WEST BENGAL CIVIL SERVICE
EXAMINATION - 2006
Time Allowed-3 Hours Full Marks-100
Group - A
(Answer any three questions.)
1. (a) Explain GERL region,
(b) Malfunctioning of Lysosome often results in pathological disorders in human. Explain,
(c) State the functions of Peroxisome,
(d) Discuss the structural details of mitochondria. 4+3+3+10
2. (a) Explain spermiogenesis with suitable diagram,
(b) Discuss the principal events of fertilization. 10+10
3. (a) What is epistasis ? Explain recessive epistasis with suitable example,
(b) Define linkage. Explain incomplete linkage with suitable example. 2+8+2+8
4. Write notes on : 4x5 = 20
(a) Dosage compensation,
(c) Sex limited trait.
(e) Turner syndrome.
5. (a) Distinguish between micro evolution and macro evolution: Describe the evolutionary changes in the phylogeny of horse,
(b) Explain punctuated equilibrium 4+12+4
Group - B
(Answer any two questions.)
6. Write notes on : (any five) 4x5 = 20
(a) Sibling species,
(f) Properties of taxa name,
(g) Natural classification.
7. (a) Explain counter current multiplier mechanism in terms of urine formation. What is meant by facultative water absorption ?
(b) Explain tie molecular basis of muscle contraction. 8+2+10
8. (a) What is meant by saponification number of flat ?
(b) Write on the properties of cholesterol,
(c) State the general properties of simple sugar,
(d) What is meant by coagulation and denaturation of protein. 3+5+6+3+3