha Movement (D) Labour Movement
97. Alwayee, Koyana and Korba is mainly known for
(A) Thermal power station (B) Refineries (C) Hydel power station (D) Aluminium industry
98. Name the European who worked ardently for the Indian national movement and criticized the British rule by saying : "The British empire is rotten to the core, corrupt in every direction and tyrannical and mean" -
(A) Sister Nivedita (B) A.O. Hume (C) William Wedderburn (D) Mrs. Annie Beasant
99. Which of the following was perhaps the most widespread, most intense and most organized peasant movement in the history of colonial India ?
(A) Tebhaga Movement (B) Telangana Movement (C) Indigo Movement (D) Deccan Riots
100. In which of the following movements prominent women leaders like Sucheta Kripalani and Aruna Asaf Ali took the responsibility of coordinating the movement in the face of unprecedented police repression ?
(A) Civil Disobedience Movement (B) Quit India Movement (C) Both (A) and (B) (D) RIN Mutiny
101. Regur soil is much suitable for one of the following -
(A) Jute (B) Co (C) Cotton (D) Tea
102. Which one of the following is not a tributary of Krishna ?
(A) Tungabhadra (B) Penner (C) Bhima (D) Sina
103. Which of the following statements is / are correct ?
(A) Fort William College was closed in 1802.
(B) In 1805 the East India College was established at Heartford near London.
(C) The East India College was moved to Hailebury in 1809.
(D) All of the above
104. Which movement, though started as a religious reform movement, became a movement for the restoration of Sikh sovereignty by the annexation of Punjab by the British ?
(A) Kittur Rising (B) Bundela Revolt (C) Kuka Movement (D) Satavandi Revolt
105. Which one of the following periods of trade union movement in India witnessed growing influence of communist ideology on trade unionism for the first time ?
(A) 1918-1924 (B) 1924-1934 (C) 1934-1939 (D) 1939-1945
106. Who observed : "The Congress (INC) is in reality a civil war without arms" ?
(A) Lord Dufferin (B) Sir Syed Ahmed Khan (C) M. Ali Jinnah (D) Lord Curzon
107. Who was mainly responsible for introducing the Ryotwari system in Madras ?
(A) Macartney (B) Elphinstone (C) Thomas Munro (D) John Lawrence
108. In which year the Indian capitalist class organized itself under the banner of FICCI ?
(A) 1922 (B) 1927 (C) 1930 (D) 1932
109. Which of the following coast has greatest number of lagoons ?
(A) Malabar coast (B) Konkan coast (C) Coromondal coast (D) Kathiawar coast
110. The highest peak of South India is -
(A) Annamalai hill (B) Palini hill (C) Dodabetta (D) Anamudi
111. The "Breakdown Plan" in 1946 for transfer of power in India had been proposed by -
(A) Winston Churchil (B) Viceroy Lord Wavell (C) Lord Mountbatten (D) Clement Attlee
112. Isogenic lines is the line of equal-
(A) Earth inclination (B) Magnetic declination (C) Polar inclination (D) Magnetic inclination
113. The mangroove forests are found in -
(A) Western Ghat
(B) Eastern Ghat
(C) Deltaic region of Krishna and Godavari
(D) North-East Himalaya
114. Which of the following are correct to describe the character of the Aligarh movement ?
(i) Anti-British (ii) Pro-British (iii) Anti-Congress (iv) Pro-Congress (v) Anti-Hindu (vi) Pro-Hindu
Select the answer from codes given below :
(A) (i), (ii) and (iii) (B) (ii), (iii) and (iv) (C) (ii), (iii) and (v) (D) (i), (iii) and (v)
115. At the time of which of the following events / movements Jawaharlal Nehru admitted that : "Never before in history had such unified sentiments been manifested by various divergent sections of the population" ?
(A) Quit India Movement (B) Imphal campaign of the INA (C) INA Trial (D) RIN mutiny
116. Which of the following movements were 'temple entry' movement organized in early 20th century ?
(A) Vaikkam Satyagraha 1924-25
(B) Guruvayur Satyagraha (1931-33) in Malabar
(C) Munshiganj Kali temple Satyagraha in Bengal (1929)
(D) All of the above
117. Which of the following is wrongly matched ?
(A) Srinagar : Jhelum (B) Lucknow : Gomati (C) Tiruchirapalli : Periyar (D) Panji : Manduli
118. The labour movement in India Primarily owes its orgin to-
(A) draft recommendations of the Washington Internationa] Labour Conference.
(B) economic depression.
(C) the General awakening following the First World War.
(D) the efforts of the Indian National Congress.
119. The state which has longest coastline is -
(A) Andhra Pradesh (B) Gujarat (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Kerala
120. In 1940 January, in his letter to C. F. Andrews, who was described by Gandhiji as "my son"- but a "spoilt child of the family" ?
(A) Jawaharlal Nehru (B) Minoo Masani (C) Muhammad Ali Jinnah (D) Subhas Chandra Bose
121. Which of the following statements is / are correct about the Civil Disobedience Movement ?
(i) There was a discernible absence of Hindu-Muslim unity.
(ii) The movement received a massive business support.
(iii) There was large scale women's participation,
(iv) From September, 1930 onwards the movement began to decline.
Choose the answer from codes given below :
(A) (i) and (ii) (B) (ii) and (iv) (C) (ii) and (iii) (D) All of the above
122. Which one of the following is not a tributary of Godavari ?
(A) Wardha (B) Wainganga (C) Manjra (D) Tel
123. On the basis of which formula / plan Gandhiji, in April 1944 proposed talks with Jinnah which Jinnah refused to accept ?
(A) August offer (B) Wavel (C) Rajaji formula (D) 3rd June Plan
124. By whom was the new imperial policy of "Paramountcy" initiated ?
(A) Lord Wellesley (B) Lord Comwallis (C) Lord Hastings (D) Warren Hastings
125. Which of the following statements about Tipu Sultan is not corect ?
(A) His reign represented a discontinuity in 18th Century Indian politics, as his kingship was rooted firmly in a strong regional tradition.
(B) In a symbolic gesture to proclaim his independence, he issued coins without any reference to the Mughal emperior.
(C) Instead of emperor Shah Alam's name he inserted his own name in the Khutba (Friday prayers at the Mosque's).
(D) He never sought a sanad from the Ottoman Khalifa to legitimise his rule.
126. The Indian Space Research Organisation is in -
(A) Trivandrum (B) Bangalore (C) Thumba (D) Sriharikota
127. Which one is wrongly matched ?
(A) Ahmedabad - Sabarmati (B) Hyderabad - Krishna (C) Kota - Chambal (D) Nasik - Godavari
128. Population density of West Bengal as on 2011 is -
(A) 1028 person per square km.
(B) 1023 person per square km.
(C) 1038 person per square km.
(D) 1033 person per square km,
129. Palk Strait separates India from -
(A) Pakistan (B) China (C) Sri Lanka (D) Maldives
130. The oldest mountain range of India is -
(A) Satpura (B) Vindhyas (C) Aravalli (D) Himalayas
131. The river which originates from Mansarovar Lake is -
(A) Ganga (B) Yamuna (C) Ravi (D) Sutlej
132. Mcmohan Line is in between -
(A) India and Pakistan (B) India and Afghanistan (C) India and China (D) Pakistan and Afghanistan
133. Which one is the land locked state ?
(A) Gujarat (B) Andhra Pradesh (C) West Bengal (D) Bihar
134. Which of the following is the manchester of South India ?
(A) Chennai (B) Tirunelvali (C) Perambur (D) Coimbatore
135. ----- is a volcanic island of India -
(A) Narcadam (B) New Moore (C) Pambass (D) Rameshwaram
136. The largest reserve of Sal forests is found in -
(A) Eastern Peninsula (B) Nilgiri hills (C) Dehradun valley (D) Aravali
137. Which of the following rivers is flowing through a rift valley ?
(A) Godavari (B) Tapti (C) Krishna (D) Kaveri
138. The oldest oil in India was dug at-
(A) Naharkatia (B) Ankleshwar (C) Moran (D) Digboi
139. Who prepares the topographical maps of India ?
(A) Geological Survey of India
(B) Survey of India
(C) Defence Ministry
(D) Geographical Survey of India
140. Marble Falls is found in -
(A) Cuvery river (B) Sharaswati river (C) Narmada river (D) Godavari river
141. What is Jhoom ?
(A) A type of cultivation (B) A music of tribe (C) A tribal dance (D) A type of soil
142. Dandkaranya Project is situated in-
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Maharashtra (C) Madlya Pradesh (D) Goa
143. Which one of the following is the boundary between India and Sri Lanka ?
(A) Gulf of Mannar (B) Palk bay (C) Palk Strait (D) Malacca Strait
144. Literacy rate of West Bengal as on 2011 is-
(A) 72.04% (B) 77.08% (C) 78.01% (D) 73.50%
145. Which is the largest Salt water lake in India ?
(A) Lonar Lake (B) Pulicat Lake (C) Chilka Lake (D) Wular Lake
146. In which region of India tank irrigntion is most popular ?
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Rajasthan (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Tamil Nadu
147. The highest peak of India in Himalayan range is -
(A) Mt. Everest (B) Nanda Devi (C) Kanchanjunga (D) Godwin Austine
148. Neyvelli thermal power station is located in-
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Madhya Pradesh (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Karnataka
149. Baralachala pass is in -
(A) Punjab (B) Uttar Pradesh (C) Uttaranachal (D) Hlmachal Pradesh
150. Where is the forest research institute located ?
(A) Delhi (B) Bhopal (C) Dehradun (D) Lucknow
151. Population density of India as on 2011 is -
(A) 372 person per square km.
(B) 382 person per aquare km.
(C) 392 person per square km.
(D) 352 person per aquare km.
152. In which state the highest waterfall is located in India ?
(A) Karnataka (B) Assam (C) Tamil Nadu (D) Kerala
153. Which one is wrongly matched ?
(A) Nagarjuna Sagar Project - Krishna
(B) Hirakund - Mahanadi
(C) Bhakra Nangal - Sutluj
(D) Ukai - Chambal
154. The oldest atomic power station is -
(A) Kalpakkam (B) Tarapur (C) Narora (D) Kota
155. Uranium is mined at Jaduguda in -
(A) Rajasthan (B) Kerala (C) Jharkhand (D) Karnataka
156. The city which is called Cottonopolis of India -
(A) Kanpur (B) Ahmedabad (C) Mumbai (D) Coimbatore
157. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(A) Dhupgarh : Satpura
(B) Panchmarhi : Mahadev
(C) Dodagiri : Nilgiris
(D) Mahendragiri : Eastern Ghats
158. Zojila is a pass between -
(A) Kashmir valley and Laddakh
(B) Lahaul valley and Spiti
(C) Chumbi valley and Sikkim
(D) Arunacha! Pradesh and Tibet
159. River cauvery flows through the state of -
(A) Madya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu
(B) Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu
(C) Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu
(D) Kerala. Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
160. The Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute is located at -
(A) Madras (B) Goa (C) Cochin (D) Kolkata
161. Which one of the following mountain range is latest in its origin ?
(A) Greater Himalayas (B) Vindhyas (C) Siwaliks (D) Satpura
162. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(A) Karnapura coalfields - Jharkhand
(B) Singareni coalfieids - Madhya Pradesh
(C) Raniganj coalfields - West Bengal
(D) Talcher coalfields - Orissa
163. Which one of the following river is no trans Himalayan ?
(A) Sutlej (B) Brahmaputra (C) Indus (D) Ganga
164. Bhakkhra-Nangal is a combined project of -
165. 'Diago Garcia' is an island in the ocean-
(A) Atlantic (B) Pacific (C) Indian (D) Arctic
166. Isohyets lines shows the distribution of ------- on map.
(A) Temperature (B) Rainfall (C) Snowfall (D) Humidity
167. In which state silent valley is located ?
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Assam (C) Kerala (D) Rajasthan
168. The two branches of Ganga, Bhagirathi and Alakananda joins at -
(A) Rudraprayag (B) Haridwar (C) Devprayag (D) Sonprayag
169. River Brahmaputra flows through -
(A) Tibet, Bangladesh, India
(B) India, China, Bangladesh, Tibet
(C) India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sikkim
(D) Bangladesh, West Bengal, Bhutan
170. Rihand is the project of which state ?
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Madhya Pradesh (C) Bihar (D) Kamataka
171. Lowest literacy rate found in West Bengal is in -
(A) Purba Medinipur (B) Coch Bihar (C) Uttar Dinajpur (D) Malda
172. Which one of the following is not a tributary of Ganga ?
(A) Gandak (B) Gomati (C) Kosi (D) Ghaggar
173. Which is a 'Foot Loose' industry ?
(A) Electronics (B) Leather (C) Paper (D) Cement
174. Kundal hydro-electric project is located at -
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) West Bengal (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Kerala
175. The 'rain shadow' region in India is -
(A) the eastern part of Western Ghat
(B) Chotanagpur plateau
(C) Piedmont of Himalayas
(D) The desert
176. The highest dam in India is -
(A) Tehri dam (B) Bhakra Nangal dam (C) Hirakud dam (D) Nagarjuna Sagar dam
177. The Public Postal System in India was started in which year ?
(A) 1837 (B) 1938 (C) 1848 (D) 1839
178. Southern most point of Indian territory is-
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Lakshadeep (C) Trivandrum (D) Andaman and Nicobar islands
179. Saramati is the highest peak of -
(A) Naga (B) Aravalli (C) Himalaya (D) Nilgiri
180. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(B) Shivpuri-Madhya Pradesh
(D) Corbett National Park-Uttaranchal
181. The two branches of the Ganga include -
(A) Bhagirathi and Yamuna
(B) Bhagirathi and Alkananda
(C) Mandakini and Yamuna
(D) Mandakini and Son-Ganga
182. The place famous for copper is -
(A) Khetri (B) Hazaribagh (C) Ranchi (D) Tarapur
183. Pullicut lake is which type of lake ?
(A) Crater lake (B) Salt lake (C) Glaciated lake (D) Lagoon lake
184. The largest petroleum refinery in India is -
(A) Mathura (B) Digboi (C) Koyali (D) Trombay
185. The Peninsular Plateau of India extends to -
(A) Mizo hills (B) Himachal Himalayas (C) Meghalaya hills (D) Assam valley
186. Which one of the following Himalayan rivers is not an antecedent stream ?
(A) Indus (B) Sutlej (C) Kali (D) Brahmaputra
187. Indus and Brahmaputra rivers are example of -
(A) Subsequent drainage
(B) Super-imposed drainage
(C) Consequent drainage
(D) Antecedent drainage
188. UNESCO declared ---------- as a Biosphere Reserve as well as a World Heritage site in 1997 -
(A) Bitarkanika (B) Jim Corbet (C) Kanha (D) Sundarban
189. The tribals of central and southern India belongs to -
(A) Negritos (B) Mongoloids (C) Braehy caphals (D) Proto-Australiods
190. Level of urbanization in West Bengal in 2011 is -
(A) 27.81% (B) 31.16% (C) 28.32% (D) 32.24%
191. Which one of the following is not correctly matched ?
(A) White Revolution - Milk Production
(B) Blue Revolution - Fish Production
(C) Yellow Revolution - Oilseed Production
(D) Green Revolution - Rice Production
192. Which one of the following shipyard centre is largest in India ?
(A) Cochin Shipyard Ltd, Kochi
(B) The Garden Reach Workshop, Kolkata
(C) Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Vishakhapatnam
(D) The Mazgaon Dock, Mumbai
193. Idukki Thermal Power Station is in the state of -
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) Andhra Pradesh (C) Kerala (D) Karnataka
194. Pulicut Lake is situated at the coast of -
(A) Malabar Coast (B) Konkan Coast (C) Coromandal Coast (D) None of the above
195. The channel which separates Car Nicobar from little Andaman is -
(A). 9° Channel (B) 8° Channel (C) 10° Channel (D) 7° Channel
196. Majule island formed which river ?
(A) Godavari (B) Cauvery (C) Brahmaputra (D) Krishna
197. Which state is leading producer of coconut ?
(A) Assam (B) Kerala (C) Tamil Badu (D) Karnataka
198. The highest yield of rice per hectare in India is in -
(A) Tamil Nadu (B) West Bengal (C) Haryana (D) Punjab
199. The Garo, Khashi, Jainto hills were formed in the same age as -
(A) Himalaya (B) Malwa Plateau (C) Siwalik (D) Himachal Range
200. The Iongest highway (N.H.) of India is -
(A) NH-2 (B) NH-1 (C) NH-3 (D) NH-7