WEST BENGAL CIVIL SERVICE
Time Allowed—3’ Hours Full marks—100
Answer any three questions.
1. What role does conflict play in society ? What are the factors that precipitate social conflict ?
2. Briefly discuss Comte’s view of social evolution.
3. What is meant by social control ? What arc the main instruments of social control ?
4. What is a group ? Distinguish between an in-group and an out-group.
5. Examine the advantages and limitations of observation as a method of social enquiry.
Answer any two questions.
6. How does Max Waber view the role of the bureaucracy in the political system ? Do you agree with him ?
7. Is the scientific attitude to nature and society compatible with the religious attitude to them ? If not, which of the two attitudes is more conductive to human progress ?
8. Discuss, in brief, the relation between sociological theory and empirical research.