WBCS Preliminary Examination Solved Question Paper 2012 (English Version)
1. ‘Aural’ means
(A) Relating to the ear (B) Relating to the eye (C) Relating to the air (D) Relating to the water
2. Tortuous means
(A) Torture (B) Turn (C) Full of twist and turns (D) Torturous
3. Fill in the blanks with the following pairs :
I am going to Chennai —— Monday —— tour.
(A) On, of (B) On, with (C) In, with (D) Of, on
4. Replace the underlined part of the sentence by any one of the four alternatives given below :
He Changed his job and was, out of frying pan to fire.
(A) Happy with the job (B) Misfit (C) In a condition from bad to worse (D) Lucky in the choice
5. He sympathised —— him in his bereavement.
(A) In (B) For (C) With (D) By
6. A manicurist take care of
(A) Foot (B) Ear (C) Nails (D) Mind
7. He succeeded by dint —— his hard labour.
(A) Of (B) By (C) For (D) Because
8. Hike in oil price may mar the future of the trade world.
(A) Harness (B) Help (C) Better (D) Worsen
9. A pugilist is a
(A) Boxer (B) Swimmer (C) Athelete (D) Weight- lifter
10. He tried by all means, by hook or by crook to win the case.
(A) By any means fair or foul (B) By money (C) By man power (D) By muscle power
11. She is proficient in music but weak
(A) In study (B) At lessons (C) With study (D) On study
12. A gourmet loves
(A) Fashion (B) Action (C) Food (D) Flims
13. ‘Cacography’ means
(A) Bad spelling (B) Good spelling (C) Incorrect spelling (D) None of the above
14. ‘Hold fire’ means
(A) To delay doing something (B) Catch fire (C) Prevent fire (D) Magnify
15. A ‘soliloquy’ means
(A) Speaking to others (B) Speaking to oneself
(C) Speaking in whispers (D) Speaking to a friend
16. To take up the gauntlet means
(A) To accept the challenge (B) To refuse (C) To appreciate (D) To move
17. Select the pair in the following options which is set in opposition
(A) Liquid - Solid (B) Enough - Adequate (C) Entice - Lure (D) Excess - Surplus
18. ‘Thespian art’ refers to
(A) The art of tragedy (B) The art of history (C) The art of story telling (D) Tribal art
Direction for Question Nos. 19 and 20
Fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition :
19. I have no desire —— fame
(A) Of (B) For (C) In (D) To
20. There is a exception —— every rule
(A) To (B) For (C) In (D) Up
21. The meat of deer is called
(A) Mutton (B) Venison (C) Spoor (D) Tendil
22. Regicide means
(A) Murder of a Father (B) Murder of a King (C) Murder of a Brother (D) Murder of a Sister
23. Lachrymose nature means-
(A) Lethargic (B) Prone to anger (C) Prone to tear (D) Energetic
24. A clever man sweeps his family scandals under the
(A) Ground (B) Floor (C) Carpet (D) Grave-stone
25. ‘Astronomy’ means study of the
(A) Moon (B) Star (C) Sky (D) Sun
26. Who was the Editor of ‘Hindu Patriot’ ?
(A) Harischandra Mukherjee (B) Krishna kumar Mitra (C) Bipin Chandra Pal (D) Shivnath Shastri
27. Annual population growth rate between 1991 and 2001 is :
(A) 3% (B) 1.93% (C) 4% (D) 2%
28. The ratio of the radii of two circle is 5 : 4. What is the ratio of their areas ?
(A) 5 : 4 (B) 25 : 16 (C) 6 : 7 (D) 9 : 13
29. A profit of 25% is made by selling an article for Rs. 30. If the article was sold for Rs 33.60, the profit would have been
(A) 30% (B) 35% (C) 40% (D) 45%
30. Who came to be known as the ‘Father of Indian National Congress’ ?
(A) W. C. Bannerjee (B) S.N. Banerjee (C) A.O Hume (D) Mahatma Gandhi
31. Adult Filaria worms live in human
(A) Blood (B) Lymphatics (C) Liver (D) Intestine
32. Literacy rate of West Bengal in 2001 Census is -
(A) 57% (B) 75% (C) 64.84% (D) 60.79%
33. Who was the President of the First session of the Indian National Congress ?
(A) Dadabhai Naoroji (B) W.C. Bonnerjee (C) Feroze Shah Mehta (D) S. N. Banerjee
34. Female literacy rate of West Bengal in 2001 Census is
(A) 64.5 (B) 53.67% (C) 43.8% (D) 50.5%
35. The disease caused due to lack of ADH
(A) Diabetes insipidus (B) Diabetes mellitus (C) Grave’s disease (D) Cushing’s disease
36. Who edited the journal ‘Bande Mataram’ in Paris ?
(A) Madame Cama (B) Shyamaji Krishnavarma (C) Lala Hardayal (D) Bhupen Datta
37. How many 9s are sandwiched between 6 and 7 in 696996676979669779667
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5
38. The animal group that is not found in marine water
(A) Mammals (B) Amphibia (C) Reptiles (D) Aves
39. According to 2001 Census lowest literacy rate in india is found in-
(A) Rajasthan (B) Jharkhand (C) Bihar (D) Madhya Pradesh
40. Who founded the Gadar Party in San Francisco in the USA ?
(A) Lala Harydayal (B) Ajit Singh (C) Lala Lajpat Rai (D) P. Mitra
41. Three times the first of three consecutive odd integers is 3 more than twice the third . What is the third integer ?
(A) 9 (B) 15 (C) 13 (D) 11
42. Normal human blood is
(A) Acidic (B) Alkaline (C) Neutral (D) Variable
43. Who was the last governor general of India ?
(A) Chakraborty Rajagopalachari (B) Lord Mountbatten
(C) Rajendra Prasad (D) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
44. Who made an attempt on the life of Lord Hardinge in 1912 ?
(A) Rashbihari Bose (B) Bhagat Singh (C) Khudiram Bose (D) Ajit Singh
45. In India the sex ratio according to 2001 census is :
(A) 933 females/1000 males (B) 927 females/1000 males
(C) 898 females/1000 males (D) 800 females/1000 males
46. If a four digit number a381 is divisible by 11, what is the value of a ?
(A) 5 (B) 6 (C) 7 (D) 8
47. The non-poisonous snake is :
(A) Viper (B) Krait (C) Python (D) Coral Snake
48. Who composed the Allahabad Prasasti of Sumudragupta ?
(A) Kalhana (B) Bilhana (C) Banabhatta (D) Harisena
49. The Act of 1919 is known as
(A) Rowlatt Act (B) Morley Minto Act (C) Mont Ford Act (D) Simon Act
50. East Kolkata Wetlands has been declared as a
(A) World Heritage site (B) Pansar site (C) Biodiversity site (D) None of the above
51. CTBT is a term associated with :
(A) Nuclear Weapon (B) Central taxes (C) International Terrorism (D) None of the above
52. A sum of money is kept in a bank account to Rs. 1240 in 4 years and Rs. 1600 in 10 years at simple interest. Find the sum :
(A) Rs. 1000 (B) Rs. 800 (C) Rs. 1050 (D) Rs. 1100
53. Which incident force Mahatma Gandhi to call for the suspension of the Non-Co-operation movement in 1922 ?
(A) Mob violence in Chauri chaura (B) Jalianwalabagh massacre
(C) Chittangong Armoury Raid (D) Foundation of the Swarajya Party
54. ‘Sundarban’ has been sited as a world heritage site due to its :
(A) Tiger reserves (B) Sundari Trees (C) Mangroove trees (D) Biodiversity
55. Which one of the following is a viral disease ?
(A) Trypanosomiasis (B) Giardiasis (C) Encephalitis (D) Oriental sore
56. Name the first Indian state which established ‘Lokayukta’:
(A) Maharastra (B) Andhra Pradesh (C) Bihar (D) Kerala
57. In which Congress session the demand for complete independence first made ?
(A)Nagpur (B) Amritasar (C) Lahore (D) Calcutta
58. The south eastern part of the Bengal delta is undergoing :
(A) Subsidence (B) Emergence (C) Progradation (D) None of the above
59. Which Indian State was hit with 5-3 magnitude tremor recently :
(A) Himachal Pradesh (B) Assam (C) Gujrat (D) Sikkim
60. A clock strikes once at 1 O’clock , twice at 2 O’clock ,….., twelve times at 12 O’clock . How many times will the bell be struck in course of 2 days ?
(A) 78 (B) 264 (C) 312 (D) 144
61. Who raised the slogan Long Live Revolution in the central Legislative Assembly, Delhi
(A) Bhagat Singh (B) Rashbihari Bose (C) M. N. Roy (D) Lala Lajpat Rai
62. The first remote sensing sattelite from India was :
(A) P6 (B) P4 (C) IRS 1A (D) CARTOSAT 1
63. In which South Indian city was the first Metro flagged, which is called “Namma Metro”
(A) Bangaluru (B) Hydrabad (C) Chennai (D) Thiruvananthapuram
64. The salary of Anup is 30% more than that of Buran. Find by what percentage is the salary of Barun less than that of Anup
(A) 26.12% (B) 21.23% (C) 23.07% (D) 27.03%
65. Who led the Muslim deputation at Simla in 1906 ?
(A) Salimullah (B) Aga Khan (C) Muhammad Ali (D) Saukat Ali
66. Global Positioning System (GPS) is used to measure
(A) Depth of water (B) Position of oceanic minerals
(C) Lattitudes and longitudes (D) Circumference of the globe
67. In which ancient text you will find the earliest reference to the Varna System ?
(A) Manu Samhita (B) Rigveda (C) Atharva Veda (D) Satapatha Brahmana
68. A captain and a vice-captain are to be chosen out of a team having 11 players. How many ways are there to do this ?
(A) 99 (B) 110 (C) 90 (D) 22
69. Arial photographs are studied wiih the help of :
(A) Microscope (B) Stereoscope (C) Parallax bar (D) Theodolite
70. Name of the workers organisation founded by Mahatma Gandhi :
(A) Indian National Trade Union Congress (B) Majoor Mahajan
(C) All India Trade Union Congress (D) Workers’ Welfare League
71. Who was awarded the Dadasaheb Falke Award for the year 2010 :
(A) Mani Ratnam (B) Yash Chopra (C) Rituparna Ghosh (D) K. Balchandar
72. Define the following function : f(x, y) = (x+y) ÷ 2, g(x, y) = x2 - y2 and h(x, y) = (x - y) ÷ 2, Which of the followings has a value 0.25 for x = 0 and y = 0.5 ?
(A) f(x,y) g(x,y) (B) g(x,y) (C) f(x,y) (D) f(x,y) + g(x,y)
73. The Damoder Valley Multipurpose Project was designed after :
(A) Tennessee Valley Project of U.S.A. (B) Leena Project of U.S.S.R.
(C) Amazon River Valley Project (D) Hwang Ho River Valley Project of China
74. Durand Cup in 2011 was won by -
(A) Pune (B) Churchill Brothers (C) Shillong Lajong (D) Air India
75. A can do a piece of wark in 10 days and B can do the same work in 20 days . With the help of C , they finish the work in 5 days . How many days will it take for C
alone to finish the worrk ?
(A) 10 days (B) 15 days (C) 20 days (D) 5 days
76. Mark the correct date and the year in which Indian Constitution came into being :
(A) 15th August, 1947 (B) 24th July, 1948 (C) 20th January, 1951 (D) 26th January, 1950
77. The material extracted from bauxite is—
(A) Aluminium (B) Alumunia (C) Biotite mica (D) Chalcopyrite
78. Who is the head of National Advisory Council ?
(A) Dr. Manmohan Singh (B) Sonia Gandhi (C) Pranab Mukherjee (D) P. Chidambaram
79. Name the outstanding Dalit leader of India who had renounced Hinduism and embraced Buddhism at a later stage of his life :
(A) Jagjivan Ram (B) Bhola Paswan (C) B. R. Ambedkar (D) None of the above
80. A Number x lies between 0 and 1. Which of the following is true ?
(A) (B) (C) (D)
81. The Indian Goverment is refusing to give cleareance to POSCO’s proposal of constructing :
(A) Iron and steel Plant (B) Aluminium Plant (C) Copper Plant (D) Petrochemical Plant
82. Mark correctly the precise meaning of the term ‘Habeas Corpus’ :
(A) To put the body behind the prison bar (B) To have the body
(C) To remove the body (D) None of the above
83. National Integration Day is celebrated on :
(A) 30th October (B) 19th November (C) 25th September (D) 29th September
84. Who among the Gupta rulers was known as ‘Lichchavidauhitra’ ?
(A) Samudragupta (B) Chandragupta II (C) Kumargupta (D) Skandagupta
85. The verdict of the Supreme Court in which of the following cases has made the imposition of the President’s rule in any state under article 356 of constitution difficult ?
(A) A.K Gopalan vs. Union of India
(B) S.R Bommai vs. Union of India (regarding the state of Karnataka)
(C) Kaveri water dispute case between two Sourthern States
(D) None of the above
86. The incomes of A and B are in ratio of 3 : 2 and their expenditure are in a ratio 5 : 3, If each saves Rs. 1000, then B’s income is :
(A) Rs. 3000 (B) Rs. 4000 (C) Rs. 600 (D) Rs. 800
87. The speed of three cars are in ratio of 2 : 3 : 4. The ratio between the times taken by these cars to travel the same distance is :
(A) 2 : 3 : 4 (B) 4 : 3 : 6 (C) 3 : 4 : 6 (D) 6 : 4 : 3
88. Choose the correct name of the Union Home Minister who had introduced Indian Administrative Service in 1948 :
(A) Sardar Ballavbhai Patel (B) Gobinda Ballav Pant (C) S. B. Chavan (D) Krishna Menon
89. When was Ganga Water Treaty was signed between India and Bangladesh ?
(A) 1994 (B) 1995 (C) 1996 (D) 1997
90. A man walks 10 metres in front and 10 metres to the right. Then every time turning to his left, he walks 5, 15 and 15 metres respectively. How far is he now from his
starting point ?
(A) 10 metres (B) 5 metres (C) 15 metres (D) 20 metres
91. Mention the year in which Indo-Soviet Friendship Treaty was signed :
(A) 1956 (B) 1980 (C) 1975 (D) 1971
92. After drawing the salary, a man deposit 10% of the sum in a bank and then paid 4% of the remainder as house rent. If he draws Rs. 5000, the sum he paid as house
rent is :
(A) Rs. 160 (B) Rs. 250 (C) Rs. 180 (D) Rs. 225
93. Who was the Kaivartta chief who rebelled against the Pala ruler Mahipala II of Bengal ?
(A) Dhekata (B) Gandhata (C) Divya (D) Mayuraddhwaja
94. Name the author of the book “India Wins Freedom”:
(A) Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad (B) Sardar Ballabhai Patel
(C) Gobind Ballav Pant (D) None of the above
95. There are 100 question in the question paper each carrying 2 marks. But there is a negative marking; 1 mark is deducted from each question answered incorrectly. A student answering all the questions got 80 marks. The number of questions correctly answerd by him is :
(A) 70 (B) 60 (C) 80 (D) 75
96. Which country became the 1st State to recognise the National Libiyan Council as the country’s legitimate government ?
(A) Canada (B) France (C) U.S.A. (D) Italy
97. The constitution of which of the following countries convention play a prominent role ?
(A) U.S. Constitution (B) French Constitution (C) Indian Constitution (D) British Constitution
98. In a certain code KOLKATA is coded as 11151211012001. How BENGAL is coded ?
(A) 020514070112 (B) 023014210311 (C) 031721250710 (D) None of the above
99. If 3 mangoes are sold for cost price of Rs. 4, the profit is :
(A) % (B) % (C) % (D) %
100. What is the proper connotation of the term ‘secularism’:
(A) The State is the patron of all religion
(B) In the affairs of Governance and formulation of State Policies the State is not guided by religious consideration
(C) The State should promote dominant religion
(D) None of the above
101. Who was the founder of Anusilan Samiti ?
(A) Aurobindo Ghosh (B) Barin Ghosh (C) Barrister Pramatha Nath Mitra (D) Chittaranjan Das
102. 6 boys are so standing that they form a circle, each facing the centre. Alok is to the left of Probhat, Sunil is between Ashok and Bikash. Hari is between Alok and Ashok. Who is left of Hari ?
(A) Alok (B) Ashok (C) Sunil (D) Probhat
103. Which incident in colonial history of India marks the first war of independence ?
(A) The peasant uprising at Chauri chaura (B) The Naval Mutiny of 1946
(C) Chittagong Armoury Raid (D) Sepoy Mutiny in 1857
104. Ther next term in the sequence 4, 10, 22, 46, … is
(A) 66 (B) 76 (C) 56 (D) 94
105. Angela Markel is the chancellor of which State ?
(A) Italy (B) France (C) Germany (D) Norway
106. Where the Azad Hind Fauj was first established ?
(A) Tokyo (B) Rangoon (C) Singapore (D) Bangkok
107. An object moving with a constant speeed on a horizontal surface will not have :
(A) Velocity (B) Momentum (C) Kinetic energy (D) Acceleration
108. A high birth rate is associated with
(A) A female literacy rate (B) A low female literacy rate
(C) A high male literacy rate (D) None of the above
109. If CABLE is coded as XZYOV, a possible decode of YZXP is :
(A) BABY (B) BACK (C) CELL (D) BELL
110. Indigo revolt was regularly high lighted in :
(A) Hindoo Patriot (B) Times of India (C) Statesman (D) Englishman
111. Which of the following is not the unit of length ?
(A) Light year (B) Micron (C) AU (D) Radian
112. When did the Royal Indian Naval Mutiny take place ?
(A) December, 1944 AD (B) February, 1945 AD (C) February, 1946 AD (D) August, 1946 AD
113. Hindu Law of inheritance is responsible for :
(A) Low productivity of land (B) Non- application of Scientific mode of farming
(C) Non-availability of irrigatjonal facilities (D) Subdivision and fragmentation of land holdings
114. Who said “Swaraj is my birthright” ?
(A) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (B) Bipin Chandra Pal (C) Lala Lajpat Rai (D) Mahatma Gandhi
115. Which surface is good absorber of heat ?
(A) White rough surface (B) Black rough surface
(C) White smooth surface (D) Black smooth surface
116. Which province of Pakistan has decided to make Chinese language compulsory subject in school from 2013 ?
(A) Punjab (B) Baluchistan (C) North West Frontier Province (D) Sindh
117. Which group of society is worst affected by continuous inflationary price rice ?
(A) Traders and merchants (B) The investor class
(C) Self employed group (D) Fixed income group
118. The Khalimpur Copper Plate inform us about the military exploit of Pala ruler
(A) Devapala (B) Rampala (C) Dharampala (D) Mahipala I
119. Absolute Zero temparature is that tempararture where :
(A) Water freezes to ice (B) All molecules of water comes to rest
(C) All matter stays in the solid state
(D) Kinetic and potential energies of the molecules become equal to each other
120. Who was the leader of the Khuda-i-Khidmagar ?
(A) M.A Jinnah (B) Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan (C) A. K. Azad (D) Muhammad Ali
121. What is capital ?
(A) Money is capital (B) Machineries and building constitute capital
(C) Capital is produced by the means of production (D) None of the above
122. Who is current Secretary General of UNO ?
(A) Kofi Annan (B) Nelson Mandela (C) Ban-ki-Moon (D) Hardeep Singh
123. A clear piece of glass immersed in a glycerol cannot be seen separately because in comparision to the refractive index of glycerol , the refractive index of glass is :
(A) Greater (B) Lesser (C) Nearly equal (D) This does not depend on the refractive index
124. The Krisak Praja Party in West Bengal is established by :
(A) A.K Fazlul Huq (B) Muzaffar Ahmed (C) Abdul Halim (D) Humayun Kabir
125. Which of the following factor is the most important for future industrial development of India ?
(A) Maintenance of industrial peace
(B) Creation of adequate infrastructural facilities
(C) Huge investment is to be undertaken by the investor class
(D) None of the above.
126. Who was the author of the book ‘Tarikh-i-Firuz Shahi’ ?
(A) Abdul Fazl (B) Minhaj-us-Siraj (C) Ziauddin Barani (D) Al Biruni
127. India’s third research centre at Antarctika is named as :
(A) Hind (B) Akash (C) Bharati (D) Indraprastha
128. At which place did Mahatma Gandhi had the first experience of mass movement of India ?
(A) Bardoli (B) Dandi (C) Chaurichaura (D) Champaran
129. The New Economic Policy was introduced in India
(A) 1989 (B) 1995 (C) 1997 (D) 1991
130. Gold has extraordinarily high density than silver, the reason is :
(A) Higher mass number of gold (B) Higher atomic number of gold
(C) High screening effect (D) Lanthanide contraction
131. At which place did the Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee lay the foundation stone for a new Bank note paper mill some time back ?
(A) Surat (B) Mysore (C) Aurangabad (D) Guntur
132. One of the important Muslim leaders of the Swadeshi Movement was :
(A) Liakat Ali Khan (B) Liakat Hossain (C) Muhammad Ali (D) A.K. Azad
133. What is the correct figure of average expectation of life at birth at present in India ?
(A) 45 years (B) 60 years (C) 70 years (D) 65 years
134. Which of the following diagrams represent the set of Doctors, Readers and Cows ?
135. There are two married couples in the family of six per sons, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. W is the wife of V and the mother of Z. X is the grand mother of U and the mother of V. Z is the grand daughter of Y. How many male members are there in the family ?
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) Cannot be determined
136. Radha is younger to Sunita but elder than Rita. Rita is elder than Geeta. Sham is elder to Rita But younger to Radha . Who is the youngest of all ?
(A) Rita (B) Sunita (C) Sham (D) Geeta
137. Subhas Chandra Bose was elected congress President for the second time in :
(A) Haripura (B) Tripuri (C) Wardha (D) Patna
138. Name the state of India where male-female ratio is adversely tilted against the female
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) West Bengal (C) Punjab (D) Haryana
139. ‘The Shillong Declaration’ was in news recently on :
(A) Food Security Act (B) Right to Education Act
(C) Prevention of Corruption Act (D) Right to Information Act
140. Which institution is directly connected with the framing of Indian monetary policy ?
(A) The Reserve Bank of India (B) The State Bank of India
(C) Life Insurance Corporation of India (D) Industrial Development Bank of India
141. The Santhal Revolt took place in the year :
(A) 1855 (B) 1857 (C) 1859 (D) 1871
142. When a positively charged conductor is earthed, then -
(A) Electrons flow from conductor to earth (B) Protons flow from conductor to earth
(C) Electrons flow from earth to conductor (D) Protons flow from earth to conductor
143. Who was Todar Mal ?
(A) A Minister of Sher Shah (B) A revenue expert in Akbar’s court
(C) A Prince of Mawar (D) An officer in Jahangir’s army
144. Name the programe of the poverty alleviation launched by the Government of india which was immensely benefited the rural power :
(A) Jawhar Rojgar Yojna (B) Indira Gandhi Rural Housing Programme
(C) National Rural Employment Guarantee Programme (D) Food for work Programme
145. The secret opperation by US Navy in which the Osama-Bin-Laden was killed, was code named as -
(A) Jesmine (B) Rose (C) Geronimo (D) Cobra
146. The Arya Samaj was established by -
(A) Lala Lajpat Rai (B) Bal Gangadhar Tilak (C) Dyananda Saraswati (D) Aurobindo Ghosh
147. Who was the last ruler of Delhi Sultanate ?
(A) Alauddin Alam Shah (B) Ibrahim Lodi (C) Bahlul Lodi (D) Sikander Lodi
148. Point out the main objective of creating “SEZ” (Special Economic Zone) in India :
(A) Creating of special tax free growth points in the economy mainly to boost up exports
(B) Creation of strong industrial units which would provide employment facilities
(C) To give special preference to some industrial units
(D) None of the above
149. Which of the following waves is used for telecommunication ?
(A) Infra red rays (B) Ulta violet rays (C) Micro waves (D) X-rays
150. The Aligarh Movement was started by
(A) Syed Ahmed khan (B) M.A. Jinnah (C) A. K. Azad (D) Theodore Beck
151. ‘Tin Bigha Corridor’ links
(A) India and Pakistan (B) India and China (C) India and Bhutan (D) India and Bangladesh
152. Who was the Nasuruddin Chirag ?
(A) A Sultan of the Khilji dynasty (B) A Sufi Saint
(C) A minister of Giyasuddin Balban (D) Amilitary officer in Alauddin Khilji’s army
153. Which constitutional mechanism is adopted for the distribution of resources between the centre and the states ?
(A) The Union Finance Ministry. (B) The Planning Commission.
(C) Indian finance Commission set up at the interval of five years. (D) None of the above.
154. The Meerut Conspiracy case was started in :
(A) 1929 (B) 1934 (C) 1942 (D) 1931
155. Calculate the sheilding suffered by valence electron in fluorine
(A) 5.20 (B) 4.80 (C) 5.80 (D) 4.85
156. Which Indian Leader made a major contribution to the integration of the princely states within the Indian Union ?
(A) Acharya Kripalani (B) Govind Vallabh Pant (C) Sardar Vallabbhai Patel (D) Hare Krishna Mahatab
157. Ombudsman Institution was originated in
(A) Denmark (B) Switzerland (C) Sweden (D) France
158. What does the term ‘sovereign’ imply ?
(A) Free from external Control (B) Free from internal control
(C) Free from territorial disputes (D) Free from control by any international body
159. Name the international financial institution which controls the exchange value of currencies of different countries
(A) Federal Reserve system in USA (B) International Bank for reconstruction and development
(C) IMF ( International Monetary Fund ) (D) None of the above
160. Who was the Babar’s main adversary in the battle of Khanwa ?
(A) Mahmud lodi (B) Himu (C) Rana Sanga (D) None of them
161. The expression of average speed is gaseous molecule is :
(A) (B) (C) (D)
162. Name the International body which is the predecessors of UNO for maintenance of world peace :
(A) International Union of Nations (B) Union of Nation States
(C) League of Nations (D) None of the above
163. The Pir Panjal Range is located in the :
(A) Greater Himalya (B) Trans Himalayan Area (C) Lesser Himalaya (D) Siwaliks
164. Who among the following visited Jahangir’s Court ?
(A) Nicclo Conti (B) Francois Bernier (C) Sir Thomas Roe (D) Athanasius Nikitin
165. Where will 7th G-20 Summit be held ?
(A) France (B) Mexico (C) Russia (D) South Korea
166. River Narmada flows through a-
(A) Synclinal valley (B) U- shaped valley (C) Fault Trough (D) Delta
167. How many gms of dibasic acid (mol wt 200) should be present in 100 ml of its aqueous solution to give 0.1(N) strength ?
(A) 2 gm (B) 1gm (C) 10 gm (D) 20 gm
168. Who demacrated the boundaries between India and Pakistan as the Chairman of Boundary Commission ?
(A) V.P Menon (B) Sir Cyril Radecliffe (C) Stafford Crips (D) Lord Pethick-Lawrence
170. Which Mughal Emperor transferred the Mughal capital from Agra to Delhi ?
(A) Jahangir (B) Aurangzeb (C) Shah Jahan (D) Bahadur Shah
171. Which one of the following is a thermoplastic polymer ?
(A) Rubber (B) Nylon 6-6 (C) PVC (D) Bakelite
172. The Indus river rises near
(A) Sheshnag Lake (B) Bhimtal Lake (C) Lake Nassil (D) Mansarovar Lake
173. Where was the 17th SAARC Summit held ?
(A) Bhutan (B) Maldives (C) Nepal (D) India
174. Proteins are detected by
(A) Molish’s test (B) Biuret test (C) DNP test (D) Benedict’s test
175. The river ganga flows into the Bay of Bengal through
(A) A triangular delta (B) An estuary (C) ‘Birds foot’ delta (D) Fault line
176. Who was the Mughal Empepor during whose reign Nadir Shah invaded India ?
(A) Farrukhsiyar (B) Bahadur Shah (C) Muhummad Shah (D) Shah Alam
177. Who was the British Prime Minister when India recieved independence ?
(A) Ramsay Macdonald (B) Clement Atlee (C) Lloyd george (D) Winston Churchill
178. El Nino in the Pacific-
(A) Increases monsoon rainfall over India (B) Decreses monsoon rainfall over India
(C) Increases cyclones over Bay of Bengal (D) Decreses cyclones over Bay of Bengal
179. Xylem tissue is mainly concerned with the -
(A) Photosynthesis of plants (B) Transport of water and mineral nutrients in plants
(C) Storage of prepared food in plants (D) Transport of enzymes in plants
180. Who recently resigned from the Prime Ministership of Greece ?
(A) Lucas Papadons (B) George Pepandreons (C) Petsalnikos (D) Markel
181. In which year Permanent settlement introduced by the British in bengal -
(A) 1791 AD (B) 1792 AD (C) 1793 AD (D) 1794 AD
182. Lateritic soil of India are -
(A) Rich in iron (B) Rich in humus (C) Rich in basaltic lava (D) Rich in Uranium
183. The ‘Theory of Natural Selection’ was proposed by-
(A) J. B. S Haldane (B) G. J. Mendel (C) A. I. Oparin (D) C. R Darwin
184. Why is 1761 is important in Indian history ?
(A) The English Company became the Diwan of Bengal
(B) The Marathas were defeated in Third Battle of Panipath
(C) Occupation of Delhi by the English Company’s army
(D) Death of Haider Ali of Mysore
185. In which year did the Muslim League pass the Pakistan resolution ?
(A) 1916 AD (B) 1929 AD (C) 1940 AD (D) 1946 AD
186. The Black soil of Maharastra are called -
(A) Regolith (B) Khadar (C) Regur (D) Bhabar
187. Where will be the commonwealth Games 2018 be held ?
(A) Hambanota (Sri Lanka) (B) Gold Coast (Australia) (C) New Delhi (India) (D) St Kits
188. The presence of pnematophore (breathing root) is found in :
(A) Mangrove plants (B) Epiphytic plants (C) Hydrophytic plants (D) Insectivores plants
189. Who, among the early British rulers, introduced the system of Subsidiary Alliance ?
(A) Lord Weliesley (B) Warren Hastings (C) Lord Cornwallis (D) Sir John Shore
190. Neem is a -
(A) Tropical Wet Evergreen Tree (B) Tropical Moist Deciduous Tree
(C) Tropical Dry Deciduous Tree (D) Tropical Dry Evergreen Tree
191. With which country did Bangladesh sign a deal on 2nd November, 2011 to build its 1st Nuclear Power Plant ?
(A) China (B) Russia (C) India (D) France
192. The engyme ‘DNA gyrase’ is associated with the function of -
(A) Protein syntheses (B) DNA replication (C) Lipid biosynthesis (D) DNA damage
193. Who succeeded Murshid Quli Khan as the ruler of Bengal ?
(A) Sarfaraz Khan (B) Shaukat Jung (C) Alivardi Khan (D) Shajauddin
194. Sal is found in
(A) Hoogly distrlct of West Bengal (B) Howrah district of West Bengal
(C) Bankura district of West Bengal (D) Malda district of West Bengal
195. The plant body is not ‘differentiated into root, stem and leaves’ in
(A) Pteridophytes (B) Angiosperms (C) Gymnosperms (D) Algae
196. When did Lord Dalhousie annex Awadh ?
(A) 1848 AD (B) 1857 AD (C) 1853 AD (D) 1856 AD
197. Joint Forest Management was first successful in West Bengal in-
(A) Paljhari village of Mednipur district (B) Bhula village ol Bankura district
(C) Natunbandh village of Bankura district (D) Arabari village Mednipur district
198. 1st UN agency which was appointed Pallestine as a full member -
(A) WHO (B) UNESCO (C) UNDO (D) UPU
199. Who was the author of the book ’ Poverty and Un British Rule in India’ ?
(A) Surendra nath Bannerjee (B) Pherozah Mohta (C) Badruddin Tyabji (D) Dadabhai Naoroji
200. The total mass of all the organisms of a given type and/or in a given area is called
(A) Biome (B) Biomass (C) Biomarer (D) Biosensor