ANTHROPOLOGY - PAPER I
Time allowed-3 Hours Full Marks-200
If the questions attempted are in excess of the prescribed number, only the questions attempted first up to the prescribed number shall be valued and the remaining ones ignored.
Answer may be written either in English or in Bengali but all answers must be in one and the same language.
Answer any three questions.
1. Briefly discuss the different types of numerical aberrations of chromosomes in man with the resultant syndromes and their characteristics. 12 + 20
2. Write down your ideas about Archaic Homo Sapiens. Describe one of the fossil-specimens of this category with its characterestics and phylogenetic status. 8+16+8
3. Classify the order Primate upto family level. Give at least three distinguishing features for each family along with three living examples and their geographical distributions. 32
4. Discuss the typologies and technologies of stone tool making and its gradual development from its emergence to Neolittic cultural age. 32
5. Discuss the different applications of Human Genetics within the scope of Biological Anthropoloty. 32
Answer any two questions.
6. Cdmpair the theoritical approach of Radcliffe Brown and Claude Levi-Strauss in terms of structuralism. 32
7. What is Economic Anthropology ? Discuss its different approaches for studying societies known to Anthropologists. 8+24
8. What do you know about social stratification ? What kind of stratification system is Indian Caste System ? Discuss with reference to different approaches of studying caste-system of India. 8+24
9. What is Ethnography ? Discuss different ways of data collection with special referrence to Participant Observation Method-its merits & demerits. 8+8+8+8
10. Write short notes on any two of the following :
(i) Application of GIS system in Afchaeological Anthropology.
(ii) Anthropology of Gender.
(iii) Function of Religion.
(iv) Methodologies of Growth Study.
(v) Pleistocene Epoch.
Answer any two questions.
11. Art mobilier' is referred to
(i) Home art (ii) Cave art (iii) Upper Palaeolithic Art forms (iv) None of the above. 20
12. Colour Blindness is a/an
(i) Autosomal recessine trait (ii) Sex-chromosomal trait
(iii) K-linked recessine trait (iv) None of the above. 20
13. The name of the scholar attacted with Interpretative Approach of Social-Cultural Anthropology is :
(i) Cliffard Geertz (ii) Mallinowski (iii) Levi-Strauss (iv) None of the above. 20
14. The Genealogical method was applied by Dr. Rivers among the
(i) The Toda (ii) The Chenchu (iii) The Garo (iv) The Khasi. 20