The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper on “General Studies”. The question paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple choice questions. The paper will carry 200 marks and will be of 2hours 30 mins duration. The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a Bachelor of Commerce of a recognised Indian University/Institute. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge.
1. English Composition … 25 Marks
2. General Knowledge including General Mental Ability … 25 Marks
3. Current events of National & International Importance … 25 Marks
4. History of India with special reference to Indian National Movements … 25 Marks
5. Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal … 25 Marks
6. Indian Economics & Indian Political System … 25 Marks
7. Constitution of India with special reference to Planning Commission, Finance Commission, Finance, Accounts & Audit … 25 Marks
8. Commerce … 25 Marks
The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only. The marks obtained in this examination by the candidate will not be considered for final selection. Only those candidates who will be declared qualified in the Preliminary Examination in a year will be eligible for admission to the West Bengal Audit & Accounts Service Main Examination of that year.