WBCS EXAMINATION - 2010
POLITICAL SCIENCE PAPER - I
Time Allowed : 3 Hours Full Marks .100
if the questions attempted are in excess of the prescribed number, only the questions attempted first up to the prescribed number shall be valued and the remaining ones ignored.
Answers may be written either in English or in Bengali but all answers must be in one and the same language.
Answer Question No.l and any two from the rest.
1. Examine Ambedkar’s ideas regarding empowerment of the Depressed Classes. 20
2. Elucidate Lenin’s contributions to Marxist thought. 15
3. Attempt a critique of the Austinian concept of sovereignty from a pluralist perspective. 15
4. Discuss the importance of political accountability in a democracy and identify the mechanisms for ensuring it. 5+10
5. Identify the main points of strength and weakness of coalition governments. What, in your opinion, is the most important factor for ensuring the stability of such governments ? 10+5
Answer Question No.6 and any two from the rest.
6. What, do you think, have been the main irritants in centre-State relations in India as evident over the years. 20
7. Examine the role played by the President in the Parliamentary System of India. 15
8. Analyse the contributions of the 73rd Constitution Amendment towards widening of the democratic basis of rural local self government. 15
9. Do you think the role of the bureaucracy has changed in independent India from what it was in the pre-independence days ? 15
10. Identify two major challenges faced by Indian democracy. How, do you think, should they be tackled ? 5+10