MCQ on History of Indian National Movement for WBCS/SSC/Misc Competetive Exams
1. In which region freedom movement of India started at earliest ?
(a) Punjab (b) Maharasthra (c) Bengal (d) Gujrat
2. Which one helped towards launch of First War of Indian independence in 1857 ?
(a) Zamindary system (b) Subsidiary alliance (c) Doctine of lapse (d) None of these
3. 'Poverty and Un-British Rule in India' was authored by :
(a) R. C. Dutta (b) G. V. Joshi (c) Ram Mohan Roy (d) None of these
4. The Pioneer of 'Drain Theory' who authored Economic History of India, was :
(a) R. C. Dutta (b) G. V. joshi (c) Ram Mohan Roy (d) None of these
5. During the British rule the foreign trade of India remained :
(a) Balanced (b) Favourable (c) Unfavourable (d) None of these
6. During British rule India used to have more export in relation to import to have trade surplus to be invested in :
(a) India (b) England (c) Wars (d) None of these
7. During the period of British rule in India the cottage industries of India began to face closure for :
(a) Shortage of demand in India (b) import of cheap machine made Items
(c) forcible closure of industries by British rulers (d) None of these
8. The zaminders of India were found generally :
(a) helpful towards freedom movement (b) against freedom movement
(c) indifferent towards freedom movement (d) None of these
9. Sir Hyde East, who was a pioneer of expansion of education in India, was :
(a) Chancellor of Calcutta University
(b) Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
(c) Educaton Secretary of British India
(d) None of these
10. Which one has not been correctly matched regarding year of establishment ?
(a) Sanskrit College : 1823 (b) Roorkee Engineering College : 1849
(c) Presidency college : 1853 (d) Calcutta University : 1865
11. Which had highest effect towards freedom movement in India ?
(a) Economic exploitation (b) Political oppression
(c) transportation development (d) expansion of education
12. Who used to publish 'Sambad Kaumudi' ?
(a) Ram Mohan Roy (b) Iswar Chandra Vidya Sagar (c) Dwaraka Nath Tagore (d) None of these
13. Raja Ram Mohan Roy wrote a book on 'Monothism' in :
(a) English (b) Bengali (c) Persian (d) Sanskrit
14. Which one is not true about the life of Raja Rammohan Roy ?
(a) He served under British rulers
(b) He established Vedanta College
(c) He was against the philosophy vedas
(d) He died at Bristol of England
15. Which one of the following associations was not set up in Calcutta/kolkata ?
(a) Zamindary Association (b) British India Association
(c) Indian Association (d) Indian National Congress
16. During the period of the 'Sepoy Mutiny' around what percentage of the members of Armed forces under the British rulers of India were of European origin ?
(a) 20 (b) 30 (c) 40 (d) 50
17. In a day of which month in 1857 AD Mangal Pande revolted at Barrackpore ?
(a) February (b) March (c) June (d) None
18. During the period of Sepoy Mutiny, Nana Sahib declared himself as the Peshwa of :
(a) Nagpur (b) Gwalior (c) Kanpur (d) None
19. Who described Lakshmi Bai of Jhansi as the 'best and bravest' of the rebels ?
(a) Sir Henry Lawrence (b) Sir Hugh Rose (c) R. C. Majumder (d) None of these
20. Sepoy Mutiny activist who was caught and executed was :
(a) Nana Saheb (b) Kunwar Singh (c) TantiaTopi (d) lakshmi Bai
21. Who authored 'War of Indian Independence of 1857' ?
(a) V. D. Shavarkar (b) Dababhai Nauroji (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
22. Permanent Settlement adversely affected the interest of the :
(a) Zaminders (b) businessmen (c) tenants (d) None of these
23. The Sir William Hunter Commission to enquire about educational system was set up in 1882 by :
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Mayo (d) None of these
24. The Parthana Samaj was established by Keshab Chandra Sen in 1867 in :
(a) Calcutta (b) Allahabad (c) Bombay (d) None of these
25. The 'Suddhi' programme was introduced by :
(a) Swami Sraddhananda (b) Dayanand Saraswati (c) Lala Lajpat Rai (d) None of these
26. Indians had higher sense of nationalism from :
(a) American freedom Movement (b) French Revolution
(c) Russian Revolution (d) all of these
27. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Dayanand Saraswati : Satartha Prakash
(b) Surendranath Banerjee : A National in Making
(c) Deena Bandhu Mitra : Neel Darpan
(d) Michael Madhusudhan Dutta : Sitaram
28. The first Bengali weekly 'Samachar Darpan' was started in 1818 from :
(a) Calcutta (b) Srerampore (c) Howrah (d) None of these
29. Margaret Nobel, popularly known as Sister Nivedita, was of :
(a) English origin (b) Irish origin (c) French origin (d) American origin
30. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Atmiya Sabha : Rammohan Roy
(b) Satya Shondhak Samaj : Jyotirao Govindrao Phule
(c) Samaj Samata Sangh : B. R. Ambedkar
(d) Tatvabodhini Sabha : Dwaraka Nath Tagore
31. The book 'Taufat-ul-Muwahidin' or 'A Gift to Monotheists' was authored by :
(a) Rammohah Roy (b) Abul Kalam Azad (c) M.G.Ranade (d) None of these
32. Satyashodhak Samaj was set up for the upliftment of the conditions of :
(a) Peasants (b) workers (c) Lower caste people (d) None of these
33. A Congress Committee led by Motilal Nehru demand 'Dominion' Status for India in 1928 during the reign of :
(a) Lord Chelmsford (b) Lord Irwin (c) Lord Linlithgow (d) None of these
34. Which colony of Britain was not enjoying Dominion status when Congress leaders of India was willing to have this Status ?
(a) Canada (b) Australia (c) New Zealand (d) Nigeria
35. Indian leader who attended all the three Round Table Conferences held in London was :
(a) M. K. Gandhi (b) B. R. Ambedkar (c) Sarojini Naidu (d) None of these
36. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Champaran Satyagraha :1917
(b) Kaira or Kheda Satyagraha : 1918
(c) Moplah Rebellion : 1921
(d) Bardoloi Satyagraha : 1929
37. Which one was not an aspects of Gandhi-Irwin Pact of 1931 ?
(a) Withdrawal of civil Disobedience Movement launched by Gandhiji in 1930
(b) Participation of the Congress Party in the Second Round Table Conference
(c) Release of all Satyagrahi prisoners by the British rulers
(d) Decision to accord 'Dominion' status for India
38. Gandhi-Irwin Pact was signed in March, 1931 and Gandhiji attended the Second Round Table Conference in London in 1931 starting in :
(a) September (b) October (c) November (d) December
39. Gandhiji was arrested and sent to Yedarva prison of Poona in 1932 during the reign of :
(a) Lord Irwin (b) Lord Willingdon (c) Lord Linlithgow (d) None of these
40. In August, 1928 an all party Conference was arranged in :
(a) Lahore (b) Allahabad (c) Lucknow (d) Bombay
41. British Prime Minister Mr. Ramsay Macdonald announced Communal Award in :
(a) 1931 (b) 1932 (c) 1933 (d) None of these
42. On the basis of Government of Indian Act of 1935, Congress Ministries were formed in majority of Indian provinces in :
(a) 1936 (b) 1937 (c) 1938 (d) None of these
43. Poona Pact was signed in 1932 mainly between Gandhiji and :
(a) Mohammed Ali Jinnah (b) Lord Willingdon (c) B. R. Ambdkar (d) None of these
44. In 1938 Subhas Chandra Bose was chosen as the President of All India Congress in Congress session held at :
(a) Lucknow (b) Haripura (c) Tripura (d) None of these
45. Pattabhi Sitaramayya was defeated by Subhas Chandra Bose for the post of the Congress President in Conference held in :
(a) Tripuri (b) Calcuta (c) Haripura (d) None of these
46. Lord Wavell arranged a all party conference in 1945 at :
(a) Poona (b) Lucknow (c) Shimla (d) None of these
47. The Congress adopted 'Quit India Movement' resolution after the arrival :
(a) Simon Commission (b) Cripps Mission (c) Cabinet Mission (d) None of these
48. In which year the Provincial Congress Ministries resigned and the Muslim League observed 'Deliverance Day' ?
(a) 1939 (b) 1940 (c) 1941 (d) None of these
49. Who was not associated as a member of the Cabinet Mission ?
(a) Sir Stafford Cripps (b) A. V. Alexander (c) Lord Pethick Lawrence (d) Lord Chelmsford
50. When the Cabinet Mission came to India from London then Chief of the British rulers of India was :
(a) Lord Wavell (b) Lord Linlithgow (c) Lord Mountbatten (d) None of these
51. Rajaji Formula put forward by C. Rajagopalachari was in :
(a) 1943 (b) 1944 (c) 1945 (d) None of these
52. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Debendranath Tagore set up Tatvabodhini Sabha
(b) The pioneer of young Bengal Movement was Henry Vivian Derozio
(c) Adi Brahmo Samaj was organised by Keshab Chandra Sen
(d) The pioneer of Aligarh Movement was Sir Syed Ahmed
53. In which year the Deccan Peasant uprising happened mainly in Maharashtra ?
(a) 1875 (b) 1895 (c) 1915 (d) None of these
54. Who was the President of first All India Kishan Sabha at Lucknow in 1936 ?
(a) N. G. Ranga (b) Gauri Shankar Mishra (c) Swami Sahajanand (d) None of these
55. The first newspaper of India 'The Bengal Gazette' by James Augusts Hickey had first publication in :
(a) 1780 (b) 1795 (c) 1815 (d) None of these
56. Who started publication of 'Mirat-ul-Akbar' ?
(a) Raja Rammohan Roy (b) Sir Syed Ahmed (c) Mazhar-ul-Huq (d) None of these
57. The Bardoli Satyagraha held in 1928 against the increase of land tax rate by :
(a) 15% (b) 22% (c) 26% (d) 30%
58. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Kesari : B. G. Tilak (b) Voice of India : Dadabhai Nouroji
(c) Bengalee : S. N. Banerjee (d) Indian Mirror : G. K. Gokhale
59. Who, among the following served in the post of the Congress President ?
(a) Allen Octavian Hume (b) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (c) Ramesh Chandra Dutta (d) None of these
60. Shimla Conference organised by Lord Minto was arranged in :
(a) 1906 (b) 1907 (c) 1908 (d) None of these
61. Though the Muslim League was organised in Dhaka in 1906 but the activities of this organisation were mainly in the areas of :
(a) Maharashtra (b) Delhi (c) Calcutta (d) Uttar Pradesh
62. Which one is not true about Ms. Annie Beasant ?
(a) She organised Theosophical Society
(b) She organised 'Home Rule League' in Madras
(c) She was elected first women Congress President in 1917 AD
(d) She was associated with the Non-Cooperation Movement
63. The Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) was organised by :
(a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Sardar Vallabhai Patel (c) Motilal Nahru (d) None of these
64. Who led the formation of the Radical Democratic Party ?
(a) M. N. Roy (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) N. M. Joshi (d) None of these
65. Which one of the following districts was mainly associated with 'Chuar' rebellion ?
(a) Burdwan (b) Murshdabad (c) Midnapore (d) None of these
66. Sidhu and Kanhu were associated with :
(a) Ho rebellion (b) Santal rebellion (c) Sanyasi rebellion (d) None of these
67. Farazi rebellion led by Haji Shariatullah happened mainly in the district of :
(a) Dhaka (b) Chittagong (c) Maldaha (d) Faridpur
68. Begam Hazrat Mahal was an important leader of Sepoy Mutiny in :
(a) Lucknow (b) Kanpur (c) Bareilly (d) None of these
69. Who stated, "Political freedom is the breath of a nation" ?
(a) B. G. Tilak (b) Aurobindo Ghosh (c) Swami Viveknanda (d) None of these
70. Which one was not organised by V. D. Savarkar ?
(a) Mitra Mela (b) Abhinav Bharat (c) Yugantar (d) None of these
71. The 'Gardar Party' was organised in USA but its activities led by Lala Hardyal used to be operated from :
(a) Tokyo (b) Singapore (c) Barlin (d) Paris
72. In which session of the Congress Party held in Surat the Congress became divided into two groups ?
(a) 21st (b) 22nd (c) 23rd (d) 24th
73. Bal Gangadhar Tilak organised 'Home Rule League' at :
(a) Mumbai (b) Poona (c) Delhi (d) None of these
74. Which is not true about Lucknow Session of Congress in 1916 :
(a) Moderates and Extremist resolved their differences in this session
(b) The Congress and the Muslim League signed Lucknow Pact after the session
(c) B. G. Tilak and Annie Beasant emerged as important figures of Congress party
(d) This session demanded 'Dominion Status' for India
75. Who was the first Indian to qualify in the Indian Civil Service Exam held in London ?
(a) Satyendrqa Nath Tagore (b) B. L. Gupta (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
76. In which year the Civil Service Examination was held simultaneously in England and India for the first time ?
(a) 1920 (b) 1922 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
77. Jallianwala Bagh massacre happened in Amritsarin 1919 on :
(a) 6th April (b) 9th April (c) 13th April (d) 17th April
78. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched ?
(a) 'Anandmath' of Bamkim Chandra was published in 1882
(b) Swami Vivekananda delivered lecture at Chicago in 1893
(c) Dramatic Performance Control Act was imposed in 1876
(d) Vernacular Press Act was imposed in 1888
79. The first Jute mill was set up in 1855 by Geoerge Aucland in :
(n) Howrah (b) Rishra (c) Naihati (d) None of these
80. Jamsedji Tata established Tata Iron and Stell Company (TISCO) in :
(a) 1905 (b) 1906 (c) 1907 (d) None of these
81. Who was the Chief of National Council of Education formed In 1906 AD ?
(a) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee (b) Sir Gurudas Banerjee (c) Aurobindo Ghosh (d) None of these
82. With which news magazine Keshab Sen was not associated ?
(a) Sulabh Samachar (b) Balak Bandhu (c) Naba Bidhan (d) None of these
83. Hindu College set up in 1817 AD became known as Presidency College in :
(a) 1845 (b) 1853 (c) 1865 (d) None of these
84. In which year Ramkrishna Mission was set up by Swami VIvekananda ?
(a) 1895 (b) 1896 (c) 1897 (d) 1898
85. The book 'Indian Renaissance' was authored by :
(a) Swami Vivekananda (b) M. G. Ranade (c) C. F. Andrews (d) None of these
86. Swami Dayanand Swaraswati organised the 'Arya Samaj' in 1875 in:
(a) Gujarat (b) Punjab (c) Maharashtra (d) None of these
87. Who was not associated with the organization of 'Hindu Mela' ?
(a) Rajnarayan Basu (b) Nabagopal Mitra (C) V. D. Savarkar (d) None of these
88. 'Parthana Samaj' was organised in 1867 by :
(a) Devendra Nath Tagore (b) Atmaram Pandurang (c) M. G. Ranade (d) None of these
89. The concept of 'Man Making religion' was advocated by :
(a) Swami Dayanand (b) Swami Vivekananda (c) Swami Sahajanand (d) None of these
90. Which book was not authored by Swami Vivekandnda ?
(a) Rajyoga (b) Jnanyoga (c) Paribrajak (d) Bharat Pathik
91. Swami Vivekananda died in 1902 AD at an age of around :
(a) 45 years (b) 43 years (c) 41 years (d) 39 years
92. Which one of the Statements was not made by Swami Vivekandnda ?
(a) Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached
(b) Motion is the sign of life
(c) Back to Vedas
(d) Freedom was deserved only by the bold and the brave.
93. 'Hindu Patriot' which extensively reported on oppression done to Indigo cultivators was edited by :
(a) Deena Bandhu Mitra (b) Harish Chandra Mukherjee (c) James Long (d) None of these
94. Indigo rebellion was started by Vishnu Charan Biswas and Digambar Biswas in 1859 in :
(a) Mednapore (b) Murshidabad (c) Nadia (d) None of these
95. The Indigo issues stopped in India after artificial indigo was started to be manufactured in 1891 in :
(a) Britain (b) France (c) Germany (d) None of these
96. Available information indicated that 'Neel Darpan' was actually translated in English by :
(a) James Long (b) Madhusudan Dutta (c) Sisir Kumar Ghosh (d) None of these
97. The main cause of the Indigo Movement in 1859 was :
(a) Political (b) Social (c) Economic (d) None of these
98. Which one has not been correctly matched :
(a) Indian Mirror : Keshab Chandra Sen
(b) The Bengalee : Surendranath Banerjee
(c) Hindu Patriot : Sisir Kumar Ghosh
(d) Sangbad Pravakar : Iswar Gupta
99. 'White Mutiny' against the provisions of the Ilbert Bill happened in 1883 during the reign of :
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lytton (c) Lord Mayo (c) None of these
100. Who considered the Indian National Congress as 'a microscopic minority of the people' ?
(a) Lord Duffraine (b) Lord Curzon (c) Lord Ripon (d) None of these
101. Who criticised Congress Conference as 'Circus for three days' ?
(a) Lord Curzen (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) Ashwini Kumar Dutta (d) Subhas Bose
102. Which one has not been correctly matched :
(a) New India : Bipin Chandra Paul
(b) Bangadarshan : Harish Ch.Mukherjee
(c) Sanjivani : Krishna Kumar Mitra
(d) Bandemataram : Aurobindo Ghosh
103. Badruddin Tayabjee was chosen as the third President of Indian National Congress in Conference held in 1887 in :
(a) Allahabad (b) Lucknow (c) Madras (d) Pune
104. By division of Bengal in 1905 new Province created was :
(a) East Bengal (b) Bengal (c) East Bengal and Assam (d) None of these
105. On the day of the 1st partition of Bengal in 1905, Rabindranaih Tagore called to observe 'Rakhi Bandhan' festival the date was :
(a) 12th October (b) 16th October (c) 4th November (d) 22nd November
106. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Modern Review : Ramanand Chatterjee
(b) Indian World : Pritish Ch. Roy
(c) Dawn : Satish Ch. Mukherjee
(d) Bengalee : Bhupendra nath Dutta
107. 'Dawn Society' was established by :
(a) Aurobindo Ghosh (b) Rashbehari Ghosh (c) Satish Chandra Mukherjee (d) None of these
108. The 'Sandha' news magazine was published by :
(a) Bamkim Chandra Chatterjee (b) Brahma Bandhab Upadhyay
(c) Monoranjan Guhathakurata (d) None of these
109. Who stated 'I will Unsettle the Settled Fact' regarding the 1st partition of Bengal ?
(a) Surendranath Banerjee (b) Aurabimln Ghosh (c) Subhas Chandra Bose (d) None of these
110. In which year Satish Chandra Basu organised 'Anusilan Samity' ?
(a) 1902 AD (b) 1906 AD (c) 1909 AD (d) None of these
111. On which day of 1908 AD, Khudiram Basu was hanged to death in Majaffarpur jail ?
(a) 30th April (b) 16th May (c) 17th June (d) 11th August
112. Rashbihari Bose bombed towards Lord Hardinge in 1912 AD when he was serving as a Forest Research Officer in :
(a) Delhi (b) Lucknow (c) Dehradun (d) None of these
113. Who was considered as the "Father of militant nationalism" in India by the Historian Ramesh Chandra Majumder ?
(a) V. D. Savarkar (b) M. N. Roy (c) Vasudev B. Fadke (d) Aurobindo Ghosh
114. Who was hanged to death in London for killing Sir Curzon Willy in 1909 ?
(a) Madan Lai Dhingra (b) Narayan Despande (c) V. D. Savarkar (d) None of these
115. J. M. Chatterjee organised a secret militant outfit in Saharanpur of :
(a) Maharashtra (b) Uttar Pradesh (c) Punjab (d) None of these
116. Hindustan Republic Association was organised in 1912 by :
(a) Jogesh Chandra Chatterjee (b) Chandra Sekhar Azad (c) Basant Biswas (d) None of these
117. Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru, Batukeshwar Dutta were hanged to death in relation to :
(a) Lahore Conspiracy case (b) Merat Conspiracy case (c) Nasik Conspiracy case (d) None of these
118. Indian Republican Army was organised by :
(a) Rash Behari Bose (b) Masterda Surya Sen (c) Jatindranath Mukherjee (d) None of these
119. Labour leader Singaravellu organised First labour day in India on 1st May of :
(a) 1922 (b) 1923 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
120. Who organised the Communist Party of India in Teshkent of Soviet Union ?
(a) Manabendranath Roy (b) Sripad Amrit Dange (c) P. C. Joshi (d) None of these
121. Who was the Chief of British rulers of India when First War of Indian Independence or Sepoy Mutiny happened in India ?
(a) Lord Dalhousie (b) Lord Canning (c) Lord Elgin (d) None of these
122. In which place the Sepoy Mutiny was initiated at the earliest ?
(a) Meerat (b) Nagpur (c) Barrackpore (d) None of these
123. Who among the following, were against the Sepoy Mutiny ?
(a) Farmers (b) Zaminders (c) Deposed rulers (d) None of these
124. After the end of the Sepoy Mutiny the Mughal emperor 2nd Bahadur Shah was :
(a) Killed (b) Exiled (c) Put for Trial (d) None of these
125. Which one of the following Acts, was passed as a consequence of the 1st War of Independence or Sepoy Mutiny ?
(a) Charter Act (b) Indian Council Act (c) Indian Administration Act (d) None of these.
126. In which year Rail connection between Calcutta and Bombay started ?
(a) 1862 (b) 1865 (c) 1870 (d) None of these
127. In which year Rail connection between Madras and Bombay started ?
(a) 1862 (b) 1865 (c) 1871 (d) None of these
128. Which one of the following industries did not emerge in India within 19th century ?
(a) Jute (b) Textile (c) Iron (d) Engineering
129. Hunter Commission, headed by Sir William Hunter was set up in 1882 and the report was submitted in 1884 for submitting recommendations in the areas of :
(a) Industries (b) Education (c) Autonomy of Local bodies (d) None of these
130. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Raja Rammohan Ray : Brahma Samaj
(b) Swami Dayananda Saraswati : Arya Samaj
(c) Keshab Chandra Sen : Parthana Samaj
(d) Madan Mohan Malavia : Vedic Samaj
131. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Aligarh University : Sir Syed Ahmed
(b) Maratha Hindu University : Madan Mohan Malavia
(c) Ramakrishna Mission : Swami Vivekananda
(d) Visvabharti University : Rabindranath Tagore
132. Who among the following, at first stated about 'Two Nations Theory' between the Hindus and Muslims of India ?
(a) Moulana Abul Kalam Azad (b) Sir Syed Ahmed (c) Mohammad Ali Jinnah (d) Choudhary Rahamat Ali
133. Which one of the following has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Bankim Chandra : Ananda Math
(b) Deenabandhu Mitra : Neel Darpan
(c) Dwijendra Lai Roy : Mebar Patan
(d) Rabindranath Tagore : Bartaman Bharat
134. Bartaman Bharat was authored by :
(a) Swami Vivekananda (b) Bankim Chandra (c) Deenabandhu Mitra (d) Dwijendra Lai Roy
135. The song 'Bande Mataram' was composed by :
(a) Vivekananda (b) Bankim Chandra (c) D. L. Roy (d) None of these
136. The song 'Sare Jahan Se Achha Hindustan Hamara ...' was composed by :
(a) R. N. Tripathi (b) Allama Iqbal (c) Mirza Galib (d) None of these
137. Which one of the following Newspapers did not helped the Indian National Movement during the British period ?
(a) Amrita Bazar Patrika (b) Dainik Basumati (c) Indian Mirror (d) The Times of India
138. Sisir Kumar Ghosh was associated with :
(a) Amritabazar (b) Ananda Bazar (c) Basumati (d) None of these
139. Which one of the following Newspaper changed from Bengali to English overnight to avoid censorship imposed under Vernacular Press Act ?
(a) Amritabazar Patrika (b) Dainik Basumati (c) Indian Mirror (b) Ananda Bazar
140. Who among the following, imposed Vernacular Press Act ?
(a) Lord Litton (b) Lord Ripon (c) Lord Duffrin (d) None of these
141. What was the former name of present daily 'The Statesman' ?
(a) Indian Mirror (b) Indian Patriot (c) Friend of India (d) None of these
142. Newspaper 'Friend of India' was started by :
(a) Robert Night (b) Suresh Chandra Majumdar (c) Prafulla Kumar Sarkar (d) None of these
143. Which one of the following Associations was constituted at the earliest ?
(a) Landholders Society (b) British India Association (c) Indian League (d) Indian National Congress
144. In which year Landholders Society was set up by Prince Dwarakanath Tagore
(a) 1838 (b) 1852 (c) 1875 (d) 1885
145. In which year Indian National Congress was set up by Allen Octavian Hume ?
(a) 1838 (b) 1852 (c) 1875 (d) 1885
146. Which one of the following Associations was set up by Surendranath Bannerjee ?
(a) Indian League (b) Indian Association (c) Mahajan Sabha (d) Indian National Union
147. In which year Indian Association was set up by Surendranath Bannerjee ?
(a) 1852 (b) 1875 (c) 1876 (d) 1885
148. Who among the following I.C.S. Officer was removed from service by the British rulers ?
(a) Satyendranath Tagore (b) Romesh Dutt (c) Behari Lal Gupta (d) Surendranath Bannerjee
149. What is the new name of Rippon College ?
(a) Surendranath College (b) Presidency College (c) ashutosh college (d) None of these
150. Who Presided in the first Session of Indian National Congress ?
(a) Allen Octavian Hume (b) Motilal Nehru (c) W. C. Bannerjee (d) None of these
151. Who was the Chief of the British rulers of India, during the time when Indian National Congress was formed in 1885 ?
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Duffrin (c) Lord Dalhousie (d) None of these
152. 'Ilbert Bill' was proposed during the period of :
(a) Lord Ripon (b) Lord Lansdowne (c) Lord Elgin (d) None of these
153. Who presided over the Second Session of Indian National Congress ?
(a) Dadabhai Naoroji (b) Badruddin Tayabji (c) Gorge Yule (d) None of these.
154. Who among the following was not an extremist leader ?
(a) Balgangadhar Tilak (b) Lala Lajpat Rai (c) Bipin Chandra Pal (d) Dadabhai Nauroji
155. Who led Swadeshi movement against the 1st Partition of Bengal in 1905 ?
(a) Arabinda Ghosh (b) Ashwini Kumar Dutta (c) Surendra Nath Banerjee (d) None of these
156. In which city Muslim League was formed in 1906 through encouragement given by British rulers to press for demand to retain Partition of Bengal ?
(a) Lucknow (b) Karachi (c) Dhaka (d) None of these
157. In which place the announcement to revoke the order of 1st Partition of Bengal was done ?
(a) Dhaka (b) Calcutta (c) Delhi (d) None of these
158. Who led the formation of 'Anusilan Samity' in Bengal ?
(a) Aurobindo Ghosh (b) Barindra Kumar Ghosh (c) Satish Chandra Basu (d) Bipin Behari Ganguly
159. In which year the Anusilan Samity was formed by Satish Chandra Basu to organise terrorist movement in Bengal ?
(a) 1901 (b) 1911 (c) 1921 (d) 1931
160. In a place of which one of modern State, Prafulla Chaki and Khudiram Bose threw bomb upon a car to kill a British officer in 1908 ?
(a) West Bengal (b) Uttar Pradesh (c) Bihar (d) None of these
161. Who among the following, organised Extremist/Terrorist group to fight against the British rulers, in India at the earliest ?
(a) Basudev Balvant Fadke (b) Vinayak Damodar Sarvakar (c) Lala Lajpat Rai (d) Lala Hardayal.
162. Who was the prime accused in 'Lahore conspiracy Case' ?
(a) Rashbehari Bose (b) Manabendra Nath Roy (c) Madan Lai Dhigra (d) None of these.
163. In which modern state of India 'Bagha Jatin' was killed in an armed encounter with the British Security Force ?
(a) West Bengal (b) Orissa (c) Bihar (d) Uttar Pradesh
164. In which year Gandhiji returned to India from South Africa ?
(a) 1910 (b) 1915 (c) 1920 (d) None of these
165. Who was chosen as first Woman President of Indian National Congress ?
(a) Annie Beasant (b) Sarojini Naidu (c) Vijay Laxmi Pandit (d) None of these
166. In which year Annie Beasant, a woman of European origin became President of Indian National Congress ?
(a) 1885 (b) 1895 (c) 1905 (d) 1917
167. In which year Sarojini Naidu, a woman of Indian origin become President of Indian National Congress ?
(a) 1895 (b) 1905 (c) 1917 (d) 1925
168. Which one of the following happened at the earliest ?
(a) Morley-Minto Reforms
(b) Montagu-Chemlsford Reforms
(c) Rowlatt Act
(d) Jalliwanwallabagh Massacre
169. Khalifat Movement led by Mohammed Ali and Swakat Ali were started during 1919-20 to protect the interest of :
(a) India (b) Persia (c) Turkey (d) None of these
170. who was the Chairman of the Khilafat Movement Committee ?
(a) Mohammed Ali (b) Swakat Ali (c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) None of these
171. In which year Non-Cooperation Movement was initiated ?
(a) 1920 (b) 1922 (c) 1924 (d) None of these
172. Who was not associated with formation of 'Swarajya Dal" ?
(a) Gandhiji (b) C. R. Das (c) Motilal Nehru (d) None of these
173. In which year Swarajya Dal was formed by Chitta Ranjan Das and Motilal Nehru
(a) 1905 (b) 1911 (c) 1923 (d) 1925
174. In which year Simon Commission came to India from England ?
(a) 1922 (b) 1924 (c) 1926 (d) 1928
175. In which year Congress Party took resolution to have complete freedom (i.e 'Purna Swaraj') for India ?
(a) 1928 (b) 1930 (c) 1929 (d) 1932
176. Which day was declared as the Independence Day for India in the Lahore Session held in 1929 ?
(a) 26th January of 1930 (b) 26th January of 1935 (c) 26th January of 1940 (d) 26th January, 1950
177. In which year Gandhiji organised 'Dandi March' from Sabarmati Ashram to Dandi Sea Shore in Gujrat agaisnt ban on salt production imposed by British rulers ?
(a) 1928 (b) 1930 (c) 1932 (d) None of these
178. "Red Shirt" (Lai Kurta) Party was formed in :
(a) Uttar Pradesh (b) NWFP (c) NEFP (d) None of these
179. In which place stores of arms and ammunitions of British Security force were looted by a group led by Surya Sen ?
(a) Midnapore (b) Dhaka (c) Chittagong (d) None of these
180. By whom Bardoli Movement was organised and led ?
(a) Mahtma Gandhi (b) Motilal Nehru (c) Ballavbhai Patel (d) None of these
181. In which year Allinda Juddha (Corridor Battle) happened in Calcutta Secretariat ?
(a) 8th December,1928 (b) 8th December,1930 (c) 8th December,1932 (d ) None of these
182. In which place First Round Table Conference was arranged ?
(a) Calcutta (b) Delhi (c) London (d) None of these
183. In which year Communal Award was announced by British rulers ?
(a) 1930 (b) 1932 (c) 1934 (d) None of these
184. Who among the following died for continuing indefinite fast ?
(a) Jatin Das (b) Bhagat Singh (c) Sukhdev (d) Rajguru
185. Who killed a British Officer in London ?
(a) Lai Hardayal (b) Madan Lai Dhingra (c) Damodar Chapekar (d) None of these
186. In which year elections were held to elect representatives for the Provincial Assemblies on the basis of Government of India Act. 1935 ?
(a) 1936 (b) 1937 (c) 1938 (d) None of these
187. In which year Subhas Bose had to resign the post of Congress President after being elected ?
(a) 1937 (b) 1938 (c) 1939 (d) 1940
188. In which year Muslim League took resolution to have a separate land for Indian Muslims ?
(a) 1938 (b) 1940 (c) 1942 (d) None of these
189. In which year Subhas Bose escaped from his house arrest in his Elgin Road Residence of Kolkata and went to Germany via Afghanistan ?
(a) 1941 (b) 1942 (c) 1943 (d) None of these
190. In which year Wavell Plan was announced by British rulers ?
(a) 1943 (b) 1944 (c) 1945 (d) None of these
191. Which one of the following groups of island was named a 'Saheed Dweep' by INA leader Netaji Subhas Bose ?
(a) Andamans (b) Nicobars (c) Lakshadweep (d) None of these
192. In which year Cripps Mission led by Sir Stafford Cripps, a member of British Council of Ministers and expert in constitutional affairs, proposed to arrange Dominion Status and some other political advantages for the Indians after the end of the on-going Second World War came to India ?
(a) 1940 (b) 1941 (c) 1942 (d) None of these
193. In which day 'Quit India Movement' was started ?
(a) 9th July, 1942 (b) 9th August, 1942 (c) 9th September, 1942 (d) None of these
194. In which year Bengal faced high famine condition ?
(a) 1942-43 (b) 1943-44 (c) 1944-45 (d) None
195. In which year the Cabinet Mission arrived in India from England ?
(a) 1944 (b) 1945 (c) 1946 (d) None
196. In which place large number of Navy personnel of Indian origin revolted on 18th February, 1946 ?
(a) Calicut (b) Madras (c) Bombay (d) None of these
197. In which month 'Direct Action' Day was observed by the Muslim League in 1946 ?
(a) July (b) August (c) September (d) October
198. In which day of 1946, an Interim Government was formed under the leadership of Pandit Jawhar Lai Nehru in India in order to arrange Indian freedom ?
(a) 2nd July (b) 2nd August (c) 2nd September (d) 2nd October
199. Who was chosen as Governor General of Free India in 1947 ?
(a) Rajendra Prasad (b) C. Rajagopalachari (c) Lord Mountbatten (d) None of these
200. Who was Governor General of Indian origin in Free India ?
(a) C. Rajagopalachari (b) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
(c) Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (d) None of these