জীবিকা যখন পশুচিকিৎসা : একটি পশুচিকিত্সক কুকুর, বিড়াল বড় গবাদি পশু, ঘোড়া, ভেড়া এবং শূকর খামারের মত পশু এবং পাখিদের মত গার্হস্থ্য পোষা প্রাণী চিকিৎসা প্রদান করেন. ব্যক্তিগত প্র্যাকটিসের জন্য শহরে হয়েছে vets। সমৃদ্ধিশালী ব্যক্তিরা বাড়ীতে পোষা প্রাণীর স্বাস্থ্য ও রোগ নিরাময়ের জন্য Vets যান.
A vet typically diagnoses disease and administers medicine to ailing animals. Timely vaccination and giving advice on the health and diet and conducting scientific breeding are some other duties of a veterinarian.
There are 9 veterinary universities, and 51 veterinary colleges imparting veterinary education in India. Out of these colleges 24 colleges are constituents of the 9 State Veterinary Universities, 17 are part of State Agriculture Universities (SAU’s), one is affiliated to Academic University (Pudicherry) and one is under Central Agriculture University. A total of eight private colleges affiliated to veterinary universities are there, six in Rajasthan and one in Punjab and one in UP.
To practice as a vet, one must have a Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Science/Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc/B.VSc & AH).
On completion of Bachelor’s degree, one could pursue the Masters Degree Programmes in Veterinary Science (MVSc). In the Master’s programme one could specialise in areas like Poultry Science, Dairy Production, Dairy Technology, Dairy Science, Animal Nutrition, Pathology, Parasitology, Surgery, Animal Reproduction, Genetics, Feed & Fodder Technology.
Other options for graduates in veterinary science are master’s programme in biotechnology; bioinformatics; business administration, agri-business management, MS (Pharm) and M.Sc.-Ph.D. in biomedical sciences.
Eligibility and Duration
For B.V.Sc/B.VSc & AH, the eligibility criteria is 10+2/ equivalent from a recognized Board with physics, chemistry and biology. The duration is Five years including six month internship.
Admission procedure varies from one university to another. An all-India level entrance examination is conducted by Veterinary Council of India, New Delhi. The successful candidates fill up 15 per cent of the total seats in State Agricultural Universities and Central Agricultural University and 100 per cent of seats in NDRI, Karnal (Haryana).
All India Pre-Veterinary Test (AIPVT)
The Veterinary Council of India is a statutory body which conducts the All India Pre- Veterinary Test for filling up 15% of the total number of seats in certain Veterinary Colleges.
Age: 17 years
Essential Qualification OR Minimum marks:
He/She has passed: The Higher Secondary Examination or the Indian School Certificate Examination equivalent to 10+2 Higher/Senior Secondary Examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and any other elective subject with English.
Further, he/she should have obtained a minimum of 50% marks for General Category in aggregate in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English at 10+2 /Intermediate Science Examination.
For the candidates belonging to the Scheduled Caste/the Scheduled Tribes or other special categoryjOther Backward Classes), marks required for admission shall be 10% less than that prescribed for General Category.
Veterinary and Animal Science Universities
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Science University (TANUVAS)
West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences (WBUAFSc)
68, KB Sarani, Kolkata, -700037,
Maharashtra Animal Sciences And Fishery University (MAFSU)
U.P.Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Veterinary University And Cattle Research Institute (UPDDUVU& CRI)
Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SWU)
Regional Library Building
Karnataka Veterinary Animal And Fishery Science University (KVAFSU)
Guru Angad Dev Veterinary And Animal Science University (GADVASU)
Ph: 0161-2553442, 2553443
Madhya Pradesh Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidhyalaya,
Ph : 0761-2621302
Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences,
List of Institutions
- Apollo College of Veterinary Medicine, Agra Road, Jaipur
- Arawali Veterinary College, Bajore Village, Jaipur Road, Sikar
- B.S. College of Veterinary Medicine & Research Center, Goriwara Kalan, Mukundgarh, Jhunjhunu
- Bihar Veterinary College (RAU-P), Patna
- Bombay Veterinary College (MASFUL) Parel, Mumbi
- College of Veterinary & Animal Husbandry (MASFU), Krishnagar, Parbhani
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (MASFU), Udgir, Latur
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (KAU) Pookhote, Wayanand distt Thrissur
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (KAU), Mannuthy, Thrissur
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (RUVAS), Bikaner
- College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (WBUAFS), 37 Khudiram Bose Sarani, Belgachia, Kolkata
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Navania, Vallabhnagar, Udaipur
- College of Veterinary Science , Gannavaram
- College of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (IGKW), Anjora Durg
- College of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (SDAU), SardarKp-shi Nagar
- College of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry, (JNKW) Rewa
- College of Veterinary Science (AAU) Khanapara, Guwahati
- College of Veterinary Science (GADVASU) Ludhiana
- College of Veterinary Science , Rajendra Nagar, Hyderabad
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (AAU) Anand
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (CSKHPKV) Palampur
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Junagarh
- College of Veterinary Science, Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh
- College of Veterinary Science, Korutla, Karimnagar Dist.
- College of Veterinary Science, Proddatur, Kadapa Dist,
- College of veterinary science, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
- College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (JNKW) Krishi Nagar, Adhartal, Jabalpur
- College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (JNKW), Mhow
- College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (NDUAT), Narendra Nagar, Kumar Ganj, Faizabad
- College of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (OUAT), Bhubaneshwar
- College of Veterinary Sciences (CCSHAU) Hisar
- College of Veterinary Sciences (GBPUAT), Pantnagar
- College of Veterinary Sciences (KVAFSU) Hebbal, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- College of Veterinary Sciences, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (SKUAST-J) K) Sri Nagar.
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry (SKUAST-J) RS Pura, Jammu
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry (SKUAST-K) Sri Nagar.
- KN PCollege of Veterinary Science (MASFU), Shirval, Satara
- Khalsa College of Veterinary & Animal Science, Chherhatta Road, Amritsar
- Lakhimpur College of Veterinary Science (AAU Azad Lakhimpur
- Madras Veterinary College (TANUVAS), Vepery High Road, Chennai
- Mahatma Gandhi Veterinary College-NH-11, Agra Road Bharatpur
- Mahatma Jyoti Fule College of Vetry & Animal Science, Ringus Road, Chomu. Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Nagpur Veterinary College (MASFU), Seminary Hills, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Kurumbapet, Puducherry
- Ranchi Veterinary College (BAU), Ranchi,
- SM College of Veterinary Science & Animal research, Palidungra, Sonkh Road, Mathura
- Sri Ganganagar Veterinary College, Hanumangarh Road, Sri Ganganagar
- Veterinary College (KVAFSU) Nandi Nagar Bidar
- Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal, Tamil Nadu
- Veterinary College, Hassan, Karnataka
- Veterinary College, Navasari
- Veterinary College, Shimoga
Public and Private Sectors: Expert Vets can enter State and Central government departments related to animal husbandry. They can also find employment in veterinary hospitals, and clinics, veterinary colleges, dairy farms, poultry farms, zoological gardens, wildlife parks, research facilities, etc. The private sector in the field of nutrition, pharmaceuticals, milk/meat processing centers, diagnostics and for vaccine production have also been looking for professional vets.
Private Practice: The changing trend of rearing the costly and purebreed dogs/cats makes this profession highly paid, particularly for small animal practitioners. Many new dog clinics with latest facilities, dog training centers, dog beauty parlour/ saloon are opening every day in the metro cities to cope with the rising demand.
Teaching and Research: Meritorious postgraduates in veterinary science can also opt for teaching or research work. There is much scope for availing research fellowships at the postgraduate and post-doctoral level abroad, including the U.S., Canada and Australia.