WBCS Examination Main Compulsory Question Paper III - 2015 [General Studies - I]
1. Which river has been harnessed under the Hirakud multipurpose Project ?
(A) Godavari (B) Mahanadi (C) Narmada (D) Krishna
2. Which state in India has the largest proportion of its net irrigated area under well irrigation ?
(A) Hariyana (B) Bihar (C) Gujrat (D) West Bengal
3. Which State is called the 'Sugar Bowl' of India.
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Punjab (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Bihar
4. The typical area of 'Sal forests in the Indian Peninsula occurs.
(A) On the Western Ghats (B) Between the Taptl and the Narmada
(C) To the North-East of Godavari (D) On the Malwa Plateau
5. Sugarcane cultivation In India is an example of
(A) Plantation agriculture (B) Shifting cultivation (C) Irrigated cultivation (D) Mechanised cultivation
6. What is Jhum ?
(A) A type of cultivation (B) A type of swinging basket
(C) A river valley In a dry region (D) A tribal dance in MP
7. Which Sanctuary in Kerala is known for elephants ?
(A) Parakal (B) Periyar (C) Chandraprabha (D) Kanha
8. Vector and Raster data are used for
(A) Remote sensing application (B) Geographical information system application
(C) Global positioning system (D) All of the above
9. Pie-diagram is best example of representation of
(A) Land use (B) Distrlbution of population (C) Spot heights (D) Crop production
10. The most appropriate symbol for representing urban centres on maps is
(A) Dots (B) Circle (C) Spheres (D) None of the above
11. Location of sugar industry in India is shifting from north to south because of
(A) Cheap labour (B) Expanding regional market
(C) Cheap and abundant supply of power (D) High yield and high sugar content sugar cane
12. Copper is produced in
(A) Rajasthan and Bihar (B) Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan
(C) Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan (D) Odisha, Rajasthan and Bihar
13. In the process of industrial development of India, the investment per enterprise in the public sector was the highest during the
(A) First five year plan (B) Third five years plan (C) Fifth five year Plan (D) Seventh five year plan.
14. Unlike other parts of the Indian Coast, fishing industry has not developed along the Saurashtra Coast because
(A) There are few indentations suitable for fishing
(B) Of overwhelming dependence on agriculture and animal husbandry
(C) The sea water is relatively more saline
(D) Of industrial development leading to wide spread pollution of coastal area
15. Which one of the following statements is incorrect ?
(A) Maximum number of cotton yarn and textile mills are located in Gujarat
(B) Carpet industry is chiefly in the State of Uttar Pradesh
(C) Cotton textile industry provides jobs to the maximum number of people
(D) The first cotton mill was set up at Fort Gloster in Calcutta
16. Modern industrial development of India is largely due to -
(A) Rationalisation of raw material (B) Availability of skilled man power
(C) Liberalisation of government policies (D) Increase in market demand
17. Which of the following factor are responsible for the rapid growth of sugar production in South India as compared to North India ?
(a) Higher per acre yield ol Sugar cane (b) Higher Sucrose content of Sugarcane
(c) Lower labour cost (d) Longer crushing period
Choose the correct Code
(A) a & b (B) a, b & c (C) a, c & d (D) a, b & d
18. Nepanagar is famous for -
(A) Paper Board Industry (H) Carbon Paper industry
(C) Craft Paper Industry (D) Newsprint Paper Industry
19. Which one of the following is not a GIS Software 7
(A) ARCVIEW (B) ORIRIS (C) ILWIS (D) IMAGE ANALYST
20. Which of the following is not the agencies foi carrying out the aerial photography in India ?
(A) National Remote Sensing Agency, Hyderabad (B) Air survey company (Private) Limited, Calcutta
(C) Indian Air Force (D) None of the above
21. The highest water-fall in India is -
(A) Hogenakal (B) Jog (C) Sivasundaram (D) None of the above
22. Consider the following statements -
(1) India produced 8.5 million motor-cycles in 2009-10
(2) India is the largest producer of motor-cycles
(3) India is the second largest exporter of passenger cars
Which of the above statements are correct ?
(A) 1 & 2 (B) 1 & 3 (C) 2 & 3 (D) None of the above
23. Which of the following iron and steel plants was built to use charcoal as a source of power to start with but later switched over to hydro-electricity ?
(A) TISCO (B) IISCO (C) VISL (D) HSL
24. Consider the following statements and code the correct one-
(a) Cotton textile is the largest industry in India
(b) Cotton textile contributes about 35% of the total industrial production
(c) Cotton textile provides employment to about 18% of the workforce
(d) About 17% of India's total exports consist of textile
(A) a, b & c (B) a, b & d (C) a, c & d (D) All of the above
25. Assertion (A) Iron and Steel Industry is called a basic industry
Reason (R) Iron and Steel are alkaline in reaction
(A) Both A & R are true and R is the correct explanation of A
(B) Both A & R are true, but R is not the correct explanation of A
(C) A is true, but R is false
(D) R is true but A is false
26. The first cotton mill of India was established at
(A) Mumbai (B) Ahmedabad (C) Baroda (D) Kolkata
27. Hindalco, an aluminium factory located at Renukut owes its site basically to
(A) Proximity of raw materials (B) Abundant supply of power
(C) Efficient transport network (D) Proximity to the market
28. For which one of the following is Satara well known
(A) Thermal Power plant (B) Wind Energy plant (C) Hydro-electric plant (D) Nuclear Power plant
29. Where are the BHEL Plants located ?
(A) Haridwar, Bhopal, Hyderabad & Tiruchirapalli (B) Pinjour, Bengaluru, Hyderabad & Kalamassery
(C) Haridwar, Pinjour, Kalamassery & Tiruchirapalli (D) Bhopal, Jhansi, Haridwat & Tiruchlrapalli
30. Which one of the following areas of India produces largest amount of cotton ?
(A) North western India and Gangetic Paschim Banga (B) North Western and Western India
(C) Western and Southern India (D) Plains of Northern India
31. Which one of the following is most spoken Indo-Austric Language in India ?
(A) Khasi (B) Santhali (C) Munda (D) Kharia
32. Which of the following Scheduled Tribe has a dispersed core ?
(A) AO (B) Garo (C) Santhal (D) Bhil
33. Name the Five Year Plan (FY) in which the 'Voluntary Sterilisation Population Policy' was introduced ?
(A) l st Five year Plan (B) 2nd Five year plan (C) 3rd Five year plan (D) 4th Five year plan
34. The habitat of the Toda Tribe is -
(A) Aravalli range (B) Siwalik range (C) Kaimur range (D) Nilgiri hills
35. Which one of the following States has the lowest percentage of Scheduled Tribes ?
(A) Arunachal Pradesh (B) Manipur (C) Mizoram (D) Nagaland
36. The Rourkela Steel plant was built on the bank of the
(A) Bhadra river (B) Brahmani river (C) Damodar river (D) Bhima river
37. According to the census 2011, India has what percentage of the total population of the world ?
(A) 16.64% (B) 17.64% (C) 18.64% (D) 19.64%
38. Which one of the following is not the part of the definition of a town as per the census of India ?
(A) Population density of 400 persons per Sq. Km.
(B) Presence of Municipality Corporation etc.
(C) More than 75% of the population engaged in primary sector
(D) Population size of more than 5000 persons
39. The Zones and Strata theory pertaining to the origin and diffusion of human races was propounded by
(A) Ripley (B) Taylor (C) Huntington (D) Baker
40. Consider the following statements
(1) Textile industry is labour intensive
(2) Textile industry is export oriented
(3) India exports more textile goods than China
Which of the statements given above are correct ?
(A) 1 & 2 (B) 2 & 3 (C) 1 & 3 (D) All of the above
41. The map in which distribution of different objects are shown by letter symbols are called -
(A) Choroschematic maps (B) Chorochromatic maps (C) Choropleth maps (D) All of the above
42. The main occupation of the Gonds is
(A) Food gathering (H) Forestrj (C) Hunting (D) Cultivation
43. Which one of the following Union Territories has the highest literacy rate ?
(A) Chandigarh (B) Dadra and Nagar Haveli (C) Daman and Diu (D) NCT of Delhi
44. Dry point settlements are common in
(A) Deltas (B) Mountain regions (C) Deserts (D) Plains
45. Which one of the following states recorded the lowest literacy in 2011 ?
(A) Andhra Pradesh (B) Assam (C) Jharkhand (D) Odisha
46. Settlements which grow along the road, river or a canal are
(A) Square settlements (B) Rectangular settlements (C) Linear settlements (D) None of the above
47. Between 2001 and 2011, India's population has increased by
(A) 161 Million (B) 171 Million (C) 181 Million (D) 191 Million
48. Which one of the following statements is incorrect ?
(A) Kerala has the highest literacy rate in India
(B) Lakshadweep has the second highest literacy rate in the country
(C) Bihar has recorded the lowest female literacy rate
(D) Jammu and Kashmir has the literacy rate below the national level
49. Arrange the literacy rates of the following States in descending order -
(a) Kerala (b) Mozoram (c) Tripura (d) Goa
(A) a, b, d, c (B) a, b, c, d (C) a, d, b, c (D) a, d, c, b
50. About 85% of the total iron ore production of India is from -
(A) Jharkhand and Odisha (B) Karnataka and Odisha
(C) Bihar and Madhya Pradesh (D) Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
51. Among the following States, which one has the largest forest area ?
(A) Gujarat (B) Karnataka (C) Odisha (D) Tamil Nadu
52. Diamond Mines are located at -
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Karnataka (C) Madhya Pradesh (D) Gujarat
53. Which one of the following sets of conditions is necessary for a good cultivation of Wheat ?
(A) Moderate temperature and moderate rainfall (B) High temperature and heavy rainfall
(C) High temperature and moderate rainfall (D) Low temperature and low rainfall
54. Which one of the following does not belong to biosphere reserves set-up so far ?
(A) Great Nicobar (B) Sunderbans (C) Nanda Devi (D) Gulf of Kachch
55. Reserved Forest is a forest -
(A) Totally under Government control (B) Meant mainly for tribal people
(C) Earmarked for commercial exploition with restricted grazing (D) With wild life protection
56. The Western Ghats in Maharashtra is known as
(A) Nilgiris (B) Cardamom Hills (C) Annamalai (D) Sahyadris
57. The upliftment of the Himalayas was first initiated during the period of-
(A) Middle Pliocene (B) Middle Oligocene (C) Middle Eocene (D) Middle Miocene
58. Structurally, the Great Himalaya is -
(A) An autochthonous zone (B) A par-autochthonous zone
(C) An allochthonous zone (D) A Suture zone
59. Indian's Eastern Ghats and Western Ghats meet at the -
(A) Cardamom Hills (B) Annamalai Hills (C) Nilgiri Hills (D) Palani Hills
60. Which one of the following is at the lowest height above the Mean Sea Level ?
(A) Delhi (B) Jodhpur (C) Kota (D) Nagpur
61. The approximate Cirumference of the Earth is :
(A) 23,000 km (B) 20,000 km (C) 40,000 km (D) 35,000 km
62. The speed of rotation of the Earth is the highest :
(A) Along the Equator (B) At the North Pole
(C) Along the Tropic of Cancer (D) Along the Arctic Circle
63. Ecosystem has two components :
(A) Plants and animals (B) Weeds and trees (C) Biotic and abiotic (D) Frogs and man
64. Peaty soil is found in :
(A) Kerala (B) Assam (C) Manipur (D) Gujarat
65. Among the following which one is related to Blue Revolution of India ?
(A) Horticulture (B) Sericulture (C) Pisciculture (D) Floriculture
66. Which of the following Islands of India has volcanic origin ?
(A) Car-Nicobar (B) Barren (C) North Andaman (D) Little Nicobar
67. Aluminium Factory of West Bengal is located at :
(A) Falta (B) Asansol (C) Durgapur (D) Batanagar
68. Lowest rainfall of West Bengal is found in :
(A) Purulia (B) Birbhum (C) Paschim Midnapore (D) Bankura
69. West Bengal was formed on
(A) 1st January of 190S (B) 15th August of 1947 (C) 26th January of 1950 (D) 14th April of 1948
70. Consider the following statements and select the correct answer using codes given below
I. Rivers of Sunderban Region are fed by high tides
II. Most of the riven ol Sunderban Region are distributaries of Hooghly
III. Haldi is a tributary ol Hooghly
IV. Saptamukhi and Piyali fall in Sunderban Region
(A) I & III (B) II & III (C) I, II & IV (D) None of the above
71. Which one of the following statements is incorrect ?
(A) Diu is an island in the Gulf of Khambhat
(B) Daman and Diu were separated from Goa by the 56th Amendment of the Constitution of India
(C) Dadra and Nagar Haveli were under French Colonial Rule till 1954
(D) Goa attained full statehood in 1987
72. Which one among the following statements is incorrect ?
(A) Sikkim, West Bengal, Arunachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir are having boundary touching maximum no. of Countries
(B) West Bengal has the highest population density
(C) Mumbai City is the largest District
(D) Bihar has the lowest literates
73. Among the following cities which one is the nearest to the tropic of Cancer ?
(A) Delhi (B) Kolkata (C) Jodhpur (D) Nagpur
74. The World's highest ground based Telescopic Observatory is located in :
(A) Columbia (B) India (C) Nepal (D) USA
75. Consider the following statements and select the correct answer using codes given below.
I. Gilandi and Mujnai are flown in Coochbehar
II. Mahananda, Piyali and Titli belong to Brahmaputra River system
III. Damodar River is originated from Chhotonagpur Plateau
(A) I & III are correct (B) I & II are correct (C) II & III are correct (D) All are correct
76. Severe drought is called when :
(A) Shortage of annual rain fall is by more than 50%
(B) Shortage of annual rain fall by more than 80%
(C) Shortage of annual rain fall by more than 60%
(D) None of the above
77. Wular Lake of Kashmir is :
(A) Ox-bow Lake
(B) Lake formed by tectonic activity
(C) Lake formed by terminal morainic dam
(D) Lake formed by continuous deposition of silt
78. Which one of the following is most prone to earth quake ?
(A) High hill tops (B) Young folded mountain (C) Oil Shields (D) All of the above
79. The highest peak of the Himalayas In India is in
(A) Uttar Pradesh (B) Kashmir (C) Sikkim (D) Himachal Pradesh
80. The States which have common borden with China are :
1. Jammu & Kashmir 2. Sikkim 3. Arunachal Pradesh 4. Himachal Pradesh
Which is the correct code
(A) 1 & 3 (B) 1, 3 & 4 (C) 1, 2 & 3 (D) 1, 2 , 3 & 4
81. Formation of potholes in river beds is an example of
(A) Hydration (B) Corrosion (C) Erosion (D) Attrition
82. Golden Revolution refers to :
(A) Apiculture (H) Horticulture (C) Sericulture (D) None of the above
83. Which one of the following regions of the World is called the bread basket of the World ?
(A) Temperate Grass land (B) Tropical monsoonal region
(C) Savana Grass land (D) Mediterranean region
84. Which of the following percentage of solar radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere ?
(A) 14% (B) 16% (C) 10% (D) 20%
85. Which of the following time, the highest temperature is found in the Earth ?
(A) 12 NOON (B) 2 P.M. (C) l P.M. (D) 12.30 P.M.
86. Among the following countries, which one has the largest concentration of Railways ?
(A) India (B) South Africa (C) Egypt (D) Algeria
87. Which of the following countries produce the largest amount of crude steel of the World ?
(A) Japan (B) China (C) South Korea (D) India
88. Which one of the following statement is NOT correct ?
(A) India is the second largest producer of Nitrogenous Fertilizer in the World
(B) India is the ninth largest steel producing country in the World
(C) India is the second largest producer of Silk in the World
(D) India is the third in the World in Coal production
89. Which of the following crops are most suitable for cultivation under scanty rainfall ?
I. Horse gram II. Rice III. Mustard IV. Wheat
(A) I and II (B) II and IV (C) II and III (D) I and III
90. How many kilometers are represented by 1 degree of latitude ?
(A) 211 (B) 111 (C) 91 (D) 131
91. Which one of the following places is located at the confluence of Alakananda & Bhagirathi ?
(A) Vishnu prayag (B) Deva prayag (C) Rudra prayag (D) Karna prayag
92. The Amarkantak Hill is the source of two River flowing in two different directions (West and East), they are -
(A) Narmada and Tapi (B) Narmada and Mahanadi (C) Tapi and Betwa (D) Tapi and Son
93. Which of the following pairs is incorrectly matched ?
(A) Kosi : Consequent River (B) Narmada : Rift Valley River
(C) Sultej : Antecedent River (D) Ghagghar : River with interior drainage
94. The Indus and Brahmaputra Rivers are examples of :
(A) Subsequent Drainage (B) Super imposed Drainage
(C) Consequent Drainage (D) Antecedent Drainage
95. The immediate cause for the SE Trades to cross the equator and blow as SW Monsoon winds over India is the :
(A) Intense low pressure over Tibet (B) Heated Ganga Plain
(C) Intense low pressure are of Thar desert
(D) High temperature over Chhotonagpur Plateau
96. The term 'Regur' refers to :
(A) Deltaic alluvial soils (B) Lateritic soils (C) Black Cotton Soils (D) Red and yellow soils
97. The EL Nino which influence the Indian monsoon is-
(A) A cold ocean current that flows Northward along the Coast of Chile
(B) A warm ocean current that flows Westwards along the Coast of Ecuador and Peru
(C) A low pressure system over Western Coast of Spain
(D) N one of the above
98. The Black Cotton Soil of India-
I. Is mainly distributed over the River valley of the Deccan
II. Is distributed over the Lava Region of the Deccan
III. Has a great capacity of retaining moisture, is extremely fertile at surface
IV. Occupies about 10% of the total area of the country.
Choose the correct Code -
(A) I, II & III (B) I, III & IV (C) II & III (D) III & IV
99 ........... is the largest district of West Bengal in size -
(A) South 24 Parganas (B) Midnapore (West) (C) Burdwan (D) Jalpaiguri
100. Which one of the following statements is correct ?
(A) Stormy weather conditions is indicated by sudden fall in barometer reading
(B) Copernicus has for the first time stated that the Earth was spherical
(C) Cloudy nights are warmer compared to clear cloudless nights because of absorption of heat from atmosphere and send it towards Earth
(D) None of the above
101. Subhas Chandra Bose fought the presidential elections in 1939 on the ground that
(A) He did not like the nomination of Sitaramayya
(B) He pleaded for elections instead of nominations
(C) He was opposed to Gandhiji
(D) He favoured an aggressive policy which was opposed by the Congress Leaders
102. Lord Macaulay was associated with
(A) Reforms in the army (B) Abolition of Sati (C) Codification of Laws (D) Permanent settlement
103. The lower castes tried to assert themselves by borrowing and imitating customs and manners of the upper castes. This was termed as Sanskritisation by
(A) M. K. Gandhi (B) Bernard Cohn (C) B. R. Ambedkar (D) M. N. Srinivas
104. Who among the following was not a member of the Congress Socialist Party, although he encouraged and blessed its formation ?
(A) Achyuta Patwardhan (B) Jawaharlal Nehru (C) Jayaprakash Narayan (D) Acharya Nerendra Dev
105. The Congress president who conducted negotiations with Cripps in 1942 and Wavell at the Simla Conference was
(A) Abul Kalam Azad (B) Jawahar Lai Nehru (C) J. B. Kripalani (D) C. Rajagopalachari
106. Which one of the following adumbrated principles and constitutional provisions which were later incorporated in the Montague-Chelmsford Reforms ?
(A) Nehru Report (B) Wavell Plan (C) Lucknow Pact (D) Poona Pack
107. The British Government introduced the portfolio system for the first time in
(A) 1853 (B) 1855 (C) 1861 (D) 1892
108. The Whitley Commission was concerned with
(A) Labour (B) Education (C) Public Health (D) Reorganisation of Civil Service
109. The Indian Association played on important role in arousing national consciousness through the formation of the
(A) Indian National Congress (B) Bengal British Indian Society
(C) Indian National Congress (D) British India Association
110. Who designed the National Flag of India, adopted by the Constituent Assembly on July 21, 1947 ?
(A) Badar-ud-din-Tyabji (B) Rabindranath Tagore (C) Abanindranath Tagore (D) Abul Kalam Azad
111. Which of the following is correctly paired ?
(A) Panjabee - T. Prakasam and M. Krishna Rao (B) Bharata Mata - Ajit singh
(C) Krishna Patrika - M. G. Ranade (D) Quarterly Journal - Lajpat Rai
112. Which of the following is correctly paired ?
(A) Antipartition and Swadeshi Movements - Lord Lansdowne
(B) Factory Act of 1891 - Lord Curzon
(C) Establishment of an agricultural Research Institution at pusa - Lord Minto
(D) Rowlatt Act - Lord Chelmsford
113. Who said 'the congress movement was neither inspired by the people nor devised or planned by them ?
(A) Lala Lajpat Rai (B) Sir Syed Ahmad Khan (C) Lord Curzon (D) Lord Dufferin
114. Who described Bal Gangadhar Tilak as the 'father of Indian unrest' ?
(A) Valentine Chirol (B) Disrachi (C) Minto - II (D) Chelmsford
115. What is the name of the Bengali monthly founded and edited by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee in 1873 ?
(A) Soma Prakasha (B) Bangaduta (C) Bangadarshana (D) Bengalee
116. When and by whom was the 'Nair Service Society' founded ?
(A) 1905 - Narayana Guru (B) 1910 - T.M. Nair
(C) 1914 - M. Padmanabha Pillai (D) 1916 - K. Ramakrishna Pillai
117. Tamil journal, Kudi Arasu was founded by whom ?
(A) Anna Durai (B) P. Tyagaraja Ehetti (C) T.M.Nair (D) E.V. Ramaswamy Periyar
118. Which of the following were the original founder of the Theosophical society ?
(i) Madam H. P. Blavatsky (ii) Mrs. Annie Besant (iii) Colonel H. S. Olcott (iv) Colonel O. P Walburn
Choose the answer from the codes given below
(A) i and ii (B) ii and iii (C) i and iii (D) iii and iv
119. Keshab Chandra Sen
(i) Adopted a radical and comprehensive scheme of social reforms
(ii) Infused the concept of Bhakti into Brahmoism
(iii) Influenced the socio-religious reformer in Bombay and Madras.
(iv) Opposed the introduction of western education in India
Which one is correct
(A) i, ii and iii (B) ii, iii and iv (C) i, iii and iv (D) All of them
120. Which of the following books was not written by Swami Dayanand Saraswati ?
(A) Satyartha Prakash (B) Veda Prakash (C) Satyartha Bhumika (D) Veda Bhashya Bhumika
] 21. Who was the founder of secret society Abhinava Bharat ?
(A) Naren Bhattacharji (B) Jatin Mukherji (C) Ganesh Savarkar (D) Damodar Chapekar
122. All the established political parties and groups, except two, boycotted Simon commission, which were those two ?
(i) Hindu Mahasabha (ii) Justice Party (iii) Muslim League (iv) Punjab Unionists
Choose the correct answer from the codes given below
(A) ii and iii (B) i and ii (C) iv and ii (D) iii and iv
123. Which of the following is correctly matched ?
(A) Formation of the All India Kisan Sabha - 1935
(B) Foundation of the Congress Socialist party - 1934
(C) Foundation of the Forward Block - 1936
(D) Foundation of the Communist Party of India - 1939
124. What is the name of the newspaper published by the 'Indian Muslim League' ?
(A) Quam (B) Inquilab (C) Star of India (D) Dawn
125. When was the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) founded ?
(A) 1905 (B) 1907 (C) 1917 (D) 1927
126. Who said : 'This orderly disciplined anarchy should go, and if as a result there is complete lawlessness I would risk it' ?
(A) Jawaharlal Nehru (B) Mahatma Gandhi (C) Rajagopalachari (D) Ballav Bhai Patel
127. Who said : 'The Muslims were fools to ask for safeguard and the Hindus were greater fools to refuse them' ?
(A) Jawaharlal Nehru (B) Abul Kalam Ajad (C) Muhammed Ali (D) Subhas Bose
128. Who made the 'Dipawali Diclaration' and when
(A) Lord Irwin in 1929 (B) Lord Linlithgow in 1940
(C) Gandhi 1930 (D) Subhas Bose in 1941
129. Who among the following capitalilts served as a AICC treasurer for many years and went to jail in 1930 ?
(A) G. D. Birla (B) Jamunalal Bajaj (C) J. R. D. Tata (D) Walchand Hirachand
130. Who among the following played an important role in the signing of the Gandhi Irwin pact ?
(i) Motilal Nehru (ii) Tej Bahadur Sapru (iii) Madanmohan Malaviya (iv) Jayakar (v) Chintamani
Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(A) i and ii (B) ii and iv (C) ii and iii (D) iv and v
131. Which session of the Congress had 1889 Delegates ?
(A) Third Session of Madras (B) Fourth Session of Allahabad
(C) Fifth Session at Bombay (D) Sixth Session at Calcutta
132. Who founded the Indian Reforms Association in 1870 ?
(A) Ram Mohan Roy (B) Debendranath Tagore
(C) Keshab Chandra Sen (D) Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar
133. Which of the following groups did not get separate electorates by the Act of 1935 ?
(A) Anglo-Indians (B) Indian Christian (C) Europeans (D) Depressed Classes
134. Which of the following results of the Zamindari System was not an advantage to the British ?
(A) Creation of political allies (B) Minimisation of revenue administrative expenditure
(C) Permanent fixation of revenue demand (D) Provision of financial security
135. Which of the following pairs are correctly matched ?
(A) Banaras - Sir Colin Campbell (B) Jhansi - Sir Hugh Rose
(C) Kanpur - Brigadier General Neil (D) Lucknow - Major General Havelock
136. Indenture regulations which bound the artisans of Eastern India to sell their products exclusively to the English company from the Late 18th Century were known as
(A) Dadni (B) Damdupat (C) Khatbandi (D) Kamiya
137. Who among the following Britishers were associated with the introduction of Mahalwari System ?
(A) R. M. Bird (B) Sir John Lawrence (C) William Karey (D) Sir Alexandar Cunningham
138. What is the Chronological sequence of the following happenings ?
(i) August Declaration (ii) Lucknow Pact (iii) Jallianwalla Bagh Massacre (iv) Khaira Satyagraha
Select the answer from the codes given below ?
(A) iv, ii, iii and i (B) iii, i, ii and iv (C) ii, iv, i and iii (D) ii, i, iv and iii
139. Arrange flie following events in chronological order
(i) Champaran Satyagraha, (ii) Launching of the Khilafat Movement, (iii) Reunion of the Congress (Iv) Nagpur session of the Congress
Choose the correct answer from the codes given below :
(A) iii, i, ii and iv (B) iii, i , iv and ii (C) i, iii, iv and ii (D) i, iv, iii and ii
140. Which of the following newspapers / journals was from Maharashtra ?
(A) Kranti (B) Atmashakti (C) Sarathi (D) Sandhya
141. During whose period did the European soldiers stage the so called 'White-Mutiny' in India ?
(A) Dalhousie (B) Canning (C) Mayo (D) Ripon
142. Which of the following is not one of the causes responsible for the rise of money lenders in British India ?
(A) New revenue policy (B) New legal system
(C) New educational system (D) Commercialization of agriculture
143. Who is generally acknowledged as the pioneer of local self-Government in modern India ?
(A) Ripon (B) Hardinge - I (C) M. K. Gandhi (D) Curzon
144. Who was the first to attempt decentralization of financial administration ?
(A) Ripon (B) Mayo (C) Curzon (D) Lytton
145. The British officer who defeated Mir Qusim in a series of battles of 1763 was ?
(A) Major Hector Munro (B) Major Adams (C) Colonel Malleson (D) Colonel Holwell
146. Who confessed the following way ? 'We have no right to seize Sind, Yet we shall do so and a very big advantageous, useful, human piece of rascality it will be'.
(A) Lord Auckland (B) Lord Ellenborough (C) Sir Charles Napier (D) Major James Outram
147. Who was the Governor General when Sind was annexed ?
(A) Lord Auckland (B) Lord Ellenborough (C) Lord Dalhousie (D) Lord Hardinge-I
148. During whose reign did the post of Peshwa not only become powerful but also hereditary
(A) Rajaram (B) Shivaji - II (C) Sambhaji (D) Shahu
149. Who among the following got the title of 'Sena Karte' ?
(A) Balaji Biswanath (B) Balaji Baji Rao (C) Rajaram (D) Baji Rao - I
150. Which region in India provided the best quality salt petre and opium to the Europeans ?
(A) Coromondal (B) Gujrat (C) Bihar (D) Malabar
151. When and by whom were the Portuguese driven out of Hugli in Bengal ?
(A) 1625 - Shaista Khan (B) 1631 - Qasim Khan
(C) 1650 - Prince Murad (D) 1666 - Prince Shuja
152. What was the early capital ol the portugueu In India ?
(A) Goa (B) Cochin (C) Culient (D) Cannanore
153. Which one of the following Mughal emperors is credited with the composition of many Hindi Songs ?
(A) Humayun (B) Babur (C) Akbar (D) Jahangir
154. Which of the following manuscripts, containing miniature paintings, reveals a sense of realism and authenticity witnessed or experienced by the painters themselves
(A) Timur Namah (B) Akbar Namah (C) Jamiut-Tawarikh (D) Tariqi-Alfi
155. The subject matter of Hamzah namah is
(A) Architecture (B) Painting (C) Music (D) Philosophy
156. The only type of Jagir which could not be transferred was -
(A) Khidmati Jagir (B) Watan Jagir (C) MiIkiyat Jagir (D) Tan Jagir
157. During the reign of which great Mughal was tobacco introduced in India ?
(A) Jahangir (B) Akbar (C) Shahjahan (D) Aurangzeb
158. Which of the following mosques of the Mughals is also known as the 'pearl-mosque' ?
(A) Jamia Masjid at Delhi (B) Jamia Masjid at Fatehpur
(C) Moti Masjid at Agra (D) Aurangzeb's personal mosque in the Red Fort
159. Who among the following Mughal Minister was the 'pay master-general' as well ?
(A) Diwan (B) Mir Bakshi (C) Khan-i-Saman (D) Vakil
160. Who among the following nobles of Akbar was killed by the Afgan rebels in one of the Mughal campaigns to suppress them ?
(A) Man Singh (B) Todar Mal (C) Birbal (D) Bhagwan Das
161. Which of the following Rig Vedic Gods is said to be the upholder of the Rita or Cosmic Order ?
(A) Indra (B) Agni (C) Varuna (D) Soma
162. Which one of the following tribal assemblies has normally involved in the election of the tribal chief ?
(A) Samiti (B) Sabha (C) Gora (D) Vidata
163. 'House burials' are reported from :
(A) Gufral in Kashmir (B) Ghaligal - in the northeast (C) Uleri in Almora (D) Balathal in Rajasthan
164. Which of the following were the main items of export of the Indus people ?
(i) Gold and Silver (ii) Cotton goods (iii) Terra cottas (iv) Seals (v) Pottery
Select the answer from the codes below
(A) ii, iii and v (B) i, iii and iv (C) i, ii, iv and v (D) All of them
165. Who among the following archeologists has been claiming that he was successfully deciphered the Indus script, though others have not accepted the claim ?
(A) MEM Wheeler (B) Gordon Childe (C) K. M. Srivastava (D) S. R. Rao
166. According to the latest excavations, Manda is the ...... site of the Indus civilization ?
(A) Northern most (B) Southern most (C) Eastern most (D) Western most
167. Which one of the following types of Harappan pottery is said to be the earliest example of its kind in the world ?
(A) Polychrome (B) Glazed (C) Perforated (D) Knobbed
168. The Harappan bricks were mainly
(A) Sawn with the help of a saw-like instrument (B) Made in an open mouId
(C) Hand-made (D) Cut with the help of a chisel
169. Where do we find the three phases, viz. Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic Cultures in sequence ?
(A) Belan Valley (B) Krishna Valley (C) Godavari Valley (D) Kashmir Valley
170. Which of the following is not a principal tool of the Early Stone Age ?
(A) Scrapper (B) Handaxe (C) Cleaver (D) Chopper
171. Whicli Vijayanagara ruler sent an embassy to China ?
(A) Harihara - I (B) Krishna Deva Raya (C) Bukka - I (D) Saluva Narasimha
172. 'Every pearl in the royal crown is but the crystallized drops of blood fallen from the tearful eyes of the poor peasant'.
Who made this statement ?
(A) Amir Khusrau (B) Barauni (C) Ibn-Batutah (D) Al-Beruni
173. Who introduced the famous Persian festival of Nauroz ?
(A) Alauddin Khalji (B) Iltutmish (C) Balban (D) Firuz Tughlaq
174. The famous Jaina temples at Dilwara were built by
(A) Paramaras (B) Chandellas (C) Solankis (D) Chauhans
175. When were the Silkworms introduced into the Byzantine empire from China, adversely affecting India's already declining foreign trade ?
(A) 451 AD (B) 551 AD (C) 615 AD (D) 351 AD
176. Kalidasa's work include
(i) Abhigyana Sakuntalam (ii) Meghadootam (iii) Raghuvamsa (iv) Malavikagnimitram
(v) Ritusamhara (vi) Kumara Sambhava
Select the answer from the codes below -
(A) All of them (B) i, ii, iii and iv (C) i, ii, iv, v and vi (D) i, iii, iv and v
177. Which one of the following was the meeting ground for the Brahmanical and devotional religious levels ?
(A) Maths (B) Temples (C) Ghatikas (D) Samas
178. With which one of the following are the later foreign immigrants like Hunas, who came after the fall of Imperial Guptas, identified ?
(A) Kshatriyas (B) Fallen kshatriyas (C) Rajputs (D) Mlechchas
179. Which of the following is the main reason for the development of towns in the Harappan period ?
(A) Development of Science and technology (B) Development of Arts and crafts
(C) Growth of Trade and commerce (D) Increase in Agrarian surplus
180. Which one of the following has not been mentioned as 'asineva' in Ashokan inscriptions
(A) Greed and passion (B) Cruelty and anger (C) Pride and fury (D) Envy and revenge
181. Who was the Bacterian King that invaded India in about 182 BC and wrested a considerable part of the North West ?
(A) Demetrius (B) Antigonus (C) Philadelphus (D) Gondophernes
182. Who among the following started the general use of stone for monuments ?
(A) Chandra Gupta Maurya (B) Bimbisara (C) Bindusara (D) Asoka
183. 'Just as for my children, I desire that they should enjoy all happiness and prosperity both in this world and the next. So for all men I desire the like happiness and prosperity'.
This is stated in -
(A) Barabar Cave Inscriptions (B) Minor Rock Edicts (C) Tarai Pillars (D) Kallinga Inscriptions
184. According to 'Rajtarangini' Ashoka's favourite deity was
(A) Siva (B) Vishnu (C) Vasudeva (D) Buddha
185. Which of the following statement is incorrect ?
(A) Kautilya was Chandragupta's guide and mentor
(B) Chandragupta was succeeded by his son Bindusara
(C) Chandragupta was known to the Greeks as 'Amitrochates', the destroyer of foes
(D) Chandragupta is said to have died of slow starvation in south India
186. Which of the following sources describe the Mauryas as belonged to the Sudra Varna ?
(A) Puranas (B) Jatakas (C) Purvas (D) European Classical Writers
187. Which one of the following sources states that Srinagar was built by Asoka ?
(A) Kalahana's Rajtarangini (B) Divyavandana
(C) Taranatha's History of Tibet (D) Mahavamsa
188. Who among the following was not a Greek Ambassador staying at the Mauryan Court ?
(A) Megasthenes (B) Diodorus (C) Deimachus (D) Dionisius
189. Kontakasodhanas of the Mauryan period were
(A) Royal treasuries (B) Civil courts (C) Criminal courts (D) Police stations
190. The hereditary soldiers of the Mauryan period were known as
(A) Bhritakas (B) Mania (C) Vardhaki (D) Aravivala
191. Who among the following Rajputs were the first to voluntarily submit to Akbar ?
(A) Hedas (B) Sisodias (C) Rathors (D) Kachchhawahas
192. Who among the following Englishmen was given the title 'Khan' by Jahangir ?
(A) Thomas Roe (B) Ralph Fitch (C) Hawkins (D) Newbery
193. Who was the founder of' Gajapati Dynasty of Orissa ?
(A) Purushottam (B) Kapilendra (C) Prataparudra (D) Vidyadhara
194. Who was the founder of Sultanate of Madurai ?
(A) Jalaluddin Ahsan (B) Hussain Shah (C) Nusrat Shah (D) Dilwar Khan
195. Who built the 'Gol-Gombuj' at Bijapur famous for the world's second largest dome and the whispering gallery ?
(A) Mahmud Gawan (B) Yusuf Adil Shah (C) Ismail Adil Shah (D) Muhammed Adil Shah
196. Which Sufi Saint adopted Yogic breathing exercises and was called Sidh or perfect ?
(A) Nizamuddin Auliya (B) Farid (C) Salim Chisti (D) Muhammed Jilani
197. Who wrote Gitawali, Kavitawali and Vinaya Patrika ?
(A) Tulsidas (B) Surdas (C) Chaitanya (D) Namadeva
198. What is 'Asthavana'
(A) Land revenue department (B) A type of rice
(C) One-third of the produce of the land (D) House-tax
199. City of Nagalapura was built by -
(A) Bukka - II (B) Deva Raya- I (C) Krishnadevaraya (D) Virupaksha
200. During whose reign did Vijayanagara come into conflict with Orissa for the first time ?
(A) Bukka - II (B) Devaraya - I (C) Devaraya - II (D) Virupaksha - II