MCQ on Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal for WBCS/SSC/Misc Competitive Exam/etc - II1. 'Tarai' region of West Bengal is roughly :
(a) High land (b) Low land (c) Plain land (d) Alluvial land
2. Which city is known as the 'Door towards Bhutan' :
(a) Siliguri (b) Jalpaiguri (c) Darjeeling (d) None of these
3. Which one of the following National Highway has crossed Farakka Barrage ?
(a) NH 31 (b) NH 32 (c) NH 33 (d) NH 344. Which one of the following district has got Head Quarter in the name of the District ?
(a) Nadia (b) Birbhum (c) Hooghly (d) Bankura
5. Which one is not in the Northern side of West Bengal State ?
(a) Jaldhaka (b) Kaljani (c) Mahananda (d) Mayurakshi
6. Which one is of highest length :
(a) Teesta (b) Mahananda (c) Jaldhaka (d) Kansabati7. Which one is not a Tidal river ?
(a) Icchamati (b) Vidyadhari (c) Kalindi (d) Jalangi
8. Tropic of cancer has not passed through any area of :
(a) Purulia (b) Nadia (c) Burdwan (d) Birbhum
9. The density of population per sq. km in Kolkata as per 2001 census is around :
(a) 25 thousund (b) 20 thousand (c) 15 thousand (d) 10 thousand
10. Literacy rate in West Bengal on the basis of 2001 census report is around :
(a) 65% (b) 67% (c) 69% (d) 71%
11. Region named 'Diara' is associated with the district of :
(a) Coochbehar (b) Murshidabad (c) Maldaha (d) None of these
12. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Burdwan : Coal (b) Purulia : Lime stone (c) Birbhum : China clay (d) Bankura : Manganese13. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Burnpur: Iron & Steel (b) Rupnarayanpur : Electric/Telephone wire
(c) Chittaranjan : Rail Engine (d) Anupnagar : Eletronics goods
14. Which one is the most important river of the 'Rarr' region of West Bengal ?
(a) Damodar (b) Ajay (c) Mayurakshi (d) None
15. The Head Quarter of the 'Tiger Project' of Sundarban region is located at :
(a) Canning (b) Fresherganj (c) Gosaba (d) Basanti
16. In which item West Bengal is not the biggest producer among the States of India :
(a) Rice (b) Jute (c) Tea (d) fish17. Among the States of India the position of West Bengal in silk production :
(a) 1st (b) 2nd (c) 3rd (d) None of these
18. In which year the Metro Rail system of Kolkata was started to run :(a) 1993 (b) 1994 (c) 1995 (d) 1996
19. In which district of West Bengal there is a Central University ?
(a) Kolkata (b) Birbhum (c) Midnapur (d) None of these
20. Around what percent of total rice is produced in West Bengal
(a) 10% (b) 12% (c) 15% (d) 18%
21. Which one is not the name of a Division of West Bengal ?
(a) Presidency (b) Burdwan (c) Maldaha (d) Jalpaiguri
22. On the basis of recommendation of the State Reorganisation Commission ol India a part of Purnea district of Bihar was added to the district of :
(a) Maldaha (b) Birbhum (c) Purulia (d) North Dinajpur
23. A part of Manbhum district was added to the district of :
(a) Purulia (b) Birbhum (c) Midnapore (d) None of these
24. For which fruit 'Diara' region of West Bengal is famous ?
(a) Banana (b) Pine apple (c) Mango (d) None of these
25. Which one is not an example of Torrential (fed by rain water) river ?
(a) Teesta (b) Subarnarekha (c) Vidyadhari (d) Matla
26. At present West Bengal has net sown area of around (in Lakh hectares) :
(a) 45 (b) 50 (c) 60 (d) 65
27. The most important cash crop of West Bengal is :
(a) jute (b) Tea (c) Tobacco (d) None of these
28. West Bengal district having highest production of Tobacco is
(a) Bardwan (b) Maldaha (c) Murshidabad (d) Coochbehar
29. Which one has not been correctly matched ?
(a) Jhalda of Purulia : Lime stone (b) Tamakhan of Bankura : Iron
(c) Buxaduar of Jalpaiguri : Dolomite (d) Belpahari of Midnapore : Manganese30. Mohammed bazar of Birbhum is famous for :
(a) China clay (b) Lime stone (c) Dolomite (d) None of these
31. 'Canada Dam' is associated with the project named :
(a) Damodar (b) Kansabati (c) Mayurakshi (d) Jaldhaka
32. Total length of Metro Rail system of Kolkata is around :
(a) 14 kms (b) 16 kms (c) 18 kms (d) 20 kms
33. Total number of Railway station in the Metro Railway system of Kolkata is :
(a) 15 (b) 17 (c) 19 (d) 21
34. The length of Farakka barrage is :
(a) 1860 metre (b) 2035 metre (c) 2240 metre (d) 2410 metre
35. With which National High way the Grand Trunk Road is associated ?
(a) NH 2 (b) NH 5 (c) NH 6 (d) None of these
36. The height of 'Biharinath Hill' of Bribhum district is around :
(a) 450 metre (b) 440 metre (c) 420 metre (d) 380 metre
37. 'Tilpara' irrigation canal is in :
(a) Bardwan (b) Birbhum (c) Purulia (d) None of these
38. The irrigation canal of Damodar Vally Corporation (DVC) is in :
(a) Maldaha (b) Murshidabad (c) Burdwan (d) None of these
39. With which River Valley project Massanjore Dam is associated :
(a) Damodar (b) Mayurakshi (c) Farrakka (d) None of these
40. Average temperature required for proper production of jute is around (in Celsius) :
(a) 20° (b) 25° (c) 30° (d) 35°
41. Highest rice producing district of West Bengal is :
(a) Murshidabad (b) Maldaha (c) Burdwan (d) None of these
42. First Jute mill of India was set up in 1859 in :
(a) Naihati (b) Serampore (c) Kulti (d) Rishra
43. The Steel mill of Durgapur was set up in collaboration with :
(a) Russia (b) Germany (c) Britain (d) France
44. In West Bengal mining instruments are manufactured in :
(a) Asansol (b) Durgapur (c) Howrah (d) None of these
45. Among the Indian States the position of West Bengal in population is
(a) 4th (b) 5th (c) 6th (d) 7th
46. On the basis of 2001 census report population of Greater Kolkata is around :
(a) 122 lakh (b) 128 lakh (c) 132 lakh (d) 136 lakh
47. Around how many Jute mills are there in the Hooghly industrial area :
(a) 40 (b) 60 (c) 80 (d) 100
48. In Hooghly industrial area Heavy chemical factories are dominant at :
(a) Konnagar (b) Kamarhati (c) Rishra (d) Naihati
49. Which one of the following towns is closest to Bangladesh border ?
(a) Krishnanagar (b) Maldaha (c) Raiganj (d) Balurghat
50. Which one is the smallest district of West Bengal in area ?
(a) Hooghly (b) Howrah (c) South Dinajpur (d) None of these
51. The second largest city of West Bengal in population is :
(a) Durgapur (b) Maldaha (c) Howrah (d) None of these
52. Which one National Highway destination has not been correctly matched from Vehicle starting from Kolkata :
(a) NH 2 : Delhi (b) NH 5 : Chennai (c) NH 6 : Mumbai (d) NH 7 : Patna
53. 'Rammam' Hydro-electric project is associated with :
(a) Darjeeling (b) Jalpaiguri (c) Purulia (d) Bankura
54. Which type of soil is most suitable for tea production ?
(a) Podsol (b) Laterite (c) Alluvial (d) None of these
55. Most important river of plain region of the Northern part of West Bengal is :
(a) Subarnarekha (b) Mahananda (c) Torsa (d) None
56. 'Atrai' is a Tributary of river :
(a) Ganga (b) Bhagirathi (c) Padma (d) Jamuna
57. Total area of the Sundarban region is around :
(a) 7000 sq.km. (b) 9000 sq.km. (c) 110000 sq.km. (d) 13000 sq. km
58. Which one of the following rivers has entered into Orissa from West Bengal :
(a) Rupnarayan (b) Subarnarekha (c) Dwarakeshwar (d) None
59. The average yearly rainfall for total area of West Bengal is around :
(a) 125 cm. (b) 150 cm. (c) 175 cm. (d) 200 cm.
60. District having lowest rainfall in West Bengal is :
(a) Purulia (b) Bankura (c) Birbhum (d) None of these
61. Average rainfall in 'Buxduars' of Jalpaiguri, per annum is around :
(a) 350 cm. (b) 400 cm. (c) 450 cm. (d) 500 cm.
62. During winter season air blows over West Bengal from :
(a) North (b) North-east (c) North-west (d) South-west
63. Of the 4 official seasons of West Bengal the Summer period is :
(a) February - April (b) March - May (c) April - June (d) Noiu
64. 'Tin Bigha' area leased to Bengladesh for use is associated with :
(a) Nadia (b) South Dinajpur (c) Murshidabad (d) Coochbehar
65. In West Bengal 'Water melon' is mainly produced in :
(a) Burdwan (b) Coochbehar (c) South 24 Parganas (d) Purulia
66. On which river the Maithon Barrage has been constructed ?
(a) Barakar (b) Konar (c) Ajay (d) None of these
67. Yealy rice production in West Bengal is found to remain around (in million tons) :
(a) 11 (b) 13 (c) 15 (d) 17
68. Total wheat production in West Bengal per year is around (in million tons) :
(a) 1 ton (b) 2 tons (c) 3 tons (d) 4 tons
69. Jute Agricultural Research Institute is located at :
(a) Barasat (b) Javadpur (c) Barrackpore (d) Alipore
70. Sidrapong of Darjeeling had India's first :
(a) Ply wood factory (b) Hydro power station (c) Saw Mill (d) None of these
71. Which one of the following district of West Bengal has got muslim people in majority :
(a) Maldaha (b) Nadia (c) Murshidabad (d) North Dinajpur