PSC Miscellaneous ( Preli) Exam -2012 English Version
1. The ratio of two number is 4:5 and their L.C.M. is 100. Determine their sum ?
(A) 90 (B) 40 (C) 50 (D) 45
2. Which of the following is a Vector quantity ?
(A) Mass (B) Temperature (C) Displacement (D) Time
3. The character ‘James Bond' was created by
(A) Ian Fleming (B) Harold Robins (C) James Hadley Chase (D) Jules Verne
4. The author of ‘Padatik’ is
(A) Sukanta Bhattacharyay (B) Kazi Nazrul Islam (A) Arun Mitra (D) Subhash Mukhopadhyay
5. Name the first democratically elected President of Egypt
(A) Mohammed Morsi (B) Hosni Mubarak (C) Muammar Gaddafi (D) Ali Abdullah Saleh
6. In which district of West Bengal did 'Chhow' dance originate
(A) Uttar Dinajpur (B) West Midnapore (C) Bankura (D) Purulia
7. In an Election for a Panchayat, there were two candidates. A total of 9820 votes were polled. 110 votes were declared invalid. The successful candidate got 6 votes for every 4 votes his opponent had. The margin did the successful candidate win
(A) 1900 (B) 1930 (C) 1942 (D) 1950
8. A Certain work can be done by A and B in 6 days, by B and C in 12 days. If C, alone can do the same work in 36 days then how long will it take to finish the work by. working A, B and C together ?
(A) 5 days (B) 5 days (C) 5 days (D) 5 days
9. Mammary glands are modification of
(A) Sweat gland (B) Sebaceous gland (C) Salivary gland (D) Lacrimal gland
10. An atom of an element differs from an atom of one of its isotopes in the number of
(A) Neutrons in the nucleus (B) Protons in the nucleus (C) Valence electrons (D) Protons outside the nucleus
11. ‘Bhrantibilas’ is a novel by
(A) Iswarcandra Vidyasagar (B) Debendranath Tagore (C) Rammohan Roy (D) Azizul Haque
12. Unit of Wave length is
(A) Cm (B) Pascal (C) Sec. (D) Cm/Sec.
13. According to the Right to Education Act and the recent verdict of the Supreme Court, what percentage of children have to be provided free education in private schools ?
(A) 30% (B) 22% (C) 25% (D) 35%
14. What is the average rate of growth of the Indian economy during the 11th Plan Period ?
(A) 7% (B) 7.5% (C) 8% (D) 8.5%
15. Which emperor has been called ‘Napoleon of India’ ?
(A) Asoka (B) Kanishka (C) Samudragupta (D) Chandragupta II Vikramaditya
16. Which of the following acid can dissolve gold ?
(A) HNO3 (B) H2SO4 (C) H2SeO4 (D) HClO4
17. It has to pay Rs. 225/- as bill when 9 bulbs are used for 30 days using them for 4 hours per day. Find the number of days if 5 bulbs are used for 6 hours per day for the payment of Rs. 375/- against the bill.
(A) 60 (B) 55 (C) 50 (D) 45
18. What type of new Public Sector Bank is proposed set up in the 2013-14 Union Budget of India ?
(A) Agricultural Bank (B) Industrial Bank (C) Commercial Bank (D) Women’s Bank
19. Ustad Amzad Ali Khan is associated with
(A) Violin (B) Sarod (C) Tabla (D) Sitar
20. The compound interest on a certain sum for 2 years is Rs. 410/- and the simple interest for the same period is Rs. 400/-. The rate of interest is
(A) 4% (B) 5% (C) 4.5% (D) 5.1%
21. In 2012, the WHO declared India to be free from which disease ?
(A) Small Pox (B) Polio (C) Tuberculosis (D) Chicken Pox
22. Which Dam is currently at the centre of a controversy tween Kerala and Tamil Nadu ?
(A) Nagarjunasagar Dam (B) Mullaperyar Dam (C) Perunchani Dam (D) Mettur Dam
23. ‘Anna Karenina’ was composed by
(A) Tolstoy (B) Gorky (C) Dostoevsky (D) Turgenev
24. Which of the following pairs is from the same group periodic table ?
(A) Mg, Ca (B) Mg, K (C) Mg, Cu (D) Mg, I
25. The compound interest, calculated yearly, on a certain sum of money for the second year is Rs. 800/- and for the third year is Rs. 864/-. The rate of interest will be
(A) 8% (B) 10% (C) 9% (D) 6%
26. Who is the chairman of NABARD?
(A) Prakash Bakshi (B) C. Rangarajan (C) C. B. Bhave (D) None of the above
27. Monocot flowers and dicot flowers differ in
(A) Monocot flowers are larger than those of dicot (B) Monocot flowers possess no smell
(C) Monocot flowers possess no nectaries (D) Monocot flowers are not coloured
28. Who is known as the father of White Revolution in India
(A) Verghese Kurien (B) M. S. Swaminathan (C) P. G. Bantol (D) Sam Pitroda
29. What is the maximum gap allowed between two parliamentary sessions?
(A) Four months (B) Three months (C) Six months (D) Six weeks
30. ‘Bhuban Shome’ is composed by
(A) Nillohit (B) Banaful (C) Manik Bandyopadhyaya (D) Ranjan
31. Ions are formed from neutral atoms by
(A) gain of electron (B) loss of electron (C) loss or gain of electron (D) sharing of electron
32. At first the income of a person is reduced by 50%. Then his income is increased by 50%. What is the percentage increase or decrease of his income?
(A) Decrease 25% (B) Increase 25% (C) Increase 75% (D) No change
33. The Constituent Assembly was formed on the basis
(A) Cripps Mission, 1942 (B) Wavell Plans, 1945
(C) Cabinet Mission Plan, 1946 (D) Mountbatten Plan, 1947
34. How many silver medals did India win in London Olympics, 2012?
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5
35. ‘Adonais’ is written by
(A) Lord Tennyson (B) P.B. Shelley (C) Jhon Keats (D) John Milton
36. Tick out the odd combination
(A) Cu, Ag, Au (B) Na, K, Rb (C) Zn, Cd, Hg (D) F, Si, I
37. Which is the only union territory to have its own Court ?
(A) Andaman and Nicobar Islands (B) Daman and Diu (C) Delhi (D) Lakshadweep
38. Applying pulling force a string of rubber is increased by 40% and then force is withdrawn. What percentage of length is decreased to regain its original configuration?
(A) 40% (B) 34 % (C) 32 % (D) %
39. ‘Vanishing colour’ may be prepared by mixing pheolphthalein with
(A) carbon dioxide water (B) sulphurous acid (C) dilute solution of caustic soda (D) dilute ammonia solution
40. Who wrote the ‘Ain-i-Akbari’?
(A) Abul Fazal (B) Badaoni (C) Faizi (D) Gulbadan Begum
41. What is the main function of the Finance Commission ?
(A) Reviewing of National Plan from time to time
(B) Distribution of revenues between Union and States
(C) Inquiring into and advising upon disputes arising between two States.
(D) Formulation of Plans for all round development
42. Which country does the present Pope Francis belong to ?
(A) Italy (B) Argentina (C) Austria (D) Brazil
43. Who was the inspiration behind ‘Young Bengal’ Movement ?
(A) Madhusudan Dutt (B) Henry Louis Vivian Derozio (C) Krishnamohan Baneijee (D) Ramgopal Ghosh
44. Saturated hydrocarbons are termed paraffins because
(A) they are much less reactive (B) they are highly reactive
(C) they are insoluble in water (D) they are noncombustible
45. Why are Fundamental Rights different from Directive Principles?
(A) Fundamental Rights are not bindings upon States and its agencies
(B) Fundamental Rights are enforceable in Courts of Law and Directive Principles are not
(C) Directive Principles are enforceable in Courts of Law and Fundamental Rights are not
(D) Directive Principles are binding upon States
46. Mary Kom won the bronze medal in the London 2012 Olympics for which event ?
(A) Women’s heavy weight Boxing
(B) Women’s 60 kg freestyle Boxing
(C) Women’s fly weight Boxing
(D) None of the above
47. Who is called “Sher-i-Punjab” ?
(A) Ranjit Singh (B) Amar Singh (C) Lala Lajpat Rai (D) Bhagat Singh
48. Water gas is a mixture of
(A) CO, CH4 and C2H2
(B) CO, CO2 and methane
(C) CO and H2
(D) CO and N2
49. The words ‘Secular’ and ‘Socialist’ has been added to the Preamble by which amendment ?
(A) 45th amendment, 1980
(B) 42nd amendment, 1976
(C) 44th amendment, 1978
(D) 43rd amendment, 1977
50. The difference between the greatest and lowest numbers formed out of the four digits 8, 9, 0, 7 is
(A) 9081 (B) 1809 (C) 2047 (D) 2781
51. ‘Kuchipudi’ dance originated in
(A) Rajasthan (B) Karnataka (C) Andhra Pradesh (D) Manipur
52. Jhelum is an important river of
(A) Jammu and Kashmir (B) Punjab (C) Haryana (D) Rajasthan
53. Acid rains occur due to
(A) Presence of CO2 in the atmosphere
(B) Presence of CO and CO2 in the atmosphere
(C) Presence of Ozone in the atmosphere
(D) Presence of SO2 and SO3 in the atmosphere
54. A, B and C gain Rs. 3,500/- from a joint stock business. If the ratio of the capitals of A and B be 5:2 and that of B and C be 3:2, determine A’s share in profit.
(A) Rs. 2,100/- (B) Rs. 840/- (C) Rs. 560/- (D) Rs. 600/-
55. An A.C. machine is priced at Rs. 15,000/- and is Sold at a discount of 10%. There is a further off-season discount of 5% on the net amount. The customer pay
(A) Rs. 14,000/- (B) Rs. 13,000/- (C) Rs. 12,825/- (D) Rs. 12,500/-
56. A trader has written 20% excess price on a saree but while selling it, gives a 5% discount. Profit is
(A) 10% (B) 12% (C) 14% (D) 13%
57. The simplest value of
(A) 1 (B) 2 (C) (D)
58. The river Ajoy flows between
(A) Damodar and Rupnarayan
(B) Rupnarayan and Kangsabati
(C) Subamarekha and Rupnarayan
(D) Damodar and Mayurakshi
59. Which of the following is most harmful for human being?
(A) α-particles (B) β-particles (C) γ-rays (D) Light rays
60. Which was the longest Grand Slam Singles Final in thenistory of Lawn Tennis?
(A) French Open (B) Wimbledon (C) U.S. Open (D) Australian Open
61. In which year the ‘GreatEscape’ of Subhas Chandra took place?
(A) 1939 A.D. (B) 1940 A.D. (C) 1941 A.D. (D) 1942 A.D.
62. What is the colour of the ring of the Olympic Flag that represents Asia?
(A) Red (B) Green (C) Yellow (D) White
63. Which territories of India were first liberated from British rule and renamed as ‘Sahid’ and ‘Swaraj’?
(A) Kohima (B) Delhi (C) Andaman and Nicobar Islands (D) Nagaland
64. Which one of the following insects is the carrier of microfilaria
(A) Tabanus (B) Culex mosquito (C) Anopheles mosquito (D) Aedes mosquito
65. At what rate of interest will Rs. 360/- amount to Rs. 522/- in 5 years?
(A) 8% (B) 8 % (C) 9% (D) %
66. Who was the first captain of Independent India’s Olympic Football team?
(A) P. K. Banerjee (B) Chuni Goswami (C) Sailen Manna (D) Talimeren Ao
67. The highest peak in India is
(A) Napdadevi (B) Kanchenjunga (C) Karakoram (D) Everest
68. Ascariasis spread through
(A) Polluted air (B) Polluted water (C) Contaminated food (D) Bacteria
69. At what rate will the interest on Rs. 900/- in 4 years be equal to the interest on Rs. 720/- in 6 years at 5% per annum ?
(A) 4% (B) 5% (C) 6% (D) 6 %
70. The largest town on the river Ganga is
(A) Kanpur (B) Delhi (C) Lucknow (D) Kolkata
71. Which team won the IPL Season V trophy in 2012 ?
(A) Mumbai Indians (B) Chennai Super Kings (C) Kokata Knight Riders (D) Delhi Daredevils
72. The highest plateau in India is
(A) Tibet (B) Pamir (C) Ladakh (D) Pirpanjal
73. For measuring flow of current, the device is used
(A) Voltmeter (B) Galvanometer (C) Ammeter (D) Potentiometer
74. Which of the following has no green house effect ?
(A) CH4 (B) N2O (C) SO2 (D) H2O
75. A train 280 meters long is moving at speed of 60 km./hr. The time (second) taken by the train to cross a platform 220 meters long is
(A) 20 (B) 25 (C) 30 (D) 35
76. Rourkela iron and steel industry is located on the nver
(A) Mahanadi (B) Godabari (C) Koel (D) Brahmani
77. 'Brajeswar’ and ‘Prafulla’ are the characters from
(A) Durgeshnandini (B) Sitaram (C) Indira (D) Devi Chowdhurani
78. Some people can do three-seventh of a work in 28 days. To finish the rest of work in 21 days 14 more people were appointed. Determine the number of those people who were appointed initially.
(A) 12 (B) 16 (C) 18 (D) 20
79. What is the greatest presquare number of 7265 ?
(A) 7221 (B) 7224 (C) 7225 (D) 7229
80. What is the unit of power ?
(A) Half life (B) Watt (C) Volt (D) Joule
81. India’s earliest contact with Islam came through
(A) Arab invasion of Sindh
(B) Turkish invasion
(C) Sufi saints and Arab travellers
(D) Arab merchants of Malabar Coast
82. Yehudi Menuhin became a world famous musician by playing
(A) Piano (B) Violin (C) Guitar (D) Flute
83. The film ‘The adventures of Tintin’ is directed by
(A) Steve Jones (B) Steven Speilberg (C) Collin Hanks (D) Charlie Chaplin
84. The greatest number of 33 % of 4, 2% of 5000, 45% of 200.8, 121 is
(A) 33 % of 4 (B) 2% of 5000 (C) 45% of 200.8 (D) 121
85. ‘IAGO’ is a character of the drama
(A) Hamlet (B) Arms and the Man (C) Justice (D) Othello
86. What is the unit of volume in CGS system ?
(A) cm2 (B) cm3 (C) km (D) m
87. ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ was written by
(A) Sir Walter Scott (B) Charles Dickens (C) R. L. Stevenson (D) T. S. Eliot
88. A person weighs 80 Kg. By morning walk, at the beginning of each year, he decreases 5% weight. His weight after 3 years will be
(A) 68 Kg. (B) 68.75 Kg. (C) 68.59 Kg. (D) 68.50 Kg.
89. In still water the actual speed of a boat is 10 km./hr. and the speed of the river-current is 4 km./hr. What time will it take to cover a distance of 30 km. against the current ?
(A) 2 hrs. (B) 3 hrs. (C) 4 (D) 5 hrs.
90. The simplest value of (0.25)2 + (0.25)1/2 × (0.5)3
(A) .0125 (B) 0.125 (C) 1.25 (D) 12.5
91. ‘Frankenstein' is
(A) A film by Alfred Hitchcock
(B) A novel by Mary Shelley
(C) A detective story by Conan Doyle
(D) A short story by O. Henry
92. ‘Harshabardhan'and 'Gobardhan' — these two characters are created by
(A) Narayan Debnath (B) Narayan Gangopadhyaya
(C) Shibram Chakraborty (D) Shaila Chakraborty
93. Due to rotten fish a fish trader forces loss. If the purchase value is Rs. 250/-, the selling price will be
(A) Rs. 220/- (B) Rs. 230/- (C) Rs. 225/- (D) Rs. 235/-
94. Each ofA and B got 8 wickets for 28 runs. Afterwards A got one wicket for 35 runs and B got 4 wickets for 56 runs. Whose average of getting wicket was better ?
(A) A is better (B) B is better (C) A and B are same (D) None of the above
95. Ductless glands secrete
(A) Blood (B) Tissue fluid (C) Enzymes (D) Hormones
96. The Ular lake is situated to the
(A) North east of Srinagar
(B) North west of Srinagar
(C) South east of Srinagar
(D) South west of Srinagar
97. Who is the first Indian to hit a Triple century in Test Cricket?
(A) Virender Sehwag (B) VVS Laxman (C) Sachin Tendulkar (D) Sunil Gavaskar
98. The largest steel plant in India is
(A) Jamshedpur (B) Bokaro (C) Durgapur (D) Bhilai
99. The organ related to locomotion in Amoeba sp. is
(A) Cilia (B) Flagella (C) Parapodia (D) Pseudopodia
100. In a box there are 378 coins combining 1 rupee, 50 and 25 paise coins. The ratio of their values is 13:11:7. Determine the number of 25 paise coins.
(A) 78 (B) 132 (C) 168 (D) 190
question no. 99. largest steel plant in India
ans.should be d) Bhilai