WEST BENGAL CIVIL SERVICE
EXAMINATION - 2002
Time Allowed-3 Hours Full Marks-100
All questions carry equal marks
Group - A
Answer any three questions
1. What are the biological features that enabled man to produce tool ? Correlate the development of biology with the advancement of culture.
2. What are the different methods of studying heredity ? Discuss their merits and limitations.
3. Describe the stratigraphic evidences on the basis of which pleistocene environment is reconstructed in the temperate regions.
4. What are the salient features of mesolithic culture ? Mesolithic reflects more an economy than the technology. Discuss.
5. Write short notes on any two of the following ;
(a) Recent theories of human origin
(b) Anthropoid Apes
(c) Neolithic revolution
(d) Genetic counselling
(e) Birth rate and death rate
Group - B
Answer any two questions.
6. Briefly discuss the Concept of socia stratification. Do you think that caste should be studied as an element of Indian civilization or as an aspect of social stratification ? Explain.
7. The spatial distribution of houses in a village often reflects the social cleavages in a society. Explain with examples. Also discuss how house type and settlement pattern may be influenced by environment.
8. Write short notes on any two of the following :
(a) Participant observation method its advantageous and Limitations
(b) Culture and language
(c) Varna and Jail
(d) Acculturation and socialization
(e) Role of culture in personality formation.