1. Review of fundamentals; Heat and work, First law for unsteady flow system.
2. Pure Substance, Properties of pure substance; Phases of pure substances- Phase rule; Phase Change Processes
of Pure Substances – triple pt., critical pt.; Property diagrams of Phase change Processes; P-V-T surface for
phase change; Property tables of real substances - compressed liquid, saturated, wet & superheated vapour.
3. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics; the corollaries & their proofs; the property of entropy; entropy change of a
pure substance; Tds equations and calculation of entropy change; concept and uses of entropy; the entropy
generation principle. The second law of thermodynamics for an open system.
4. Exergy analysis, Reversible work and irreversibility, Exergy change of a system, 2nd Law efficiency.
5. Maxwell relations; Clapeyron Equation, Joule Thompson co-efficient
6. I.C.Engine, Air Standard cycles; Otto, Diesel, Dual Combustion.
7. Reciprocating air compressors; the compressor cycle with and without clearance, efficiencies; volumetric
efficiency & its effect on performance; multistaging.
8. Vapour power cycles & its modifications, Reheat & Regenerative cycle for steam, Binary cycle and
9. Refrigeration cycles, reversed carnot cycle; components and analysis of simple vapour compression
Refrigeration cycle, Actual Refrigeration cycles, Vapour Absorption Refrigeration cycle.
10. Use of psychometric charts & processes for air conditioning
- Engineering Thermodynamics - P.K Chattopadyay, OUP
- Fundamentals of Thermodynamics - 6e by Sonntag, Borgnakke & Van Wylen, John Wiley.
- Engineering Thermodynamics-4e by P.K .Nag, TMH
- Thermodynamics- an Engineering approach - 6e, Cengel & Boles,TMH
- Engineering Thermodynamics- M. Achyuthan, PHI