West Bengal Excise Service
Functions of Excise Department
- Enforcement of regulations relating to the manufacture, production, possession, supply, distribution, transport, selling and buying of liquor and other intoxicants.
- Control of Excise related crimes through detection, prevention, investigation and prosecution of offences under the law.
- Prevention of illicit trafficking of intoxicants under the Bengal Excise Act, 1909 and drugs under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
- Detection and prevention of manufacture, distribution and sale of illicitly distilled, contraband, spurious or non-duty paid liquor.
- Collection of duties of Excise and countervailing duty on alcoholic liquor for human consumption.
- Collection of other Excise Revenues like license fee, export fee, import fee, auction fees on Tari and Pachwai, fines etc.
- Enforcement of regulations relating to the manufacture, supply and distribution of non-potable alcohol for industrial, medicinal and toilet purposes.
Staff Pattern - Sanctioned and Actual Strengths
|Sanctioned Strength||Current Strength|
|West Bengal Higher Excise Service||16||16|
|West Bengal Excise Service||234||209|
|Sub-Inspector of Excise||361||270|
|Assistant Sub-Inspector of Excise||362||315|
Source of information:
Official Website: http://www.wbexcise.gov.in