West Bengal Civil Service
English Paper -II
Time Allowed : 3 Hours Full Marks : 100
1. Write a critical commentary on any one of the following :
(a) The forum scene in Julius Caesar,
(b) The storm scene in King Lear,
(c) The Banquet scene in Macbeth,
(d) The opening scene of Antony and Cleopatra.
2. Attempt any one of the following:
(a) ‘Inner conflict is the special characteristic of Shakespeare’s- tragic heroes’.Discuss.
(b) Assess Shakespeare’s contribution to romantic comedy,
(c) What, according to you, constitutes the greatness of Shakespeare ?
3. Write an essay on any one of the following :
(a) Shakespeare as a dramatic poet,
(b) Hamartia in Shakespearean tragedy,
(c) The Soliloquies of Macbeth.
4. Answer any one of the following:
(a) Assess Wardsworth’s contribution to English poetry,
(b) Would you regard Shelley as a poet of .hope and aspiration ?
(c) Write a not on the clement or medievalism in Coleridge’s poetry.
5. Write an essay on any one of the following :
(a) The characteristics of Victorian poetry.
(b) Browning’s contribution to the dramatic monologue,
(c) The importance of T.S.Eliot.