WBCS Preliminary Examination Solved Question Paper 2010 (English Version)
1. Choose the right alternative from the options given below :
A gourmet loves —— .
(A) Fashion (B) Action (C) Food (D) Films
Direction for Question Nos. 2 and 3
Fill in the blanks in the sentences choosing the most meaningful alternative from the ones supplied :
2. The —— of the place attracts many ascetics.
(A) Quietness (B) Silence (C) Quietude (D) Soundlessness
3. The street is not properly —— .
(A) Illumed (B) Illumined (C) Illuminated (D) Enlightened
4. Choose the right alternative from the options given:
A man with an irrationally fixed idea is called ——
(A) An eccentric (B) A maniac (C) A manikin (D) A phobic
Direction for Question Nos. 5 to 7
Fill in the blank with the correct alternative from the ones supplied:
5. A man in the charge of farming and nurturing animals is called —— .
(A) A ploughman (B) A farmer (C) A firm-manager (D) A husbands man
6. Lachrymose nature means —— .
(A) Lethargic (B) Prone to anger (C) Prone to tear (D) Energetic
7. The man who follows his nose actually follows his —— .
(A) Passion (B) Rationality (C) Instinct (D) Memory
8. Choose the correct alternative from the ones supplied:
Detect where the adjective “public” is used in a derogatory sense:
(A) Public house (B) Public woman (C) Public servant (D) Public speech
9. Choose the right word from the alternatives to complete the sentence idiomatically :
A clever man sweeps his family scandals under the —— .
(A) Ground (B) Floor (C) Carpet (D) Grave-stone
10. Fill in the blank with correct word to make the sentence meaningful :
It is usual nowadays to blow one’s own —— to impress others.
(A) Horn (B) Trumpet (C) Drum (D) Band
Direction for Question Nos. 11 and 12
Select the pair in the following option which is set in opposition :
11. (A) Doggish —— Canine (B) Manly —— Virile (C) Divine —— Infernal (D) Earthly ——Terrestrial
12. (A) Pedant —— Pedagogic (B) Humid —— Arid (C) Erroneous —— Faulty (D) Horrible —— Horrendous
Direction for Question Nos. 13 and 14
Choose the word from the list which is nearest in meaning to the underlined part of the sentence:
13. Hike in oil price may mar the future of the trade world.
(A) Harness (B) Help (C) Better (D) Worsen
14. The separation from a lover fills one’s mind with blues.
(A) Sadness (B) Romanticism (C) Nostalgia (D) Colourfulness
15. Choose the correct alternative from the options to fill in the blanks:
‘In the time of danger, we should try to take the bull by the horns’ means “In the time of danger we should try to —— “
(A) Surmount it (B) Face the situation boldly (C) Overcome it (D) Control ourselves
16. ‘We are superior to everybody else’ is the apt utterance of a/an
(A) egoist (B) pacifist (C) anarchist (D) chauvinist
17. ‘To give a dog a bad name’ means
(A) it is very difficult to destroy the reputation of a loyal person
(B) it is very difficult to lose a bad reputation
(C) it is very difficult to earn a good reputation in a bad company
(D) it is very difficult to both be loyal and do something that jeopardizes self-reputation
18. The prospect of her marriage is remote.
The opposite of ‘remote’ in this sentence, would be
(A) high (B) less (C) far (D) near
19. Fill in the blank with the right word:
A lame duck organization is one which needs —— .
(A) authority (B) staff (C) power (D) support
20. A manicurist takes care of
(A) foot (B) ear (C) nails (D) mind
21. A duck is a bird, but to duck is
(A) to feel shy (B) to refuse (C) to abandon (D) to avoid
22. Insert the appropriate phrasal verb in the blank below and make the sentence meaningful:
This evidence —— with what one already knows.
(A) ties in (B) sets in (C) gives in (D) goes down
23. The specialist who handles problems in the human body related to bones is a/an
(A) orthodontist (B) osteopath (C) podiatrist (D) oncologist
24. Baptism of fire means
(A) a fire fighting act (B) a bad beginning in the first job
(C) a difficult introduction to an experience (D) a religious experience
25. A pugilist is a
(A) boxer (B) swimmer (C) athlete (D) weight-lifter
26. The number of m's in the series a bbb ccccc ddddddd is
(A) 15 (B) 17 (C) 25 (D) 27
27. Suppose x * y = x + y, if x < y = x - y + 1, if x > y = 2x - 1, if x = y
Then 5 * (6 * 2) + (5 * 6) * 2 =
(A) 24 (B) 23 (C) 20 (D) 19
28. Rate of radiation of heat from a body is the highest if its surface is
(A) White (B) Smooth (C) Smooth but black (D) Rough but black
29. The gene for Haemophilia is
(A) X-linked recessive (B) X-linked dominant (C) Y-linked (D) Located in autosome
30. The narrow portion between uterus and vagina of higher mammals is known as
(A) Clitoris (B) Urethra (C) Oviduct (D) Cervix
31. The toxic chemical element that caused Minamata disease in Japan was
(A) Uranium (B) Mercury (C) Cadmium (D) Arsenic
32. The vegetative body of a dryophyte/moss represents the structure of
(A) Sporophyte (B) Gametophyte (C) Sporophyte or gametophyte (D) Sporophyte and gametophyte
33. Who among the following Sultans of Delhi wanted to become Second Alexander and conquer the world ?
(A) Alauddin Khilji (B) Ghiyasuddin Balban (C) Muhammad Bin Tugluq (D) None of them
34. Bidisha gets from her father Rs. 50 every 30th day of a month and Rs. 100 every 31st day. During 2008, she gets from her father a total of Rs.
(A) 900 (B) 950 (C) 1250 (D) 1300
35. Which one of the following pairs of days may appear 53 times each in a leap year while all other days will appear 52 times each ?
(A) Sunday and Friday (B) Wednesday and Thursday
(C) Monday and Wednesday (D) Tuesday and Saturday
36. Enzymes speed up biochemical reactions by
(A) Increasing the activation energy of the reaction
(B) Lowering the temperature of the reaction
(C) Increasing the temperature of the reaction
(D) Lowering the activation energy of the reaction
37. Cardiac muscles do not undergo fatigue, because
(A) Interconnection of cells by intercalated disc (B) Having numerous mitochondria
(C) Having more actins (D) Having more myosin
38. The minimum number of artificial satellites required for communication throughout the globe is
(A) 1 (B) 2 (C) 3 (D) 4
39. In photosynthesis, 'Light reaction' takes place in
(A) Cytosol (B) Grana of Chloroplast (C) Stroma of chloroplast (D) Ribosome
40. Chittaranjan in West Bengal is well known for its
(A) Fertiliser plant (B) Locomotive works (C) Iron and Steel industry (D) None of the above
41. Haversian system is a part of
(A) Kidney (B) Bone (C) Heart (D) Brain
42. Which of the following is a good nuclear fuel ?
(A) Uranium 238 (B) Plutonium 239 (C) Neptunium 239 (D) Thorium 236
43. Which of the following is not a physical change ?
(A) Dehydrating milk to get milk powder (B) Sublimation of iodine
(C) Dissolving sugar in tea (D) Burning of wax in a candle
44. The earthquake in Latur is believed to have resulted from
(A) Excessive loading of water (B) Plate movement (C) Fault line underneath a dam (D) Folding
45. Polytene chromosome is found in the cells of
(A) Salivary gland of larvae of flies (B) Liver of man (C) Neuron of insects (D) None of the above
46. Presence of sunken stomata in leaves indicates the character of
(A) Hydrophytes (B) Xerophytes (C) Halophytes (D) Mesophytes
47. Which Five Year Plan was suspended one year before its time schedule ?
(A) Third Plan (B) Fourth Plan (C) Fifth Plan (D) Sixth Plan
48. To which period of Indian history did Aryabhatta and Varahamihira (Scientist and Mathematician respectively) belong ?
(A) Maurya period (B) Gupta period (C) Pala period (D) Delhi Sultanate
49. What did Iqta mean during Sultanate period ?
(A) A form of Salutation (B) An important official
(C) The grant of land revenue from a village or territory (D) None of the above
50. Which one of the following companies has recently entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Uranium Corporation of India for exploration of uranium deposits ?
(A) ONGC (B) GAIL (C) Reliance Petroleum (D) Essar Oil
51. Which Carbodydrate is used commercially in the silvering of mirrors ?
(A) Sucrose (B) Fructose (C) Cellulose (D) Glucose
52. VAT is imposed on
(A) the final consumer of a commodity
(B) total value added at the final stage of production of a commodity
(C) the value added at each stage of production of a commodity
(D) aggregate value in terms of cost of production of the producer of a commodity
53. Which metal ion is responsible for electron transportation in photosynthesis ?
(A) Sodium (B) Potassium (C) Cobalt (D) Iron
54. The next term in the series 1, 2, 6, 15, 31, is
(A) 47 (B) 50 (C) 56 (D) 63
55. 69 biscuits were distributed among 27 students in a class. If each boy got 2 biscuits and each girl 3, how many girls were there in the class ?
(A) 23 (B) 19 (C) 15 (D) 12
56. A tube-well will not work if the depth of water below the ground is
(A) 20 ft. (B) 25 ft. (C) 28 ft. (D) 38 ft.
57. The technique of 'DNA sequencing' was discovered by
(A) H. G. Khorana (B) Watson and Crick (C) Frederick Sanger (D) E. M. Southern
58. Among the districts of West Bengal, according to 2001 census data sex ratio is lowest in
(A) Kolkata (B) Purulia (C) Hooghly (D) Uttar Dinajpur
59. A Cladogram depicts the hypothesis of
(A) Evolutionary relationship (B) Phenatic relationship
(C) Genetic relationship (D) Taxonomic relationship
60. The Right to Information Act is applicable to the whole of India except to the state of
(A) Jammu and Kashmir (B) Mizoram (C) Manipur (D) Nagaland
61. In West Bengal SEZ was planned
(A) Around Medinipur (B) Around Jhargram
(C) Around Nandigram (D) Around Haldia
62. Consider the following statement
(1) Definition of force is obtained from Newton's first law of motion.
(2) Definition of force is obtained from Newton's second law of motion.
(3) In a house-hold wiring the appliances are connected in series.
(4) The picture-tube of a television is basically a cathode ray tube.
(A) Only 1 is correct (B) Only 2 is correct
(C) Only 2 and 4 are correct (D) Only 1 and 4 are correct
63. Which one of the following is an indirect tax levied by the Central Government in India ?
(A) Service tax (B) Corporate Income tax (C) Profession tax (D) Agricultural Income tax
64. The Treaty of Amritsar was signed by the English with Ranjit Singh in the year
(A) 1807 A.D. (B) 1809 A.D. (C) 1811 A.D. (D) 1813 A.D.
65. What is Ibadat Khana at Fatepur Sikri ?
(A) A magnificent building for residence (B) A house for religious discourses of all religions
(C) A house for eating (D) None of the above
66. Prohibition of Sati was enacted by Regulation XVII in year
(A) 1829 A.D. (B) 1830 A.D. (C) 1835 A.D. (D) None of the above
67. With the people of which country Harappan people carried trade ?
(A) China (B) Iran (C) Russia (D) Sumer
68. The Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College of Aligarh was founded in the year
(A) 1868 A.D. (B) 1875 A.D. (C) 1883 A.D. (D) 1906 A.D.
69. The oldest school of Indian Philosophy is
(A) Yoga (B) Sankhya (C) Vaisesika (D) Karma Mimansa
70. 3 positions of a six-faced die, with one of tne digits 1, 2, ........... 6 marked on each face, are shown below :
What is the face opposite 2 ?
(A) 1 (B) 3 (C) 5 (D) 6
71. If the day before yesterday was a Monday, the third day after tomorrow will be a
(A) Thursday (B) Friday (C) Saturday (D) Sunday
72. Todas are tribals of
(A) Jharkhand (B) Chhattisgarh (C) Uttarakhand (D) Nilgiri Hills
73. How much of India's crude oil requirement is imported ?
(A) 65 % (B) 70 % (C) 75 % (D) 80 %
74. Kapildhara Falls is located on
(A) River Sone (B) River Chambal (C) River Narmada (D) River Krishna
75. The number in the position marked '?' in the diagram is
(A) 43 (B) 39 (C) 22 (D) 12
76. Electrical energy is converted into mechanical energy by a
(A) Thermostat (B) Motor (C) Dynamo (D) Rectifier
77. The 73rd Constitutional Amendment in 1992
(A) provided a constitutional guarantee to the formation of Panchayats at the village and other levels.
(B) added a new part to the Constitution relating to urban local bodies.
(C) stipulated that all Panchayat members be elected for a five year term in elections supervised by the State Election Commission.
(D) Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
(A) 1 and 2 (B) 1 and 3 (C) 1 only (D) 2 only
78. The apex body which operates micro-finance scheme by promoting self-help groups of individuals from a homogeneous class through banks or non-government organisations is
(A) Regional Rural Bank (B) Grameen Bank
(C) State Bank of India (D) National Bank Or Agriculture and Rural Development
79. Nadir Shah invaded India in the year
(A) 1738 A.D. (B) 1739 A.D. (C) 1740 A.D. (D) 1741 A.D.
80. A piece of cotton cloth gets wet if one end of it is dipped in water in a glass. This is due to
(A) Gravitation (B) Viscosity (C) Elasticity (D) Capillarity
81. Who was Megasthenes ?
(A) Ambassador of Seleucus (B) Prime Minister of Chandragupta Maurya
(C) A Greek pilgrim (D) A Chinese traveller
82. Pinkubabu purchased 4 baskets of mango containing 15, 18, 21 and 22 fruits. He kept the entire content of one of the baskets for his own family, and distributed the remaining mangoes equally among five of his friends living nearby. Number of mangoes in the basket he kept for his own family was
(A) 15 (B) 18 (C) 21 (D) 22
83. The Himalayas are
(A) Fold Mountains (B) Block Mountains (C) Residual Hills (D) Table land
84. Tsunamis are generated by
(A) Undersea plate movements (B) Undersea vulcanism (C) Tidal change (D) None of the above
85. Under which Article of the Indian Constitution provision has been made for the formation of a Finance Commission to deal with various aspects of Centre-State financial relationship ?
(A) Article 245 (B) Article 280 (C) Article 356 (D) Article 370
86. Who was the author of Rajtarangini ?
(A) Kautilya (B) Megasthenes (C) Kalhan (D) None of the above
87. At which Delhi Durbar the Queen of England was proclaimed the Empress of India ?
(A) 1876-77 A.D. (B) 1911 A.D. (C) 1921 A.D. (D) None of the above
88. Who was the main inspiration of the Young Bengal movement ?
(A) Rammohan (B) Derozio (C) Debendranath (D) David Hare
89. Who is called "A traditional moderniser" ?
(A) Vidyasagar (B) Swami Vivekananda (C) Rammohan Roy (D) B. G. Tilak
90. The capital of Tipu Sultan was at
(A) Mysore (B) Seringapattam (C) Sringeri (D) Belur
91. About whom the British Prime Minister said - "Half naked Fakir from India" ?
(A) Taj Bahadur Sapru (B) Gandhiji (C) Muhammad Ali (D) B. R. Ambedkar
92. If CAT = 356, COW = 398, DOG = 490 and RAT = 256, then a possible code for FOX is
(A) 701 (B) 107 (C) 791 (D) 193
93. Who was the founder-President of the Swaraj Party ?
(A) Motilal Nehru (B) C. R. Das (C) Rajendra Prasad (D) Rajagopalachari
94. In a college union election for the post of General Secretary, Surupa secured 60% of the total votes and defeated Ananya by a margin of 60 votes in a direct contest. Total number of valid votes was
(A) 120 (B) 150 (C) 300 (D) 360
(I) Only hardworking persons become rich, and
(II) All successful persons are hardworking.
Then which one of the following conclusions can be drawn from the above two assumptions ?
(A) Attn is hardworking; therefore he is both successful and rich.
(B) Bitan is successful; therefore he is rich.
(C) Chayan is neither successful nor rich; therefore be is not hardworking
(D) Duke is not hardworking; therefore he is neither successful nor rich.
96. Highest population growth rate in West Bengal, according to 2001 census is found in
(A) Malda (B) Uttar Dinajpur (C) Dakshin Dinajpur (D) South 24-Parganas
97. The Simon Commission was appointed for
(A) Indian Constitutional Reforms (B) Administrative Reforms
(D) Educational Reforms (D) Jail Code Reforms
98. Who was the Governor-General who decided in favour of Western education in India ?
(A) Lord Cornwallis (B) Lord Bentinck (C) Lord Ripon (D) Lord Curzon
99. Who was the Governor-General of India when Widow Remarriage Act was passed ?
(A) Lord Ripon (B) Lord Canning (C) Lord Dalhousie (D) Lord Bentinck
100. Which number in the following sequence is incorrect ?
1, 4, 13, 40, 122, 364, ........................
(A) 13 (B) 40 (C) 122 (D) 364
101. 8 persons A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are sitting by a round table each facing the centre. D is second to the left of F and third to the right of H. A is second to the right of F and an immediate neighbour of H. C is second to the right of B and F is third to the right of B. G is not an immediate neighbour of F. In the above information who is to the immediate left of A ?
(A) H (B) E (C) G (D) B
102. The next term in the sequence 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 5, 7 ............ is
(A) 5 (B) 6 (C) 7 (D) 8
103. Sal is a type of
(A) Coniferous tree (B) Deciduous tree (C) Evergreen tree (D) Xerophytic tree
104. Who wrote "Life Divine" ?
(A) Swami Vivekenanda (B) Keshab Chandra Sen (C) Sister Nivedita (D) Arabindo Ghosh
105. The Community Development Programme was launched in the year
(A) 1950 A.D. (B) 1951 A.D. (C) 1952 A.D. (D) 1953 A.D.
106. Who founded the "Amrita Bazar Patrika" ?
(A) Surendra Nath Banerjee (B) Barindra Ghosh (C) Krishna Kumar Mitra (D) Sisir Kumar Ghosh
107. The Muslim League joined the Interim Government in
(A) October 1946 (B) November 1946 (C) December 1946 (D) January 1947
108. Which of the following films was directed by Tapan Sinha ?
(A) Zindagi Zindagi (B) Sagina (C) Ek Doctor Ki Maut (D) All of the above
109. Who translated 'Nil Darpan' in English ?
(A) Madhusudan Dutt (B) Rev. James Long
(C) Harish Chandra Mukherjee (D) Kali Prasanna Singha
110. 'Sundarbans' in West Bengal has been declared World Heritage site in
(A) 1999 (B) 1989 (C) 1979 (D) 1969
111. The Bhakra Nangal Multipurpose Project consists of the Bhakra Dam across
(A) River Jhelum (B) River Sutlej (C) River Beas (D) River Indus
112. Bailadila range in India is noted for the production of
(A) Aluminium (B) Iron Ore (C) Bauxite (D) Mica
113. World Conference against Racism was recently held in
(A) Beijing (B) Durban (C) Bonn (D) Geneva
114. Which movement of Gandhiji joined with Khilafat movement ?
(A) Civil Disobedience (B) Non-Co-operation (C) Quit India (D) Against Indigo cultivation (1917)
115. Satyam Computers has been taken over by
(A) Lersen & Toubro (B) TCS (C) Tech Mahindra (D) W. L. Ross
116. Who was the first President of the All India Trade Union Congress ?
(A) Lala Lajpat Rai (B) Dewan Chamanlal (C) Chittaranjan Das (D) Subhash Chandra Bose
117. Partition of Bengal was withdrawn in
(A) 1905 (B) 1906 (C) 1911 (D) 1909
118. If LALGARH is coded as MCOKFXO, then a possible code for ANDOLAN, is
(A) BQGSQGU (B) BPGSQGU (C) BPGTQGU (D) BPFSQGU
119. Who offered leadership for the Khilafat Movement ?
(A) Sayyid Ahmed (B) Iqbal (C) Mohammad Ali and Saukat All (D) RahamatAli
120. Bauxite extracted in Madhya Pradesh is used for the production of
(A) Bronze (B) Aluminium (C) Copper (D) Mica
121. 50 added to 60% of a number is the number itself. The number is
(A) 110 (B) 125 (C) 200 (D) 300
122. The first to be designated as the Governor General of India was
(A) Lord Clive (B) Sir John Shore (C) Warren Hastings (D) Lord Cornwallis
123. C is A's only daughter, and B and D are her only two brothers, Of the three grandsons E, G and M of A, E and M are only sons of B and D respectively, Of the three grand daughters F, H and N of A, H and N are only daughters of C and D respectively. Then B is G's
(A) Maternal uncle (B) Paternal uncle (C) Nephew (D) Cousin
124. AIDS/HIV virus is a type of
(A) DNA virus (B) RNA virus (C) Either DNA or RNA virus (D) Both DNA and RNA virus
125. 19 students appear in a class test. The average of the best 10 scores is 69 while that of the worst 10 is 38. If the average of all the 19 scores is 54, the 10th score in order'of magnitude is
(A) 62 (B) 58 (C) 46 (D) 44
126. The Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act deals with
(A) revenue deficit only (B) fiscal deficit only
(C) both fiscal deficit and revenue deficit
(D) fiscal deficits in the budgets of state governments only
127. When did Chingiz Khan invade India ?
(A) 1211 A.D. (B) 1221 A.D. (C) 1399 A.D. (D) 1526 A.D.
128. India held joint naval exercise in February with USA and
(A) Japan (B) Australia (C) South Korea (D) None of the above
129. Consider the following statements about the Right to Education Bill :
(1) The preliminary work on the Bill was initiated by the UPA government.
(2) One of the key provisions of the Bill is to ensure 25% reservation in private schools for disadvantage children from the neighbourhood, at the entry level.
(3) The Bill also prohibits physical punishment, expulsion or detention of a child.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
(A) 1 only (B) 2 only (C) 2 and 3 (D) All of 1, 2 and 3
130. Who is called "Sher-i-Punjab" ?
(A) Ranjit Singh (B) Amar Singh (C) Lala Lajpat Rai (D) Bhagat Singh
131. The Yas Pal Committee Report relates to
(A) Telecommunications (B) Higher Education (C) Rural Health (D) Drinking Water Supply
132. Attempt is being made to regulate vehicular pollution by autorickshaws through switching over to
(A) Petrol (B) Alcoholic fuel (C) CNG (D) Diesel
133. The largest contribution to India's foreign exchange reserve in value terms comes from
(A) Engineering Goods (B) Software Services (C) Gems and Jewellery (D) Readymade Garments
134. What is Adigranth ?
(A) A religious book of the Sikhs
(B) A book which gave the fundamental codes of human conduct
(C) A book which guided the rulers of medieval India
(D) None of the above
135. Alberto Fujimori was the President of
(A) Peru (B) Japan (C) Kenya (D) Chile
136. Who was known as "Bagha Jatin" ?
(A) Jatin Das (B) Jatindranath Mukherjee (C) Jatindramohan Sengupta (D) None of the above
137. The All India Home Rule League was established by
(A) Annie Besant (B) Motilal Nehru (C) B. R.Ambedkar (D) Sarojini Naidu
138. Using a bi-cycle, Ayan moves 2 km from A to D due west; then 8 km to B due east via A, and finally 8 km to C due
north. His distance in km now from A is
(A) 10 (B) 12 (C) 14 (D) 18
139. Forest Protection Committees consist of
(A) Forest Guards (B) Panchayat Members
(C) Forest Villages, Forest Department and Panchayat
(D) Forest Department officials
140. In which year did Jalianwalabagh massacre happen ?
(A) 1908 (B) 1909 (C) 1918 (D) 1919
141. Shivaji's coronation took place in the year
(A) 1672 A.D. (B) 1673 A.D. (C) 1674 A.D. (D) 1675 A.D.
142. Inter-state water dispute regarding sharing of river water has been taking place between
(A) Madhya Pradesh and Orissa (B) Karnataka and Tamil Nadu
(C) Uttar Pradesh and Bihar (D) Gujarat and Maharashtra
143. In India variety of corals are found around
(A) Lakshadweep (B) Daman & Diu (C) Sundarbans (D) Narmada estuary
144. The soil of Bankura district is
(A) Podzolic (B) Alluvial (C) Lateritic (D) Silty
145. The first Indian Prime Minister who did not belong to the then Indian National Congress ?
(A) Charan Singh (B) Vishwanath Pratap Singh (C) Chandra Shekhar (D) Morarji Desai
146. Which Governor General was assassinated during his term of office ?
(A) Lord Mayo (B) Lord Hardinge (C) Lord Northbrook (D) Lord Lytton
147. Iran recently celebrated anniversary of its Islamic Revolution.
(A) 20th (B) 25th (C) 30th (D) 50th
148. In which of the following Five Year Plans a bold approach was adopted towards a long term employment policy ?
(A) Fifth (B) Sixth (C) Seventh (D) Eighth
149. Who was the President of the Constituent Assembly ?
(A) B. R. Ambedkar (B) C. Rajagopalachari (C) Rajendra Prasad (D) Jawaharlal Nehru
150. Who founded the "School Book Society" ?
(A) William Jones (B) Hyde East (C) D. Bethune (D) David Hare
151. The Nagarjunasagar Multipurpose Project consists of a masonry dam across
(A) River Krishna (B) River Cauvery (C) River Tungabhadra (D) River Sone
152. The word "demarche" recently appeared in the news in the wake of Mumbai Terror Attacks. What is a "demarche" ?
(A) A sudden air-strike on a specific area in a foreign country
(B) A secret report on subversive activities within a state
(C) Diplomatic representation of a government position
(D) Recommendations to the government on police reforms
153. Which of the following recently witnessed ethnic riots ?
(A) Urumaqi (B) Wuhan (C) Tianjin (D) Taichung
154. A man, while facing east, turns twice in succession to his right; then turns thrice in succession to his left; finally he turns twice in succession to his right. The direction he is facing now is
(A) East (B) West (C) North (D) South
155. In respiration, cytosol plays a significant role in
(A) Oxidative phosphorylation (B) Oxidative decarboxylation of pyruvic acid
(C) Krebs cycle (D) Glycolysis
156. Who presided over the second session of the Indian National Congress ?
(A) Dadabhai Naoroji (B) Badruddin Tayebji (C) W. C. Bonerjea (D) Pherozeshah Mehta
157. Queen Victoria became Empress of India by
(A) Royal Titles Act, 1876 (B) Act of 1858 (C) Council Act, 1861 (D) Act of 1872
158. Which officer was called Bakshi during the ruie of Akbar ?
(A) An officer in charge of town administration (B) Officer in charge of military organization
(C) An administrative/executive officer (D) None of the above
159. Which of the following recently filed for bankruptcy ?
(A) General Motors (B) Toyota (C) Hyundai (D) Honda
160. River Ganga flows into the sea through
(A) An estuary (B) A delta (C) A bird's foot estuary (D) None of the above
161. Consider the following statements :
1. Part II of the Indian Constitution covers Articles 12 to 35 and deals with Fundamental Rights of Indian citizens.
2. Right to Property is listed as a Fundamental Right in the Constitution.
Which of the above statements is/are correct ?
(A) 1 only (B) 2 only (C) Both 1 and 2 (D) Neither 1 nor 2
162. —— has been declared the International Year of Astronomy .
(A) 2008 (B) 2009 (C) 2010 (D) None of the above .
163. The Diwani of Bengal was granted to Clive in the year
(A) 1757 A.D. (B) 1765 A.D. (C) 1772 A.D. (D) 1784 A.D.
164. Who was known as the mother of Indian revolutionaries ?
(A) Sister Nivedita (B) Annie Besant (C) Madame Cama (D) Matangini Hazra
165. Which one among the following Indian states has the highest density of population ?
(A) West Bengal (B) Maharastra (C) Uttar Pradesh (D) Bihar
166. India's new Constitution was adopted (signed) on
(A) 26 November 1949 (B) 20 December 1949 (C) 25 December 1949 (D) 26 January 1950
167. Which was not a member of Third Front in last Lok Sabha Election ?
(A) CPI (M) (B) Janata (S) (C) IRS (D) SP
168. Bombay High Court recently ordered the merger of Reliance Industries and ——
(A) Reliance Natural (B) Reliance Infra (C) Reliance Petroleum (D) Reliance Power
169. The Sixth Schedule of the Constitution of India contains provisions for
(A) administration of tribal areas in the States of Assam, Meghalaya and Mizoram
(B) administration and control of Scheduled areas of many States
(C) powers and subjects to be looked after by the Union and States
(D) disqualification of members on grounds of defection
170. Which one of the following diagrams represents the sets of all human beings, swimmers and Indians ?
171. The process of radical economic reforms and liberalization in India was started in the year
(A) 1990 AD. (B) 1991 A.D. (C) 1992 A.D. (D) 1993 A.D.
172. What was Khutba ?
(A) A sermon read in the name of the ruling king at Friday prayers
(B) An order issued by the king
(C) A punishment given by the king
(D) None of the above
173. Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the Lists :
List I (Person) List II (Position)
(a) N. Gopalaswamy 1. Chief Information Commissioner
(b) Sukhadeo Thorat 2. Chief Election Commissioner
(c) Wajahat Habibullah 3. Chairperson, National Human Rights Commission
(d) S. Rajendra Babu 4. Chairman, University Grants Commission Codes :
(A) a - 2, b - 1, c - 4, d - 3 (B) a - 1, b - 3, c - 4, d - 2
(C) a-2, b-4, c-3. d- 1 (D) a - 2, b - 4, c - 1, d - 3
174. Globalisation is being reflected in the Indian Scenario through the establishment of
(A) Neighbourhood shops (B) Local bazaars (C) Shopping malls (D) Stationery shops
175. An alloy contains 20% zinc, 45% nickel and rest aluminium. The total mass in gm of the alloy containing 105 gm of aluminium is
(A) 170 (B) 200 (C) 250 (D) 300
176. The Medical College in Koikata was established in the year
(A) 1829 A.D. (B) 1835 A.D. (C) 1858 A.D. (D) 1884 A.D.
177. The last Wimbledon (2009) was Roger Federar's —— grand slam title.
(A) 15th (B) 16th (C) 17th (D) 18th
178. Corazone Aquino was the head of ——
(A) Thailand (B) Philippines (C) Fiji (D) Australia
179. Last August (2009) India signed a free trade agreement with ——
(A) OPEC (B) AU (C) ASEAN (D) NAFTA
180. In West Bengal Plantation Agriculture is found in
(A) Malda district (B) Darjeeling district (C) Bankura district (D) Howrah district
181. Who of the following conquered territory in India and founded an empire in the name of his ancestors ?
(A) Humayun (B) Sher Shah (C) Babur (D) None of them
182. India is not a member of ——
(A) BRIC (B) BIMSTEC (C) SCO (D) WTO
183. 'Andhis'are storms of
(A) Punjab (B) West Bangal (C) Assam (D) Uttar Pradesh
184. Consider the following statements :
1. Rajya Sabha is a permanent body.
2. Every member of the Rajya Sabha is entitled to a maximum term of five years.
3. Lok Sabha can make laws on subjects mentioned in the State List
Which of the above statements is/are correct ?
(A) 2 and 3 (B) 1 and 3 (C) 2 only (D) None of 1, 2 and 3
185. Same force is applied to two bodies A and B of masses m and 5 m respectively for the same time. Then
(A) Velocity of A and B will be same (B) Momentum of A and B will be same
(C) Momentum of A will be greater (D) Momentum of B will be greater
186. Coastal Regulation Zones in India have been identified on the basis of
(A) Tidal Height (B) Sea Level Rise (C) Depth of Water (D) Undersea Bathymetry
187. Which Constitutional Amendment Act granted the Right to Education for all Indian citizens ?
(A) 73rd (B) 74th (C) 86th (D) 91st
188. Which one of the following years is regarded as the base year for construction of the Wholesale Price Index in India ?
(A) 1990-91 (B) 1991-92 (C) 1992-93 (D) 1993-94
189. Who is the Chair person of the Unique Identification Authority ?
(A) B. G. Verghese (B) Nandan Nilekani (C) Sam Pitroda (D) Nandan Bagchi
190. Among Ashoke, Dibakar, Arun and Bratin, Dibakar is younger than Arun, Bratin is older than only Ashok. Who is the oldest ?
(A) Can't be identified data incomplete (B) Dibakar (C) Arun (D) Bratin
191. Gangubai Hangal belonged to ——— gharana.
(A) Agra (B) Gwalior (C) Mewati (D) Kirana
192. India's third research station in Antarctica will be named
(A) Gangotri (B) Maitri (C) Bharti (D) Alka
193. Which of the following Indian pharmaceuticals companies was recently taken over by Dilchi Sankyo of Japan with 62.92% of equity share capital ?
(A) Ranbaxy (B) Dr. Reddy's Laboratories (C) Nicholas Piramal (D) Glaxo India
194. The author of "In Other Rooms, Other Wonders" is
(A) Mohsin Hamid (B) NadeemAslam (C) Daniyal Mueenuddin (D) Mohammad Hanif
195. The Central Government is to collect Rs —— crore from disinvestment in 2009-10.
(A) 1120 (B) 1125 (C) 1130 (D) 1150
196. The 109th amendment of the Indian Constitution relates to —— .
(A) The President's power (B) Age of voters (C) Reservation for SCs and STs (D) Official language
197. India developed RISAT 2 satellite in collaboration with
(A) USA (B) Russia (C) France (D) Israel
198. China was recently lashed by Typhoon —— .
(A) Morakot (B) Lungwang (C) Wukong (D) Rumbia
199. India was the —— country to develop nuclear powered submarine .
(A) 5th (B) 6th (C) 7th (D) 8th
200. Who founded the Indian Association in Calcutta ?
(A) W. C. Banerjee (B) S. N. Banerjee (C) Subhas Chandra Bose (D) Chittaranjan Das