Motor – a machine converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. Construction of D.C motor is similar to D.C generator. Most types produce rotary motion. Another type is Linear motor which directly produces force and motion in a straight line.
When a current carrying cunductor enters in a magnetic field , a force is produced on it.
There are Three Types of DC Motors
- Shunt Wound or shunt motor
- Series Wound or Series Motor
- Compound Wund or compound motor
The Losses in DC Motor divided into five basic categories:
- Electrical or Copper Losses
- Core Losses or iron losses
- Brush Losses
- Mechanical Losses
- Stray-Load Losses
Three General Methods of speed control of D.C Motors
- Variaion of resistance in the armature circuit
- Variation of field flux
- Variation of applied voltage