Forestry : In the context of global warming, Indian government, NGOs and companies have been focusing on increasing the forest cover. The overall objective is to raise awareness and strengthen the sustainable management, conservation and sustainable development of all type of forests for the benefit of current and future generations. The Central Government has approved National Mission for Green India which is one of eight missions under India's National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC). The Mission aims to increase the quantity and quality of 10 million ha. of forest area, achieving an annual C02 sequestration of 50 to 60 million tonnes by 2020.
To achieve these goals, the government and private sector need to employ a large number of forest officials.
The starting point for a career in forestry is at the degree level. Many institutes offer 4-year B.Sc Forestry course. Further, the Masters level offers specialisation in subjects like Forest Management, Commercial Forestry, Forest Economics, Wood Science and Technology, Wildlife Science etc. Forestry Management is taught at the Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM), Bhopal. Those who wish to do Ph.D in Forestry can do so at the recognised centres.
For B Sc Forestry, it is +2/equivalent with physics, chemistry and biology.
Admission is on the basis of performance in the qualifying examination.
Forest professionals work in the government as forest conservators involved in management and maintenance of forest reserves. In companies, they work as industrial and agricultural consultants in various industries that utilise forest resources. Prevention of forest fires, wasteland development, social forestry, eco-tourism etc are other career areas. Depending on their field of specialisation, foresters can work either in offices, laboratories or outdoors in the wild.
List of Institutes
- Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Bharthidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
- Birsa Agricultural University, Kanke, Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Chaudhary Charan Singh (CCS.) Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana
- College of Agriculture, Pantnagar, Udhamsingh Nagar Dist, Uttarakhand
- College of Agriculture, Hebbal, Mysore, Karnataka
- College of Agriculture and Regional Research Station, Dharwad, Karnataka
- College of Forestry, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- College of Forestry, KAU P.O, Thrissur , Vellanikkara, Thrissur Dist. Kerala
- College of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan, Himachal Pradesh
- College of Technology and Agricultural Engineering, Udaipur, Rajasthan
- Dolphin (P.G.) Institute of Bio-Medical and Natural Sciences, Manduwala, Chakrata Road, Dehradun
- Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth,
- Dapoli, Ratnagiri Dist., Maharashtra
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth, PO Krishinagar, Akola, Maharashtra
- Forest Research Institute, F. R. I University, P. 0. IPE, Kaulagarh Road , Dehradun
- Government Arts College, Stone Mouse Hill P.O , Udhagamandalam, The Nilgiris
- Guru Ghasidas University, Main Campus, P 0 Koni , Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh
- Indian Institute of Forest Management, P.O. Box -357, Nehru Nagar, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, College of Agriculture, Krishi Nagar, Agartala , Jabalpur,Madhya Pradesh
- Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara, Thrissur Dist., Kerala
- Manipur University, Imphal, Canchipur , Imphal, Manipur
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Technology, Bhubaneshwar, Khurda Dist., Orissa
- Punjab Agricultural University : College of Agriculture, Punjab Agricultural University , Ludhiana, Punjab
- Saurashtra University, Saurashtra University Campus, University Road , Rajkot, Gujarat
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture,
- Technology and Sciences, Post. Agriculture Institute, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Gandhi Krishi Vignan Kendra, Bellary Road, Bangalore, Karna-taka
- Wildlife Institute of India, Chandrabani, Dehra Dun (affiliated to Saurashtra University, Rajkot)